Light-O-Rama Forums
stevehoyt

Version compatibility question

Good Morning

I was wondering if there are any issues running sequences together where the play files were generated some with 5.14 and some with 5.16?

I "froze" the sequences I am using for my show at version 14. I was playing with making some minor changes yesterday and encountered a problem. Before I report it I    know I need to upgrade to the latest version V 16. At this point, I do not want to disrupt anything and will wait until the season is over to figure if my problem is a bug or not if need be. 

If I go ahead and upgrade to V16 would you anticipate any issues.

My shows consist of:

1) A nightly show that has no music. A single animation sequence. The one I ran into the problem with.

2) The grand show that I run on weekends and special occasions that has 10 or so 3 minute musical sequences, running along with a background animation sequence.

If I go ahead and upgrade do I have to "Recomplie" all of the play files or would you expect I could mix them.

Thanks

Steve

The play files have not changed in format -- so you can mix play files from any version of S5 when scheduling shows. There are changes in 5.0.16 in the way 360 degree pixel trees are handled - particularly when the start location setting is left, right, or front. So effects on that type of tree may get rendered differently. Otherwise, it should be safe for you to upgrade.

Thanks for being a beta tester!

Matt

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll update today.

I saw the info about the pixel trees in the release notes and was looking forward to trying it....another reason to upgrade.

Steve

Just to expand the question a little bit...if I'm happy with my existing v4 sequences, can I just play them along side new v5 sequences, using the v5 show player, or do I have to convert all existing sequences to v5 format first? 

10 hours ago, iflights said:

Just to expand the question a little bit...if I'm happy with my existing v4 sequences, can I just play them along side new v5 sequences, using the v5 show player, or do I have to convert all existing sequences to v5 format first? 

No need to convert S4 sequences, the S5 Show Player will play them.

Matt

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow, that will be huge time saver.  Now I can focus on new sequences.

Good Day

I have finally had time to spend duplicating the problem I mentioned in this original post using the latest version 5.0.16.

The problem that I am seeing is:

I have a grid defined with 5 second cells. I create an effect across 6 cells i.e. 30 seconds. Everything looks fine in the preview and on the matrix. I then select these 6 cells and I want to copy and paste them into other places. For the sake of this example from matrix 1 to the next 30 seconds in the same matrix or to my second matrix. When I do, I get an additional 5 seconds added to the 30 second effect making it 35 seconds long and messing things up. I have "paste by cell" selected.

Upon further investigation using the popup window that shows the grid and effect timings when a flyover of a cell is done, I see something weird. In the matrix I see 6  5 second cells showing my desired effect. However in the popup window it shows Grid time 13:00:00 - 13:05:00 which is fine I have 1 5 second cell selected and Effect time 13:00:00- 13:30:30. I suspect that this is the cause of my problem. 

Let me know your thoughts on what might cause this.

Thanks

Steve

1 hour ago, stevehoyt said:

Good Day

I have finally had time to spend duplicating the problem I mentioned in this original post using the latest version 5.0.16.

The problem that I am seeing is:

I have a grid defined with 5 second cells. I create an effect across 6 cells i.e. 30 seconds. Everything looks fine in the preview and on the matrix. I then select these 6 cells and I want to copy and paste them into other places. For the sake of this example from matrix 1 to the next 30 seconds in the same matrix or to my second matrix. When I do, I get an additional 5 seconds added to the 30 second effect making it 35 seconds long and messing things up. I have "paste by cell" selected.

Upon further investigation using the popup window that shows the grid and effect timings when a flyover of a cell is done, I see something weird. In the matrix I see 6  5 second cells showing my desired effect. However in the popup window it shows Grid time 13:00:00 - 13:05:00 which is fine I have 1 5 second cell selected and Effect time 13:00:00- 13:30:30. I suspect that this is the cause of my problem. 

Let me know your thoughts on what might cause this.

Thanks

Steve

It sounds like you might have an extra timing mark that you don't realize. If you zoom in time-wise, perhaps you can see it?

Matt

Hi

FYI There were not any timing marks. What is strange, is that, scattered throughout the file I have these half second additions added before and after a cell boundary. In any case, this is a large file imported from version 4 that has had many changes over all of the various beta versions. I suspect I made an error somewhere along the line. If I see anything that looks like it is a problem I will let you know. For now everything is working as it should.