Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix VS: Pixel Tree?

DisneyMatt10

Matrix VS Pixel Tree!  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which feature should we install for our 2018 light show?

• 8 Pixel Matrix
    • The 360 degree pixel tree!

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

Also don't lose the spiral tree just downsize it, it still has plenty of wow factor it just doesn't have to be so big. 

Help me with this suggestion.  Do you mean buy all new shorter light strands?   Or are you saying remove a color or have fewer strands around?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Thank you all for the feedback so far. We are really looking at doing the Pixel Tree... *sighs* But I have a few questions...

1.) If we keep the sizing the way it is now our pixels would be about 9-1/2 inches apart around the bottom... Is that too far apart??

2.) Do you think a 360 degree tree would be better than a 180 degree tree?? --- Our show is set up for people to only view the show from the front of the property. That being said, how bad would a flat 180 degree tree look over there on the side of the yard where the current 360 degree spiral tree is at??

I just feel like by doing a 360 degree tree I'm spending a lot of time and money on 180 degrees worth of tree most people will never see. . . Thoughts??

Why not a 210 degree mega-tree?  My four mini trees are 210 degrees, and they look good from every angle that the public can see.  Saves: money, time constructing/sequencing/debugging, power consumption.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Help me with this suggestion.  Do you mean buy all new shorter light strands?   Or are you saying remove a color or have fewer strands around?  

He stated that he had a blue spiral tree, and in the picture it looks to roughly match the height of his house and I'm sure it's probably only 16 channels.

I would suggest reusing the controller and probably half the lights and rework it to be about a 8 or 9 foot tree.

I have a blue spiral tree myself that's about 8 foot 16 channels with the strands doubled over and it still has plenty of wow factor.

And by the way my tree can set up in under 2 minutes because it's a collapsible design. 

6 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Also don't lose the spiral tree just downsize it, it still has plenty of wow factor it just doesn't have to be so big. 

While I like the idea of keeping the spiral tree, just downsizing it. . . I don't know where I would put it in the show, and I don't really have a need for it since I'm going with the pixel tree. . . That being said, it's lights will get re-used for our "Tune To" signs! :)

10 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

While I like the idea of keeping the spiral tree, just downsizing it. . . I don't know where I would put it in the show, and I don't really have a need for it since I'm going with the pixel tree. . . That being said, it's lights will get re-used for our "Tune To" signs! :)

In the picture you provided you have a giant void right in the middle of your yard. I downsized tree would definitely look good right there in the middle maybe even to Anchor the corner.

Edited by Ebuechner

24 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

In the picture you provided you have a giant void right in the middle of your yard. I downsized tree would definitely look good right there in the middle maybe even to Anchor the corner.

The giant void is a rather steep hill sloping down from the house to the props in the lower part of the front yard. So it's hard to put anything on that slope. Plus, I'd rather not block part of the show with props. . . The only place I can think of that it wouldn't block any of the show, and  where it would "fit in" would be to the far right of the house beside our neighbors house. 

Just a suggestion.

The picture doesn't really show the hill.

I figured you still have the controller lights and other things that can be reused in a smaller version Plus you still have it sequenced, so I thought I would just make a suggestion so you don't lose all of that.

2 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Just a suggestion.

The picture doesn't really show the hill.

I figured you still have the controller lights and other things that can be reused in a smaller version Plus you still have it sequenced, so I thought I would just make a suggestion so you don't lose all of that.

I like your suggestion! That was one of the hard things with deciding to go with the pixel tree was losing all the hard work I had put into the spiral tree. But I think the change will be worth it! The controller may still be put to use because my neighbor asked me about doing her house... So I will be able to use the controller and some of the lights on her house! . . . If she decides to go forward with it.

18 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

The giant void is a rather steep hill sloping down from the house to the props in the lower part of the front yard. So it's hard to put anything on that slope. Plus, I'd rather not block part of the show with props. . . The only place I can think of that it wouldn't block any of the show, and  where it would "fit in" would be to the far right of the house beside our neighbors house. 

Ed knows slopes, may still be an opportunity to put something there.  My initial thought would be your spiral on a platform with giant presents to cover the front of the platform.

Just now, caniac said:

Ed knows slopes, may still be an opportunity to put something there.  My initial thought would be your spiral on a platform with giant presents to cover the front of the platform.

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea!

5 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea!

sink 4" PVC into the ground and just below the surface of the grass so it isn't noticeable during the summer months (could cap them).  Then space the post for your platform accordingly.  Then when November rolls around slide the platform into the PVC.

My whole yard slopes so everything is set up off the ground to accommodate for the slope and for snow. 

If it was me I would still try to accommodate the spiral tree in a smaller size in the middle of the yard. 

My spiral tree just screws into 3 foot by one and a quarter inch piece of pipe pounded into the ground and it doesn't need any additional support.