Light-O-Rama Forums

Total newb re: super bright white “strobe”

MphsGal

Hi all. The music I’m contemplating for next year has several cymbal sequences. I would like to use very bright white (strobe bright) bulbs that will not all flash at once, they will dance so to speak in a “random” pattern And fade as the symbols fade in the music. My question is: what sort of bulbs should I use for this? Any Special wiring or such?

Thanks in advance.

Most strobes I’ve seen are random as you state, but none will fade out. Strobes are either 100% on or 100% off.

You might look at LOR 50 watt floodlights. They dim (fade) just fine and have multiple strobing functions. As well as you can have them be any color at any time. 

I personally have 3 and love them. Used in conjunction with many random flashing and random placed strobe lamps - you can achieve your goal. 

22 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Most strobes I’ve seen are random as you state, but none will fade out. Strobes are either 100% on or 100% off.

You might look at LOR 50 watt floodlights. They dim (fade) just fine and have multiple strobing functions. As well as you can have them be any color at any time. 

Thanks Mega Arch. If I read you right I would surround some floods with regular strobes and use the floods to fade? Would the white floods be of similar brightness and color as the strobes? I like the RGB but can I control it with  LOR? Finally, how many floods (no strobes) do you think I ‘d need to fully illuminate my porch (see pic).

Thanks again!

94B962EB-1404-4946-B081-ABF709FB3D0B.jpeg

Edited by MphsGal
Clarify question

I bought 6 police grade strobe lights for $30. I have 24 total now. I hook them up to my LOR controller so I do burn up quite a few channels but it allows me to sync the strobes as needed. I have 2 videos up from this year if you'd like to see them, my 

YouTube is under "Joopers7".

4 hours ago, MphsGal said:

Thanks Mega Arch. If I read you right I would surround some floods with regular strobes and use the floods to fade? Would the white floods be of similar brightness and color as the strobes? I like the RGB but can I control it with  LOR? Finally, how many floods (no strobes) do you think I ‘d need to fully illuminate my porch (see pic).

Thanks again!

94B962EB-1404-4946-B081-ABF709FB3D0B.jpeg

What a nice house for decorating!

Yes on the color - when all on - it's basically the same pure white as most strobes are. If you use the 50 watt floods I use, then 3 would be good and 4 would be great. Yes on controlling with LOR - just cat5 from nearest controller. These floods are otherwise self-contained. http://store.lightorama.com/hipo50wrgbfl.html

However, with your columns and basically a 2 story light up, you might consider the 8 pack of 10 watt floods. You'll need a controller to use them - so purchase the kit. http://store.lightorama.com/10wrgbfl8pa.html

Don't let the pricing bother you too much - sign up for LOR emails &/or stay tuned to this forum so you know when the spring and summer sales are.

16 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

What a nice house for decorating!

Yes on the color - when all on - it's basically the same pure white as most strobes are. If you use the 50 watt floods I use, then 3 would be good and 4 would be great. Yes on controlling with LOR - just cat5 from nearest controller. These floods are otherwise self-contained. http://store.lightorama.com/hipo50wrgbfl.html

However, with your columns and basically a 2 story light up, you might consider the 8 pack of 10 watt floods. You'll need a controller to use them - so purchase the kit. http://store.lightorama.com/10wrgbfl8pa.html

Don't let the pricing bother you too much - sign up for LOR emails &/or stay tuned to this forum so you know when the spring and summer sales are.

I second the idea of the 10w floods, get two kits! They're hands down my favorite part of my display, in this vid I've got 20 of them pointed at my house and 12 pointed at the street. Love them!

1. Load more activity

Thank you oilmoney and Mega Arch!

I assume the larger strobing lights are the floodlights? They are terrific and will work perfectly for me. What a great display you put on!

Here’s what mine looks like using (3) 50 watt floodlights aimed at my house. And random strobes.

Edited by Mega Arch

Beautiful, Mega Arch! Now I have a good idea about the floodlights.

I have another question for you. What are the lights in the very front, that long row of them? I like the way they operate and the way they look.

(40) coffee cans with (1) C9 LED lamp in each can. (10) LOR ac channels used. We punched the patterns in the cans back in 1989. Of course, was all static back then. 

Nope. Floods are my only RGB elements. I have better things to do in December than to be soldering in replacements in the flipping cold. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok all, I’m shopping for flood lights. Are the ones that come with remote controls suitable for rewiring to a controller? If so what kind of controller?  Is DC better than AC? 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, MphsGal said:

Ok all, I’m shopping for flood lights. Are the ones that come with remote controls suitable for rewiring to a controller? If so what kind of controller?  Is DC better than AC? 

Thanks!

Rather than trying to hack something to work with LOR controllers, why not just get items designed for exactly what you're trying to achieve?  LOR sells an excellent DC controller and some excellent 10W RB floods.

http://www1.lightorama.com/rgb-starter-package/

3 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Rather than trying to hack something to work with LOR controllers, why not just get items designed for exactly what you're trying to achieve?  LOR sells an excellent DC controller and some excellent 10W RB floods.

http://www1.lightorama.com/rgb-starter-package/

Seconded.

the 8 flood/CMB24D package is reasonably priced, has 16' cords, pigtails. You add a case and 12V PSU.  No fiddling or mods needed

On 1/1/2018 at 11:46 PM, TheDucks said:

Seconded.

the 8 flood/CMB24D package is reasonably priced, has 16' cords, pigtails. You add a case and 12V PSU.  No fiddling or mods needed

i got 2 sets and love them, going to add a third this year....my only movement towards rgb/pixels..