Light-O-Rama Forums

What do I need to start?

racerc20

Ok im preparing for next year... 

My current setup is 4 lor 16 channel controllers.  A LOR CMB24D RGB flood kit.  And a second CMB24D that I built to run strips.  I also presently run a mini director and Fm xmtr but i have a G3 show controller also.

I want to buy 8 to 12 Bosco Hex Trees and add Smart RGB to my show.  Each tree takes 20 smart pixels.  Can somene point me in the right direction with regards to what controller?  What protocol? Power supply size?  Will power injection be necessary?  And so on?  No rush as this will be a project for next year.

Thanks in advance 

Carl

I'll be following along for replies also.

i have a pixie4 and a pixie 16. I thought about a 24 but it seems like it's better to go smaller to cover geographic zones and run cat5 between controllers then lots of wires to each section of yard, unless doing a huge mega tree or something.

i'm a rookie though, put more weight on other responses.

5 minutes ago, hoosierdoc said:

I'll be following along for replies also.

i have a pixie4 and a pixie 16. I thought about a 24 but it seems like it's better to go smaller to cover geographic zones and run cat5 between controllers then lots of wires to each section of yard, unless doing a huge mega tree or something.

i'm a rookie though, put more weight on other responses.

What do you mean by a 24? There are no 24 port smart controllers. If you are talking about the CMB24D it is a dumb controller and actually runs eight ribbons/strings.

Smart RGB does not like long cables. The controller needs to be fairly close (10-15' should be solid. A bit longer might be possible) to the prop. A (2nd), Highspeed network becomes a requirement as your regular net has 6 devices and Pixies gobble bandwidth..  20 pixels is no load at all ;), a Pixie port can do 100 12Vnodes and stay under 4A (white), Length of the run between trees will kill that Max count. What spacing on trees? Remember smart strings need to be end to end (eg in bottom, out top), which adds length

The Dumb RGB (typ w/CMB24) is more tolerant. Also all can be a simple parallel feed (but does limit to all being the same color) from the bottom from a common port (again, 100 12V nodes s/b safe)

Twin runs of 5 or 6 trees along path to house.  Close to each other.  

May wind up being 4 per side of path.   The killer seems to be getting the controllers close to the start of the runs.  Or do i just do dumbs.  Since the colors of the indvidiuals dont matter since they will.be in the glow trees and you wont see the individuals. Then i can put a cmb24d on either side of the yard and control floods and trees from half a controller each...hmmm always good to bounce ideas... But i still want to dabble in some pixels.  I have 3 coro angels drilled for pixels.... That i can use to dabble.  

3 minutes ago, racerc20 said:

Twin runs of 5 or 6 trees along path to house.  Close to each other.  

May wind up being 4 per side of path.   The killer seems to be getting the controllers close to the start of the runs.  Or do i just do dumbs.  Since the colors of the indvidiuals dont matter since they will.be in the glow trees and you wont see the individuals. Then i can put a cmb24d on either side of the yard and control floods and trees from half a controller each...hmmm always good to bounce ideas... But i still want to dabble in some pixels.  I have 3 coro angels drilled for pixels.... That i can use to dabble.  

That is a plan.  I have LOR 10' extensions on some of my 10W floods (a bit hard to find in the store)

I put a CMB24 AND a Pixie4 in a GC1500 case With a Holiday Coro WeatherProof 12V 30A mounted OUTSIDE  (I have 2 @ on one case, which has a closet pole between. Picture on request, which would support heavy loaded CMB24 and a Pixie16)