Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights stay on - 2 channels

Trasher74

I am running a simple, 32 channel, 2 controller Christmas show.  The basic "Wowlights" sequences, including the MegaTree.

Anyway, 2 channels are staying on all of the time.  Replacing Triacs was suggested, which I did.  That did not solve the issue.

Installing a new board was recommended.  $155 dollars later, and a couple hours time, I have installed the new g3 board.  

The same two channels still remain on.

Any suggestions......... Please?

Dennis,

I appreciate your response, however, it makes me think that you are leaning towards this being a software problem.  I don't think so.  I have completely unplugged everything.  I installed the new g3 circuit board.  I've reassigned the unit IDs, I've done resets, etc. etc.  

If I completely disconnect the network cables, all I have to do is supply the power and the same two channel light immediately.

I just ordered new network cables thinking that might be the problem, but again, just supplying power, without the network cables even attached, I have the same issue.

Any more ideas, Dennis, anyone?  Thanks in advance for any assistance that you are able to offer.

Factory built or assembly required controllers? Sounds like the positive is immediately connecting to the 2 circuits. If assembled by individual and not LOR, highly possible solder spilled on back of board. Or wrong jumpers used or something. 

However, what Dennis is suggesting has to do with the sequencing. Turning the channels completely off at the end of the sequence can often solve the stuck on problem. I’d start there. 

This was factory built.  This problem started with my original generation 1 controller.  That is why I installed a new, g3 board, but it has the same exact problem.  

I'm not understanding what you guys mean by "turning the channels off a few cells before song ends", or "Turning the channels completely off at the end of the sequence can often solve the stuck on problem"

Please explain.......again, thanks.

16 minutes ago, Trasher74 said:

I'm not understanding what you guys mean by "turning the channels off a few cells before song ends", or "Turning the channels completely off at the end of the sequence can often solve the stuck on problem"

Please explain.......again, thanks.

Open the sequence up in SE. Click on the off icon. Go to the very far right side (end of song). Click the last few cells from the right. Making sure no commands are there at all. 

7 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Open the sequence up in SE. Click on the off icon. Go to the very far right side (end of song). Click the last few cells from the right. Making sure no commands are there at all. 

Okay, tried that.........unfortunately, it did not help.    :(

19 minutes ago, Trasher74 said:

Yes to factory case question.

It's #s 11 & 12.

I just looked at my 2, Wow, the board layout (for those)  of a Gen 2 and Gen 3 are different (but still on the right)

Could your power cords be crushed in the clamp (a real long shot. I would expect a Hot-Neutral befor 2 channels)?

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Could your power cords be crushed in the clamp

It almost seems like it could be something as basic as this.  I agree though...... long shot.

"Hot-Neutral"?   

45 minutes ago, Trasher74 said:

It almost seems like it could be something as basic as this.  I agree though...... long shot.

"Hot-Neutral"?   

Black to white = dead short would be the most common as they are inside the same jacket.

OTOH something sharp, that pierced 2 cords. Again a real long shot that it only hit the Hots ( higher odds than the Lottery :) )

Lets drop back. Could it be that you are frying Triacs with those 2  loads? Have you measured the power draw on them when PLUGGED DIRECT INTO the wall (or extension cord).  Is anything different about those strings?

The symptoms are definitely similar to fried Triacs.  The 2 circuits that stay on all the time only stay on at partial intensity.  And they only "kind of" react to the sequences.  This really sounds like Triac issue from the research that I have done.   

So, if it is a Triac issue, then what ever fried them on the first controller must have immediately fried them on the new circuit board.  

My electrical knowledge is limited.   Can you please walk me through measuring "the power draw on them when PLUGGED DIRECT INTO the wall (or extension cord)"

Again.......Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Trasher74 said:

The symptoms are definitely similar to fried Triacs.  The 2 circuits that stay on all the time only stay on at partial intensity.  And they only "kind of" react to the sequences.  This really sounds like Triac issue from the research that I have done.   

So, if it is a Triac issue, then what ever fried them on the first controller must have immediately fried them on the new circuit board.  

My electrical knowledge is limited.   Can you please walk me through measuring "the power draw on them when PLUGGED DIRECT INTO the wall (or extension cord)"

Again.......Thanks!

Symptoms = blown triac

Do you have a Kill-a-watt (brand) power meter (easy-peasy to use. Just plug it in, then plug the load into the test outlet). or

Clamp-on AZ Ammeter (requires a test loop or splitting an short extension cord so the clamp goes around only 1 wire (and not the Green-safety ground wire).  If you lamps have exposed (not bare :D )wires, clamp on the one that goes to the first bulb.

If you lights are standard store bought strings with fuse plugs, forget the test. The fuse would blow first unless you are stacking multiple plugs (The fuse protects end to end and lights) as the fuse is less than the Triac rating.

Might’ve got onto something though. Have you switched the light strings to other channels and visaversa? Just to rule out the light strands.

I have some LED strobes that when they get to end of life they stay on - even look lit for several minutes with no power possibly applied. When shows running, always on. I have about 4 a year do this. 

17 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Have you switched the light strings to other channels and visaversa? Just to rule out the light strands.

19 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Do you have a Kill-a-watt (brand) power meter (easy-peasy to use. Just plug it in, then plug the load into the test outlet)

Okay, interesting!  It might be the strands.  As suggested by Mega Arch, I switched strings to different circuits; at the box for one test, and at the light strand for another test.  The same two strands (2-11 & 2-12 on the MegaTree) light-up when I plug them into other circuits at the control box or when I try differently circuited cords at the light strand.  

All 16 strands are the same brand (whatever Home Depot sells), 100 light LED mini lights.  I would expect they would all be the same, but it kind of sounds like identical lights may function differently as per what Mega Arch says.  

I wonder if replacing those two strands will solve the problem?  

It's been raining and i don't much feel like lowering all the lights on the MegaTree (which is gonna be a pain in the .....).   So, I ran to Home Depot and got the Kill-a-Watt.  It was a good excuse to avoid working on the lights; again.

Do you think that I have narrowed it down to the individual strands, or is there something I can do (using the Kill-a-Watt or whatever?) in the mean time to confirm the problem?

Ugh....... it's the two individual light strands!  I remembered that I have two new in the box of the same brand.  I plugged them into the two circuits in question, and they did NOT light.  And that's the good news.  The bad news is......... I have 16 strands of lights on my 26 foot flag pole.  This is not going to be easy!

MegaTree.jpg

Are all the strands Incan or LED?

I have a few strands of 100ct Green Incan, Home Accents Brand, from the depot (they was dirt cheap) in the branches of the real tree. They behave fine.

My Reg-tree (12') is made from 50ct  LEDS from Wallgreens.

And would you send some of that rain down here please. :)

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Are all the strands Incan or LED?

They are all 100 count LED. 

Are you in California? When you live in the Pacific Northwest you don't hear people ask for rain often!

10 minutes ago, Trasher74 said:

They are all 100 count LED. 

Are you in California? When you live in the Pacific Northwest you don't hear people ask for rain often!

Yep, South of SF