Light-O-Rama Forums

Transferring version update via thumb drive

Say watt??

My show computer is not connectedto the internet and I'm wondering if it's safe to download a software version update on another computer and transfer it to the show computer with a USB thumb drive. 

Scheduled play has been running good for about two weeks, but noticed last night that sequences weren't running properly and each song had the same errors each time it played. I also have the Chinese text issue. From what I have read here, an update should fix this.

I'm currently on 4.2.6 and want to install 4.2.12 for now. (Standard license)

I don't recall exactly which version was afflicted with the Chinese text issue, but it sounds about right. There should be no issue with updating from a thumb drive, but as always, make sure your data is backed up. You never know.

Incidentally, if the errors are showing up in the same places repeatable manner, I would be inclined to suspect a sequencing issue, rather than a software or hardware issue.

41 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

My show computer is not connected to the internet and I'm wondering if it's safe to download a software version update on another computer and transfer it to the show computer with a USB thumb drive. 

No problem.  The installer does not need internet access to install.  I normally download the installer one time and transfer it to various other computers (I have five that have LOR software installed) via either USB drive or network drive.

43 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

Scheduled play has been running good for about two weeks, but noticed last night that sequences weren't running properly and each song had the same errors each time it played.

As a general rule of thumb, if an error happens at the same point in any given song, it's likely in the sequence that way.

45 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

I also have the Chinese text issue.

I remember that one a while back...

45 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

I'm currently on 4.2.6 and want to install 4.2.12 for now. (Standard license)

Unless your license does not cover anything newer than 4.2, I would just upgrade to current - which is 4.3.26 as I type this.

The sequences run fine in SE and with "Show on demand". I unloaded LOR control panel, reloaded and changed the schedule to start while I was watching it this afternoon. From what I could see in the daylight all seemed to be good. I paid close attention to props that I knew had issues last night and they ran as sequenced.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Unless your license does not cover anything newer than 4.2, I would just upgrade to current - which is 4.3.26 as I type this.

I just renewed my license with an SE upgrade so I'm good through 5.9. I guess I'm a little hesitant to update that far at this point of the season. Most of the changes don't apply to how I use SE at this point anyway. That being said, it makes good sense to me to to get completely up to date while I can. I trust your advice and will go with 4.3.26. How hard is it to revert back if I did by chance have issues?

Thanks for the help guys.

Should be fine with 4.3.26. Reverting takes maybe 10 mins. Uninstall, reinstall.

Don't go to S5 until the season is over, IMO.

43 minutes ago, Say watt?? said:

I guess I'm a little hesitant to update that far at this point of the season.

I fully understand.  Unless I have an overly compelling reason to upgrade during show season, I don't either.  You might notice that my profile blurb over on the left side says that I'm running 4.3.24.  4.3.26 came out a week after I had started my 2017 Christmas show, so the show computer has NOT been updated.  Every other computer that I have LOR installed on is now running 4.3.26, but the show computer is gonna stay 4.3.24 until after the season.

When I got home tonight the show was running like a dream and has been for 6+ hours. Even at midnight, by myself, it's still fun to watch. :D

It seems as though unloading and reloading the control panel fixed it. I noticed the Chinese text in the status window was gone after doing that. Even the English text was a different font. 

I'm off work now until after the first of the year. Since I'm home and can keep an eye on things. Maybe I'll ride it out if that continues to fix the problem should it happen again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

I had the Chinese text last year when I was running 3.12.2. Created lots of problems with my sequences and the way the show ran. I had to upgrade to S4 and that solved all my problems.

Merry Christmas all!

Tom

9 hours ago, TBS99 said:

I had the Chinese text last year when I was running 3.12.2. Created lots of problems with my sequences and the way the show ran. I had to upgrade to S4 and that solved all my problems.

Merry Christmas all!

Tom

What version of S4 did you update to at that point?

At that time I believe it was 4.3.18 Advanced. I just recently upgraded to 4.3.26 Advanced. Everything is working smoothly now.

Tom

• The topic was locked