Light-O-Rama Forums
christmascrossing

Frustrated with S5

I've tried several times to start a new project in S5, and each time causes me to stop.  

Since most of my display is just on/off channels, with a few RGB props, it seems S5 assumes people are mostly RGB.

I'm not sure what S5 wants, groups, channels, views, visualization files,...confusing..

Have others tried to go to S5 and feel just as overwhelmed?

Should I stick with S4, and just bounce over to pixel editor for the few RGB channels I have.

Just when I started to figure out how S4 (groups / channels) worked, S5 seems to change what it wants.

Jeff

I hope you are trying out version 5.0.16 of the beta. It contains many improvements made over the course of our beta testing.

S5 should work well whether you have RGB elements or not. If you do have RGB pixel elements, then S5 is decidedly easier, because you do not have to flip back and forth between the Sequence Editor and Pixel Editor like you do in S4.

S5 is still in beta testing and we are still working to make things easier to use -- based on user feedback. The more specific the feedback, the better.

There is not a lot of documentation on S5 yet, but we will be creating it soon. Start by creating a "preview", which defines all of the elements in your display. The S5 preview replaces the S4 Visualizer, S4 Pixel Editor preview, and S4 Sequence Editor animation. There are some helpful hints about S5 previews in this presentation:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ShowTime5-ModelingYourDisplay-RevA.pdf

Once you get your preview created, you can start sequencing. Some helpful hints are in this presentation:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ShowTime5-TraditionalLights-RevA.pdf

Matt

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ShowTime5-ModelingYourDisplay-RevA.pdf

Once you get your preview created, you can start sequencing. Some helpful hints are in this presentation:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ShowTime5-TraditionalLights-RevA.pdf

Matt

Hey Matt,

Those are some great doc files right there... Do you have any more links like that?

Greg

Christmascrossing I’m in the same boat. I have tried S5 (I was using S3) and it seems to be more for pixels and rgb stuff. I plan on adding a pixel tree this year but still gonna to use my 96 channels of AC lights. I recently upgraded my software but plan to stick with S4 unless some there are some major changes in S5. And I might try S5 later on but it’s jusy so confusing to me. Think I’ll stick with what I know and use pixel editor for the tree and that’s it. 

1 hour ago, wicket82 said:

Christmascrossing I’m in the same boat. I have tried S5 (I was using S3) and it seems to be more for pixels and rgb stuff. I plan on adding a pixel tree this year but still gonna to use my 96 channels of AC lights. I recently upgraded my software but plan to stick with S4 unless some there are some major changes in S5. And I might try S5 later on but it’s jusy so confusing to me. Think I’ll stick with what I know and use pixel editor for the tree and that’s it. 

The user interface for S5 takes some getting used to, but it can control AC channels just as easily as it can control pixels. Do you have any specific suggestions that would make it easier for you to use?

Matt

I started a topic last month about S5 and things that I would like changed with S5 to make it more like S3 and S4. The visualizer ( not the preview window), the channels names on the left lighting up when a sequence is played and not being able to see the lines in between the channel names. A couple things were “fixed” which helped some but still not enough for me to switch to S5. You did fix it to where you can click a button on the toolbar and the preview window opens up. That way it can be open and closed. I still don’t like the fact that if I drag it, it will automatically dock it back into the program. Then I have to drag it back out and resize it. I like how easy it is to change the channel configuration and export and import it into new sequences (I know the preview is supposed to allow you to change it in one place and it goes across all the new sequences without having to import it into each one). I just sequence for 3 different shoes and it feels like it gives me more control when I can choose which layout I want to use by selecting it in import. Basically it feels like a completely new program and the old one works just fine for me. The new one is comletey new and feels a lot like XLigthts (sorry to bring them up). It just feels like everybody is pushing pixels these days and making it harder to use AC lights. Where S4 is for AC lights and you can use Pixel editor if you want pixels. Sorry to hijack this post but that’s kind of how I feel about S5. I will take another look at it once a new version is released but for now I’m sticking with S4

• Like 2

I used S4 for how ever many years it was out, once S5 came out I switched to it and cant imagine going back. Now that being said, I am all pixels.

Out of curiosity though, I just added some arches and a few other AC props relatively easy. Added them to my grid view. When I sequence those channels they are the color I picked for them. Other than the actual channel names not being the color of the actual lights, I dont see much of a difference between S4 and S5 on how you do your sequencing. I still use groups in S5, except now it will group them for you. Tracks became views. I didnt want to have to learn a new program and S5 was just familiar enough but added the features we needed. Love the preview, i can see if you didnt have a second monitor there could be a problem, cant imagine sequencing without one.

This program is nothing like xlights, (thank goodness), sure there is a lot of commonality, that is just because they both accomplish the same thing.

The lack of SuperStar support is what will keep me in S4 for the time being.  The closest I MAY end up in the near term future is using Visualizer in S4 to build my layout and then use that to sequence in S5 SuperStar (without going through the S5 Sequencer).  Then export that to the S5 Sequencer.  The only part that I will do exclusively in S5 is my two Matrix panel based Tune To signs.

I sequence on a 15.6” laptop. So I don’t have have duel monitors. I sequence the “visible screen” and then play back and watch the channel names on the left light up. That feature is missing from S5 (might be added back in future version). And once I get that like I want it, then I open the visualizer and watch it there. I can watch the channel names light and tell what my show is gonna to do. And I drag the visualizer around the screen to see the time or to see the channel numbers. So the preview window automatically docking causes issues for me. And in the preview it’s “dots” instead of lines like what I draw in visualizer (I could get over that if other parts of S5 was closer to S4). Also it’s almost impossible for me to see the grid lines in S5 between rows. And those couple of things are the main reasons I don’t like S5. I’m sure it will function basically the same but the look and some of the missing features are major problems for me. Oh and I don’t use tracks. I have tried it but it’s just easier for me without them. It’s how I learned to sequence and easier to keep going that route. Keep doing that and just add the pixel tree using pixel editor seperately.

Edited by wicket82

3 minutes ago, wicket82 said:

seperately. . 

Edited by wicket82
Tried to delete this but can’t for some reason. Sorry. Haha

When you say the preview is dots not lines like in the visualizer? Not sure what you mean there. My preview looks every bit as good as my visualizer did. Especially when I added props directly and not upgraded from an S4 sequence.

I think it’s actually showing individual pixel bulbs in the preview. In the visualizer in S4, I have the roof line drawn it as one continuous line. In S5 it creates that “line” as dots (individual pixels). That’s just a cosmetic thing and I could get over that. It just doesn’t look as good to me. I have 92 channels sequences and it’s “dots” vs solid “lines”. Like I said that cosmetic and can over that part. It’s all the other stuff that is keeping me from using S5. 

55 minutes ago, wicket82 said:

I think it’s actually showing individual pixel bulbs in the preview. In the visualizer in S4, I have the roof line drawn it as one continuous line. In S5 it creates that “line” as dots (individual pixels). That’s just a cosmetic thing and I could get over that. It just doesn’t look as good to me. I have 92 channels sequences and it’s “dots” vs solid “lines”. Like I said that cosmetic and can over that part. It’s all the other stuff that is keeping me from using S5. 

If it looks like dots see if you can change the bulb size. I imported a file from visualizer in the preview and it looked like a lot of big dots. Changing the size of bulbs in the preview fixed that. I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to or not though.