Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Setup Problem (Newbie)

Bevvyboy Clarke

Hi First year trier needing help 

Help .... I have made a singing Father Christmas Face which I was hoping to control with a LOR sequence on the laptop, BUT no matter what I try it does not seem to control the lights in any sort of order

The set up is made with 5v single colour pixels, which I have taken back to the controller (8 single Channels), with all common legs connected together (V+)

I have the fixture connected as shown with dip switch set at 1

DRAWING.JPG.a674057504ea847028bac517995b68ec.JPG

Can somebody please talk me through the LOR sequence set up to get it to “talk” to this unit, as I must be doing something wrong

Please help me to setup the correct procedure as i am a complete LOR newby and am trying to use mainly DMX  for the singing face

Thank you for any help with this problem

What DMX controller do you have? DMX won't work directly off of the LOR USB adapter. Unless it is an LOR product connected to one of THEIR controllers. Otherwise with any other vendors products you would need a USB DMX adapter.  

2 minutes ago, BMurray said:

Otherwise with any other vendors products you would need a USB DMX adapter.  

...Or be running E1.31 over CAT5.  

39 minutes ago, Bevvyboy Clarke said:

Hi First year trier needing help 

Help .... I have made a singing Father Christmas Face which I was hoping to control with a LOR sequence on the laptop, BUT no matter what I try it does not seem to control the lights in any sort of order

The set up is made with 5v single colour pixels, which I have taken back to the controller (8 single Channels), with all common legs connected together (V+)

I have the fixture connected as shown with dip switch set at 1

DRAWING.JPG.a674057504ea847028bac517995b68ec.JPG

Can somebody please talk me through the LOR sequence set up to get it to “talk” to this unit, as I must be doing something wrong

Please help me to setup the correct procedure as i am a complete LOR newby and am trying to use mainly DMX  for the singing face

Thank you for any help with this problem

You probably need a crossover cable from lor to dmx   lor sells them .

Dennis I have made a crossover cable as described in you tube but it still doesn't work 

the light on the board flashes quickly which apparently means that it's receiving a dmx signal but when you play the sequence nothing happens 

1 hour ago, BMurray said:

What DMX controller do you have? DMX won't work directly off of the LOR USB adapter. Unless it is an LOR product connected to one of THEIR controllers. Otherwise with any other vendors products you would need a USB DMX adapter.  

BMurray  the board is just a 12way unit that accepts a dmx signal via cat5 connection from the Lor adaptor using a crossover cable 

I think this is where I could be missing something ....where do you set this ID ? Is it in the sequence editor (I think it's set to universe 1) but don't know where to set the start ID 

In network Preferances you have to select dmx.  Then the. adapter, and set the universe number .the controller you have has to tell you what dip switchs to select for the start address you want.    Just a note most people don't recommend using the USB-485 adapter for DMX 

Edited by Dennis Laff

thanks Dennis I have done what you said and set to Universe 1 but I don't seem to see a start address where should I be looking for that please?  (I have also ordered an E1.31 adaptor but it hasn't arrived yet). would this be a better option ?

Thank you 

14 hours ago, Bevvyboy Clarke said:

BMurray  the board is just a 12way unit that accepts a dmx signal via cat5 connection from the Lor adaptor using a crossover cable 

Can you post an actual picture of the controller? From the diagram you've posted it is a "12" channel controller. But technically it will control only "4" strings of RGB nodes. You CAN have 12 string attached but each RGB string would only display the color that it is attached to. If you have "single" color strings. What is the color? For example if your trying to attach a "white" string to (R)ed, (G)reen, or (B)lue connection I don't think it will work. Because it is sending a signal for a  particular color that isn't there. This is what I  understand. Can anyone else chip in? 

5 hours ago, Bevvyboy Clarke said:

thanks Dennis I have done what you said and set to Universe 1 but I don't seem to see a start address where should I be looking for that please?  (I have also ordered an E1.31 adaptor but it hasn't arrived yet). would this be a better option ?

Thank you 

Whoever you bought the 12 channel controller from should have supplied with the dip switch settings

what adapter did you buy the board isn't E1-31 it's dmx .

Edited by Dennis Laff

Sorry to delay BMurray I have attached the photos showing the controller controlling 4 positions of a test face

when connected there are white and blue pixels the white pixels are connected to R1, G2, B3 with R4 connecting the blue pixels 

just tried to upload photos but they are too big I will try again tomorrow as I am in the UK and it's work in the morning ?

but thanks for sticking with me 

BMurray....  Both colours  are lit in the positions I've stated but on the Number 10 fun dip switch so it looks like the single pixels will light up in all positions if that helps 

Edited by Bevvyboy Clarke
Name added

Dennis Laff all I have received with the unit was a basic wiring diagram and a picture of how to set the dip switch it doesn't tell me a specific start setting that I can see... Sorry. 

am I supposed to have the Lor 16 controller connected and then this other controller Daisy chained in some way?  Or in theory can this controller be run like I have shown just using the software  ?

Thanks 

If you don't know the start address of controller how did you sequence your Christmas face.   What channels  did you assign  If I where you I would buy something  that has more documentation .   Like.  Light o Rama. Cmb 24 . For dumb strips 

Dennis Laff sorry if I seem a bit slow but I did the sequence in Lor sequence editor In network settings I selected DMX...  I selected DMX universe and as its a trial board I selected the universe 1 which I believed allowed me to set up channels 1 through to 8 (which is the sequence editors 8off positions) with each label also set as universe 1 (all 8), 1 through to 8 is this not right?