Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Trees

HLE

Looking into getting some singing trees for next year and was wondering if anyone had a sequence or two they might be willing to share? Anything would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

8 hours ago, Brian Mitchell said:

Make your own trees. Don't get those oversized mouth ones that everyone else has.  

This!

I HATE the look of the trees. The mouth movements look horrific! They don't even look like they are singing. So I made my own. I got all the ideas and steps from www.fanamaze.com

Just look at his pictures. All you need is a big piece of coroplast from home depot ($20) a soldering iron to make the holes and some creativity for the design...if you have any questions please PM me.

Just do a search for my sequences. Find and you like just ask.

IMH Prop making opinion the smaller the mouths the better the movements appear. With that being said I have over 27 singers of all sizes and shapes . Just created a few more for Christmas

Just use  a 5/16 bit and make your holes. Drill  test first because some bulbs are different diameters.

If you use a solder iron and make a mistake the hole will be worthless.

JR

14 hours ago, Brian Mitchell said:

Make your own trees. Don't get those oversized mouth ones that everyone else has.  

You are making the assumption that everyone is enough of an artist to do any better.  I certainly am not!  I can follow someone else’s pattern, but I could no more draw a more proper face from scratch than I could paint the Mona Lisa.

With that said, I agree that the Holiday Coro faces are overly exaggerated.  If someone were to send me a better layout, I might consider using that and drilling my own.  Yes, that’s a hint - Jim at k6ccc dot org (properly formatted of course).

Getting back on topic.......I'm still waiting on HLE to post an email address so I can send him a few sequences.

Edited by Paul L Johnson
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paul L Johnson said:

Getting back on topic.......I'm still waiting on HLE to post an email address so I can send him a few sequences.

Sorry about that. I’m a 3rd shifter and don’t get to check this as much as I want. 

The email is giggly_jam@hotmail.com. Thanks again!!!

No apology needed.  We all have to do what feeds us.  Check your email, HOPEFULLY Hotmail didn't classify me as spam.

Enjoy

Paul Johnson

Del City, Oklahoma

On 12/21/2017 at 12:23 PM, k6ccc said:

With that said, I agree that the Holiday Coro faces are overly exaggerated.  If someone were to send me a better layout, I might consider using that and drilling my own.  Yes, that’s a hint - Jim at k6ccc dot org (properly formatted of course).

Well, no response from the subtle hint.  Anyone have a better face layout that they are willing to send me? 

Common mouth shapes do stink!    I absolutely detest the ones where the teeth seem to be different sizes or disappear on some sounds.    And the ones where the center puckers in are just  Yuck.   There should be several O mouths of different sizes and more than 5 shapes. 

I never had any singing face until I could change the mouth shapes and face on a pixel matrix.   

These mouths and faces were drawn by me and they also mostly stink also but they are my own kind of stink with the full 10 positions and being the best I could come up with given a 24x25 matrix.    

https://vimeo.com/117700296       This is longest singing face song ever sequenced!    PBTDL  Meatloaf.

7 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Common mouth shapes do stink!    I absolutely detest the ones where the teeth seem to be different sizes or disappear on some sounds.    And the ones where the center puckers in are just  Yuck.   There should be several O mouths of different sizes and more than 5 shapes. 

I never had any singing face until I could change the mouth shapes and face on a pixel matrix.   

These mouths and faces were drawn by me and they also mostly stink also but they are my own kind of stink with the full 10 positions and being the best I could come up with given a 24x25 matrix.    

https://vimeo.com/117700296       This is longest singing face song ever sequenced!    PBTDL  Meatloaf.

Love those mouth shapes. I think the longest "single song" I did was Sympathy for the Devil.  Big fan of Meatloaf (the singer) and of course your work since it got me where I am today.

Will need to get back with you on MIIP. I know, I know but I didn't hear back from you and I had a slew of computer issues that about buried me. 

Merry Christmas Bob

JR

15 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Common mouth shapes do stink! 

<snip>   

These mouths and faces were drawn by me....

Bob, like JR, I like those far better than the HC version.  Do you have as graphic files and are you willing to share them?  That would result in far better resolution than trying a screen capture from the video.  If yes, can you send them to me in any common file format (.gif, .jpg, .png, .pdf, or best would be AutoCAD) to Jim at k6ccc dot org

Thanks

Bobs mouths and faces can be found here.    This is several years old so I don't recall why there are so many repeats in the sheet.

The way I used these was to create a S4 group for each mouth shape or face part.  I tried to not make them overlap but for some they do.

It was laborious to create all the groups for each mouth.    

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Bobs mouths and faces can be found here.    This is several years old so I don't recall why there are so many repeats in the sheet.

The way I used these was to create a S4 group for each mouth shape or face part.  I tried to not make them overlap but for some they do.

It was laborious to create all the groups for each mouth.    

Thanks Bob!  Very useful.

23 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Hey guys, Are the mouths that I have been putting on my wireframes wrong? If so, please let me know what you think I should do to make them better.

47 minutes ago, DougP said:

Hey guys, Are the mouths that I have been putting on my wireframes wrong? If so, please let me know what you think I should do to make them better.

Doug, I don't think you need to worry.  I believe most of this thread refers to overly exaggerated mouths on Holiday Coro singing trees.