Light-O-Rama Forums

SE & Visualizer Integration V.4.3.24 Pro

beckanator

Greetings all,

I am trying to add 8 Dumb RGB Floods as a DMX Universe in the SE and Vi software (for visualization in the Visualizer only at this point) in a sequence I am editing. I've added the 8 floods into the SE and they are all RGB, giving me 24 circuits (correct?). I have drawn in the 8 floods in the Visualizer using the "Draw Floods" option in the toolbar. I assigned them I believe properly in the RGB Channel settings, and when I run the SE they show "ON" or Fade, etc. However, they do not display in the Visualizer. I have other props in the sequence which are assigned to LOR 16 channel controllers and they display in the Vi properly.

This is my first "experiment" with DMX. I've watched video's, read, etc., etc., but like others, I may be overlooking the obvious.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!  

Edited by beckanator
typo

I'll add that I'm just trying right now to get the Visualizer to display the RGB Floods so I can sequence them. They are not displaying in the Visualizer like the LOR channels are.

Understand that you have a separate show vs sequencing computer (so do I).  Since  your question relates to sequencing and not the show, everything in this discussion only relates to the sequencing computer.

Confirm that you have the network configuration for the DMX universe set and that the control panel (and therefore the Comm Listener) is running.  Does the Comm Listener Show the DMX universe?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Understand that you have a separate show vs sequencing computer (so do I).  Since  your question relates to sequencing and not the show, everything in this discussion only relates to the sequencing computer.

Confirm that you have the network configuration for the DMX universe set and that the control panel (and therefore the Comm Listener) is running.  Does the Comm Listener Show the DMX universe?

I'll check that Jim. Sorry, I tried to pick the best discussion area. I'm a newbie. The notice on each kind of conflicted on where to post. 

I have the network configuration settings to DMX universe, and all channels set. I'll check the Comm Listener.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jeff 

I see that the DMX is set to an IP address. Perhaps that is what needs to be configured on my "build" and then show computer? Or, would it be the COMM listener port?

Thanks,

Jeff

LOR Config.jpg

DMX Config.jpg

Edited by beckanator
Minor add

While I’m still on my train, can you do a screen capture of the channel configuration for at least one of the floods.

pretty sure I know what’s going on.

My stop is coming up - gotta go...

• Thanks 1

@beckanator sorry to ask a really dumb question here but can you list out what your hardware component are here (computer>USB>device>device>device>flood light). I am just confused by your IP address comment which makes me think there is a fundamental confusion going on here.

DMX may be over IP or it may not, you would only be using an IP address in one such scenario. 

By example most of my DMX uses IP via a Falcon board, but some of my DMX is on USB.

9 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

While I’m still on my train, can you do a screen capture of the channel configuration for at least one of the floods.

pretty sure I know what’s going on.

My stop is coming up - gotta go...

Thanks, Jim... you're the rambilin' man! ;) 

FLOOD 01 PEAK Channel Config.jpg

9 minutes ago, ndutton said:

@beckanator sorry to ask a really dumb question here but can you list out what your hardware component are here (computer>USB>device>device>device>flood light). I am just confused by your IP address comment which makes me think there is a fundamental confusion going on here.

DMX may be over IP or it may not, you would only be using an IP address in one such scenario. 

By example most of my DMX uses IP via a Falcon board, but some of my DMX is on USB.

It's been said there is no question that is dumb. Well, maybe in my case there is! No problem. ;)

I'm just trying to tackle the Visualizer issue so I can see my DMX Floods to sequence them. I believe the IP address comes into play when I add the sequence to my "Show" computer. That unit is a new laptop I just got and am dedicating it to my show. It's running the R485 via USB that controls the LOR units. The quartet of HolidayCoro trees I have is utilizing 32 channels of course. I haven't configured the laptop to run the DMX controller yet. 

Does that make sense? 

Thanks, Jeff

maybe, and if I understand your answer then it tells me you are missing the fundamental bit of the network configurator screens.

The network configurator screens tells LOR where to send the data.

In the screen shots you sent,

your regular LOR network information is being sent to COM3 at a data rate of 56.7K
your DMX universe 1 data is being sent TO IP address 239.255.0.1.

its my guess that you have a DMX controller somewhere, and the real question is whether that is plugged into your laptop via USB, or does that DMX controller exist somewhere on your network (this is not your LOR laptop). If you have some USB<>DMX brick then the entry in the network config is the COM port # of that USB port. If it is some network appliance that is not directly connected to the laptop but on your network, then it is the IP address. If its USB, then change the protocol from E1.31 to serial and you will be able to enter the COM port #

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ndutton said:

maybe, and if I understand your answer then it tells me you are missing the fundamental bit of the network configurator screens.

your regular LOR network information is being sent to COM3 at a data rate of 56.7K

its my guess that you have a DMX controller somewhere, and the real question is whether that is plugged into your laptop via USB, or does that DMX controller exist somewhere on your network (this is not your LOR laptop). If you have some USB<>DMX brick then the entry in the network config is the COM port # of that USB port. If it is some network appliance that is not directly connected to the laptop but on your network, then it is the IP address. If its USB, then change the protocol from E1.31 to serial and you will be able to enter the COM port #

I haven't purchased a DMX controller yet. I was hoping I could sequence a show, see it in the Visualizer on my one PC and then once I'm happy with it move it over to my pc dedicated to running my show. Then I would have the DMX controller running on the show computer. Can DMX sequences be set to communicate via the "Build PC" by way of the COM port then? Serial as you say?  

Okay, good news! 

I went into the Advanced Network Configurator and changed the COM port to #3 (which is the one specified on my "Build Computer") and checked each RGB channel in my 8 floods and they now all work in the Visualizer! 

THANK YOU GUYS for the help. I'm learning and really do appreciate your help!

If you drink, have a virtual beer on me!

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

cheers-beer-500.jpg

1 hour ago, ndutton said:

ND, thanks. I maxed out my daily limit of thank you trophy's today.

I so do appreciate you gentlemen helping me out!

On 12/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, k6ccc said:

Do you have the LOR control panel running (which in turn starts the Comm Listener)?

This was the key issue to get the DMX working in the Visualizer. You have to launch the LOR Control Panel, which in turn starts the Comm Listener for DMX to display in the Visualizer.

Thanks again, k6ccc!