Light-O-Rama Forums

Vocal vs. Instrumental?

MphsGal

On 1/4/2018 at 8:46 PM, dibblejr said:

A great singing face sequence can get you dead on for vocal timings.

JR

George's sequence proves you don't always have to have a singing face to make a sequence great, it's all about the timing and how you blend in the props.

• Like 1

I use both as well.  I don't have the standard type of singing faces but I have created faces on my roof matrix that I use for the kids songs (Jingle Bells by Tigger & Pooh).  On songs like Pentatonic I don't use any type of faces and just utilize effects to create a feeling for the vocals.  Have never felt or had anyone say they didn't like the songs with vocals.  They usually help stir the crowd up a little because adults & kids alike will start singing along (especially with the "fun" songs).

22 hours ago, caniac said:

George's sequence proves you don't always have to have a singing face to make a sequence great, it's all about the timing and how you blend in the props.

Thanks for the kind words Chet.  And you're absolutely right.

I've never had a singing face, tree, duck, pumpkin, bulb or anything else and never will.  There's nothing at all novel or unique about those.  (Okay - maybe the duck would be, but I digress.)

Same goes for pixel billboards in the display and/or 8-bit cartoons scrolling around a mega tree. Just not my cup of tea.  To each their own.

Yet every single sequence I've ever done (except for the street-sweeper Soldier's Silent Night) is dead on with the beat.  That's 99% due to LOR and their Beat Wizard tool.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I've never had a singing face, tree, duck, pumpkin, bulb or anything else and never will.  There's nothing at all novel or unique about those.  (Okay - maybe the duck would be, but I digress.)

Same goes for pixel billboards in the display and/or 8-bit cartoons scrolling around a mega tree. Just not my cup of tea.  To each their own.

Yet every single sequence I've ever done (except for the street-sweeper Soldier's Silent Night) is dead on with the beat.  That's 99% due to LOR and their Beat Wizard tool.

I'm with ya on this one George. Not my cup of tea either. Some have done a great job on theirs and I'm sure the kids love it. Just not for me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I am ok with some of that (pixel boards, singing ducks, et al) but in moderation.  But what drives me a bit nuts was some of the Pixel displays on GCLF that where 100% pixel but only three or four of the effects used over and over and over and over again.  What got me into this hobby was the creativity most of you show, have always been a fan of your work because of your use of props and non-traditional music.  You never use every prop on at once but usually have them timed to make an appearance at the right time.  You are the only person that has ever gotten me thinking "you know Pink Floyd really should be Christmas music"!! :)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, caniac said:

For those at the OKC mini we had someone bring a four panel P10 matrix which got me to asking questions (cost, max size, et al).  For what I did this year it was the perfect solution.  And most of us know "when momma is happy everyone is happy".

Yes, that was a nice demo at the OKC mini Mark and Liz did. And what you did for your display turned out great Chet. Those panels blended in great with your mega tree and roof trim. The window panel especially.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Yes, that was a nice demo at the OKC mini Mark and Liz did. And what you did for your display turned out great Chet. Those panels blended in great with your mega tree and roof trim. The window panel especially.

That was a great experience for my wife and I, we will be eternally grateful to you for hosting that event.  We return to NC next month but will attempt to go to this years event.