Light-O-Rama Forums
  • Announcements

• DevMike

1/18/2018 - LOR has resumed operations after the fire   01/17/2018

As of 1/18 we have resumed operations.  On 1/16 a fire occurred in the same building that houses the main LOR offices and manufacturing.    More information can be found in 'Important Announcements'.    
k6ccc

Back to S5

Well, now that Christmas is pretty well over (my show runs through next Monday), I will be back to working with the S5 beta.  I had reloaded S4 on everything shortly before I started my Christmas show.  Loaded 5.0.16 on two computers today and will update my primary sequencing computer sometime over the weekend.  Then I will be putting a serious effort to test out S5.  As has been the case before my 7 week hiatus, my primary concern will be SuperStar integration.  At least back a few revisions ago, it was horrible.  There was no way to sequence the entire show in SuperStar unless you used Visualization files created in S4.  I will also test to see if Visualization files will properly import into Preview Editor.  Again back a few revisions ago, they would import, but you could not get motion effects rows on props that were imported.  That makes them useless for use with SuperStar.  If that does not work, then I get to completely build a Preview from scratch.  That is not as bad as it sounds as I will be making some pretty major changes to my hardware so a lot will need to be rebuilt anyway.

Expect me to be real active here starting next week...  You have been warned 😁

Jim,

I look forward to the feedback!

Preview groups are more robust in 5.0.16 -- you can now rotate each member of the group individually. For example, if you have a CCR tree with Brian's 6-channel star, you could group the star and the ribbons before, but the star would not be in the correct orientation for existing SuperStar sequences. With the new group capabilities, this can be fixed.

In 5.0.18, we hope to include some pre-built props like the S4 Visualizer came with (CCR trees, etc).

Matt

Well, I just made sure I had everything set for my closing night on Monday, so now, this computer is going to get 5.0.16...

I look forward to seeing what I can do.

3 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Jim,

Preview groups are more robust in 5.0.16 -- you can now rotate each member of the group individually. For example, if you have a CCR tree with Brian's 6-channel star, you could group the star and the ribbons before, but the star would not be in the correct orientation for existing SuperStar sequences. With the new group capabilities, this can be fixed.

In 5.0.18, we hope to include some pre-built props like the S4 Visualizer came with (CCR trees, etc).

Matt

Matt I have a question I also will be switching to S5 next week in S4 I would buy a  Ccr tree sequence from Brian  send it to sequence editor create sequence then send it to Pixel Editor to finish sequencing existing props    I don't see how to do that in S5   Any info you can give thanks Dennis 

Edited by Dennis Laff

Well, after confirming that creating a Preview from a Visualization still resulted in completely unusable props when trying to use SuperStar, I am now creating a preview in 5.0.16 from scratch.  I have run into the first problem.  Dumb RGB strips, Dumb RGB floods, and White bulbs are creating a problem.  Although I can create RGB bulbs, I can't figure out any way to make them appear as anything but a single tiny dot that is so small that they are barely visible.  The screen capture below was taken from SuperStar using a Visualization created in S4.  I am essentially trying to re-create this arrangement in a S5 Preview.  The white arrows point out 10 white lights.  The yellow arrow is three RGB dumb strips.  The red arrows are also each a RGB dumb strip around a brick tree ring that also has a dumb RGB flood light  - the green arrows.  The golden arrow points out three RGB column lights, and lastly the two blue arrows are each dumb RGB light box that are my Tune To signs.  I did finally figure out how to make the steps by making them dumb RGB arches with one segment and a bunch of pixels, but tell me there is an easier way to make the ring other than make it with a bunch of bulbs and manually move each one into place one at a time?  Same thing if I try to use several other predefined shapes.  The floods, column lights, and white lights I could not find any way to make them as anything but a single tiny dot.

Annotated_Visualization.png

Jim,

After reading and re-reading your post, I think I understand what you are trying to do. I took a couple of minutes and created the props for what you have posted.

For a ring, I used an arch, then copied it, and rotated the copy to form a ring. As far as the bulb size, you can change that in the lower left corner. For the eclipse, I just flattened out the arches.

Here is a pic, of what I think you are trying to do. If this isn't it let me know. Also here is the .lpeprop file. (Right Click - Save As) None of the network info is filled out and the number of nodes is probably not accurate, I was winging it. :P

There might be other ways to do it, this seemed like a good starting point. Once the props are completed you can group them together. ie. dumb strip ring 1 and dumb strip ring 2 can be grouped together to form a ring when you sequence.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

jims%20layout.png

Edited by default

Thanks Alan.  I won’t be able to look at that until this evening - I get to spend the next 6 hours or so driving a U-Haul truck...

I understand making the ring out of two arches.  I’ll have to play to be able to make two arches as one prop.  Same for the size of the dumb lights.  I don’t doubt that there is a size adjustment, I just had not found one.  

One more that popped up after my post last night.  There is an option in creating a prop for custom.  It would appear to allow defining a custom shape.  However no matter what I did, it only created a single pixel dot that was located in the very bottom left corner of the layout with no ability to move it.  Am I missing something?

22 hours ago, default said:

For a ring, I used an arch, then copied it, and rotated the copy to form a ring. For the eclipse, I just flattened out the arches.

I see how you created the tree rings out of two arches, but how do you get them to behave as a singe RGB channel?  Next, how do I get a motion effects row so I can sequence them in SuperStar?  I can only add a motion effects row for each individual prop (a single dumb RGB strip - or more properly, half of it).  Kind of useless.  I seem to recall something a while back about grouping (and that Groups created in the Preview Editor and Groups created in the Sequencer are not the same thing and don't work the same), but that does not help.

As far as the bulb size, you can change that in the lower left corner.

Found it.  I was expecting on to be in Prop Definition page.

Once the props are completed you can group them together. ie. dumb strip ring 1 and dumb strip ring 2 can be grouped together to form a ring when you sequence.

I tried doing that by creating a group in Preview Editor and also by creating a group in Sequencer and neither would allow me to sequence both haves of the ring together (unless I selected both rows).  And that does not help with SuperStar...

I'm going to sleep...

Can you post a picture of what your grid in SS looks like? or even post your vis file you use for SS? That might help me understand how you plan to sequence in SS. Creating the props is one hurdle, the other is to set up the props in S5 to match what your grid looks like in S4 SS. (vis file)

Alan...

SuperStar_grid.png

thats actually the 2016 grid, but I already had the screen capture on my website so it was easy to post.

47 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

SuperStar_grid.png

thats actually the 2016 grid, but I already had the screen capture on my website so it was easy to post.

Here is a prop of mine that I imported from the visualizer to S5 preview. The prop has 240 pixels total. I made this prop a group. After doing that I inserted superstar effects on the prop from one of my sequences. After doing that it doesn't come close to looking like what it should. I tried changing all of the arrangement settings in preview with no luck. Brian set the prop up for me the best he could to make sequencing make sense.

ss.jpg

I have noticed that S5 inserts superstar effects just fine as long as it is a setup such as a matrix or a tree or a simple line. But for a more complicated set up such as my pixel spinner it just doesn't seem to work.

10 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I see how you created the tree rings out of two arches, but how do you get them to behave as a singe RGB channel?

I made a quick video for this question. I'm still working on your other answers. ;)

Alan...

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:35 PM, k6ccc said:

Thanks Alan.  I won’t be able to look at that until this evening - I get to spend the next 6 hours or so driving a U-Haul truck...

I understand making the ring out of two arches.  I’ll have to play to be able to make two arches as one prop.  Same for the size of the dumb lights.  I don’t doubt that there is a size adjustment, I just had not found one.  

One more that popped up after my post last night.  There is an option in creating a prop for custom.  It would appear to allow defining a custom shape.  However no matter what I did, it only created a single pixel dot that was located in the very bottom left corner of the layout with no ability to move it.  Am I missing something?

Why don't you use the wreath prop for a ring

On 12/31/2017 at 9:31 AM, default said:

I made a quick video for this question. I'm still working on your other answers.

The video helped - Thank you.  The key was to use the "Use the same channels as" function as opposed to manually assigning the same channels.  Apparently that function does a lot more than just assign the same channels.  It combines the props (at least sort of).

22 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Why don't you use the wreath prop for a ring

That gets me a single dot that I can't do anything with.  I think I tried every option and the only thing that does not give a single dot is to make it a multi section wreath which gets a widely spaced row of 1 pixel by 1 pixel dots that I can't do anything with.

Update:  Apparently the default size when creating the wreath the first time was massively huge.  I started pushing the "Change Height and Width" button and it started moving the one dot.  I kept moving the dot to keep it on the screen and kept making it smaller.  After about 10 times it became two dots, and then three after a few more shrinkings.  After close to 20 times of shrinking as much as I could and still keep the dots on the screen, moving the dots to the top of the screen and shrinking again, it was obvious that the dots were forming an arc.  It took close to 40 times of shrinking and moving to get the entire circle on the screen.  My Prop design screen was full screen on a 1920 x 1080 monitor, so I'm guessing that the wreath started out somewhere between 50 - 100 thousand pixels across - hence the reason I only saw one dot originally.  BTW, creating a second wreath defaulted to a realistic size to start with...

So with all that said, a wreath should work fine.  Thanks Dennis.

On 12/29/2017 at 6:28 PM, MattBrown said:

Jim,

Well, I have something positive.  I spent the last couple evenings building a preview from scratch that matches my 2017 lights.  Then exported one of my 2017 sequences from SuperStar in legacy format instead of an intensity file and opened it in S5 Sequencer.  After several misses where I had assigned some prop as LOR channels instead of DMX or vice versa a couple times, I got all the channels to import correctly.  I then played the sequence in S5 Sequencer on my brand new preview.  Not only did it play correctly, but on my somewhat crappy video card it never missed a beat.  In S4, the video card simply could not keep up with the video on fast parts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Well, I have something positive.  I spent the last couple evenings building a preview from scratch that matches my 2017 lights.  Then exported one of my 2017 sequences from SuperStar in legacy format instead of an intensity file and opened it in S5 Sequencer.  After several misses where I had assigned some prop as LOR channels instead of DMX or vice versa a couple times, I got all the channels to import correctly.  I then played the sequence in S5 Sequencer on my brand new preview.  Not only did it play correctly, but on my somewhat crappy video card it never missed a beat.  In S4, the video card simply could not keep up with the video on fast parts.

Jim, Can you explain what you mean by saying you assigned some lor channels instead of dmx? I too used only intensity files last year. Are you saying you changed all of your channels to lor channels and then imported the sequence as a legacy sequence instead and got all of them to work correctly? Thanks

35 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

Jim, Can you explain what you mean by saying you assigned some lor channels instead of dmx? I too used only intensity files last year. Are you saying you changed all of your channels to lor channels and then imported the sequence as a legacy sequence instead and got all of them to work correctly? Thanks

No.  Background first.  For 2017, I have 4,581 E1.31 channels and 955 LOR channels.  Since 2015, all my Christmas sequences have been Intensity files created 100% in SuperStar. 

When I was building a 2017 Preview in S5, I had inadvertently set a couple props to be LOR channels (the default) instead of DMX channels that they should have been.  The result of that was then when I opened a 2017 sequence that had been created in SuperStar (and exported in Legacy format) in S5 Sequencer, it reported that a bunch of channels did not have a match to channels in the Preview that I was using.  Therefore, those channels were put into Archived status.  So I carefully checked the channel config for the archived channels and found my error in the Preview setup and corrected it.  Then I was able to close and then re-open the exported sequence using the corrected Preview and it opened correctly with no Archived channels.

Question for Matt - The only way I could cause the S5 Sequencer to use the revised Preview was to close the sequence and re-open it.  I tried various combinations of selecting the same (now revised) preview, and also "Reset Props and Groups", but that did not help.  I'm guessing that I missed some step.  Is there an easier way?

One more Matt - As prep for writing this post, I opened v5.0.16 on this old XP computer, and there is no Preview listed.  Where it would be (above the view) is just gray - see image below.

S5.0.16_no_Preview_listed.png

BTW, this screen capture was taken on my old XP computer using an older preview created in 5.0.6 or 5.0.8 with a loredit file that was created back when that was current.  It is not related to the rest of this thread other than the lack of Preview selection on this old XP computer.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

No.  Background first.  For 2017, I have 4,581 E1.31 channels and 955 LOR channels.  Since 2015, all my Christmas sequences have been Intensity files created 100% in SuperStar. 

When I was building a 2017 Preview in S5, I had inadvertently set a couple props to be LOR channels (the default) instead of DMX channels that they should have been.  The result of that was then when I opened a 2017 sequence that had been created in SuperStar (and exported in Legacy format) in S5 Sequencer, it reported that a bunch of channels did not have a match to channels in the Preview that I was using.  Therefore, those channels were put into Archived status.  So I carefully checked the channel config for the archived channels and found my error in the Preview setup and corrected it.  Then I was able to close and then re-open the exported sequence using the corrected Preview and it opened correctly with no Archived channels.

Question for Matt - The only way I could cause the S5 Sequencer to use the revised Preview was to close the sequence and re-open it.  I tried various combinations of selecting the same (now revised) preview, and also "Reset Props and Groups", but that did not help.  I'm guessing that I missed some step.  Is there an easier way?

One more Matt - As prep for writing this post, I opened v5.0.16 on this old XP computer, and there is no Preview listed.  Where it would be (above the view) is just gray - see image below.

S5.0.16_no_Preview_listed.png

BTW, this screen capture was taken on my old XP computer using an older preview created in 5.0.6 or 5.0.8 with a loredit file that was created back when that was current.  It is not related to the rest of this thread other than the lack of Preview selection on this old XP computer.

Jim, Thanks for the info. I saved one of my sequences in legacy format and then opened it in S5 using . The sequence was one that I had done for my pixel spinner. The spinner played perfectly. I then added a sub sequence (my arches, canes, and glow trees) and when I tried to play it they would not play. It was showing the channel to be completely off. I then right clicked and selected the row and clicked maximum intensity. I then clicked dmx intensity and it turned the channel on and played correctly. In less than 5 minutes I was able to play one of my S4 sequences completely in S5. Now I am starting to feel much better about S5.

Eric

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Ignore this part - I'm blind.  The screen looks quite different on this XP computer (I assume because of smaller screen resolution).  I was not expecting that it was above the lower row of the toolbar.  When I fired up S5 on my laptop, I realized the difference and looked back at the XP computer and found it.  My brain was incorrectly expecting the Preview name that I had created last night and not the preview from a couple months ago - DUH!