Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

8 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unicast-only guy here!!   

Given your response, a P10 prop is sounding more doable for me, because the E1.31 networking part of a pixel prop (e.g., P10 panels connected as a single matrix) is the part I understand.  I only want to build an 8 panel P10 prop for a message/Tune To sign, so 16 X 32 X 8 panels = 4,096 smart pixels.  That's only 25 universes:  4,096 pixels / 170 pixels per universe, rounded up.

If I use a Pi (ignoring the Pi learning curve for me, which is fine), you cleared up something key for me -- I can, and will need to, assign a unique IP address to the Pi.  

To clarify for me:  In LOR S4 Network Preferences, I must identify every universe that I want to assign to the Pi's unique IP address (e.g., my planned P10 prop will require 25 universes).  Correct?

If I properly configure the Pi (big assumption for me), is the Pi the only substantive equipment I need between my PC's Ethernet port (ok, via a network switch) and the first P10 panel?   

I know I also need some supplies, such as: a power supply for the Pi, a power supply for the P10 panels, wires/ribbon to connect the first P10 panel to the PI's GPIO connector, a ribbon between each panel, etc.

the Pi and the panels can use the same power supply, just make sure it's a 5volt.  I am running 32 panels off of one power supply.  There really is no Pi learning curve, insert SD card with Falcon Player loaded, insert thumb drive, plug in.   You should have no reason to get to the OS level of the product.  All configuring done from a web browser.

6 minutes ago, brichi said:

Yes, Like k6ccc said, The P10 gets added as a DMX universe, each panel takes up 3 universes for a 16x32 pixel panel. The panels all plug into a BBB with an Octoscroller on it and they run the falcon player. In LOR you set the DMX universes to the IP address of the BBB so it communicates and then the rest is configuring it as a normal prop

Thanks, this really helps me.  I feel more confident now, given your confirmation that I need to assign a unique IP address to the BBB (or, to a Pi, which is what I want to use) .  The BBB (or Pi) can be configured as a device for interpreting DMX signals sent to it from LOR S4, through it's Ethernet port, and getting that data to the smart pixels.

From what k6ccc said, I understand I can use a Pi, instead of the BBB/Octoscroller combo, to drive the pixels on a P10 prop.  

I've learned through this thread, and your posts, that I need to get FPP loaded onto the Pi, for this to work. 

Also, if I use the Pi, do I still need the Octoscroller?  I think the O is unique for the BBB, correct?

16 minutes ago, brichi said:

Yes, Like k6ccc said, The P10 gets added as a DMX universe, each panel takes up 3 universes for a 16x32 pixel panel. The panels all plug into a BBB with an Octoscroller on it and they run the falcon player. In LOR you set the DMX universes to the IP address of the BBB so it communicates and then the rest is configuring it as a normal prop

issue is,  once i added my first 54 panel prop to LOR the program was unusable so I'm waiting to hear back from someone from LOR on when and if this can be fixed. Right now LOR cannot handle this many DMX universes, mine right now is 162 universes and i plan on doubling that with a second screen so when i add 324 universes LOR just dies so i have been using XLights to play with the panels since it runs perfectly BUT i need LOR being all my songs have been programmed in there and theres no way to switch to any other company right now unless i want to reprogram all my songs

you don't have to reprogram my friend, setup a map and import.  Only issue I ran into is import RGB components from an LMS file creates a huge xLights file and takes a while to render.  I import my AC components (import is fast) and then import the SUP file for the RGB components (again fast).   Then I use xLights for the new components.

3 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Thanks, this really helps me.  I feel more confident now, given your confirmation that I need to assign a unique IP address to the BBB (or, to a Pi, which is what I want to use) .  The BBB (or Pi) can be configured as a device for interpreting DMX signals sent to it from LOR S4, through it's Ethernet port, and getting that data to the smart pixels.

From what k6ccc said, I understand I can use a Pi, instead of the BBB/Octoscroller combo, to drive the pixels on a P10 prop.  

I've learned through this thread, and your posts, that I need to get FPP loaded onto the Pi, for this to work. 

Also, if I use the Pi, do I still need the Octoscroller?  I think the O is unique for the BBB, correct?

Pi + PiHat = 36 panels or less.

BBB + Octoscroller = up to 96 panels.

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

the Pi and the panels can use the same power supply, just make sure it's a 5volt.  I am running 32 panels off of one power supply.  There really is no Pi learning curve, insert SD card with Falcon Player loaded, insert thumb drive, plug in.   You should have no reason to get to the OS level of the product.  All configuring done from a web browser.

Excellent coaching, caniac, thanks!  How I setup the SD card and thumb drive is info I can get from some related threads, including from Falcon's website, from what I understand.

Just now, Ed K said:

Excellent coaching, caniac, thanks!  How I setup the SD card and thumb drive is info I can get from some related threads, including from Falcon's website, from what I understand.

that is correct, you will need to download a SD Formatter (free/shareware) and unzip the FPP image to it.  When you boot it up it takes care of the rest.

1 minute ago, caniac said:

Ahh, got it, thanks very much.   Short memory on my part  - this was info that was in one of the prior 6 pages of this thread, probably from you.  

5 minutes ago, caniac said:

LOL, I just noticed another detail in your reply, caniac.  I ALSO must get and attach a PiHat - is that correct?  Again, I am completely new to Pi, FPP, and P10 sequencing.  I will have only eight panels.

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

According to the the xlights guys I can’t convert S5 files over so I’m screwed    

do you have them as S4?

24 minutes ago, Ed K said:

LOL, I just noticed another detail in your reply, caniac.  I ALSO must get and attach a PiHat - is that correct?  Again, I am completely new to Pi, FPP, and P10 sequencing.  I will have only eight panels.

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/

PiHat sits on top of the 20pin connector on the Pi, you will power it all thru the PiHat.  You don't really sequence the P10 but send E1.31 data to it or images.

19 minutes ago, caniac said:

PiHat sits on top of the 20pin connector on the Pi, you will power it all thru the PiHat.  You don't really sequence the P10 but send E1.31 data to it or images.

Thanks again. 

Path of DMX data over E1.31:

My dedicated show PC's Ethernet port ------> Cat 5 cable   -------->  PiHat's RJ45 port (PiHat sits on top of a FPP-loaded Pi)  --------> PiHat SPI port ------->  pixel string

Does this look correct?

19 minutes ago, brichi said:

No. All done in S5  

so no previous S4 to pull from?  One of the things I noticed on S5 or one of the "chief complaints" was that you can't go back to S4 afterwards.  I never went S5 for that very reason plus with Halloween and Christmas approaching I didn't want to trust my show to "beta" software.  They still don't have a production version of it which I find a bit concerning.

Don’t get too excited about the Pi configuration.  Prior to mine arriving on Monday, I had never touched a Raspberry Pi.  Followed the step by step from the Falcon forum and waited a while and the FPP web interface became live.  The setup is fairly intuitive, although the wording is a bit confusing for bridge mode, but a little help from caniac and it was easily figured out.  My panels arrived yesterday and it’s killing me that I can’t play with them yet because the PiHat is not expected until Tuesday...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Thanks again. 

Path of DMX data over E1.31:

My dedicated show PC's Ethernet port ------> Cat 5 cable   -------->  PiHat's RJ45 port (PiHat sits on top of a FPP-loaded Pi)  --------> PiHat SPI port ------->  pixel string

Does this look correct?

the last part should be P10 panel.  Also Pi's can be setup wireless if you have wifi setup.  I would think you need to go from your show PC to a switch.

7 minutes ago, caniac said:

the last part should be P10 panel.  Also Pi's can be setup wireless if you have wifi setup.  I would think you need to go from your show PC to a switch.

Darn it, my bad.  Yes, first P10, not a pixel string.  

But thanks for helping me figure the actual DMX connections.

14 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Darn it, my bad.  Yes, first P10, not a pixel string.  

But thanks for helping me figure the actual DMX connections.

if you need close up pics of my panel let me know.

I would like to point out the misinformation, the beaglebone is only capable of 64 panels.

For some reason it will only do 8 panels per output x 8 outputs. 

The pie will do 12 panels per output x 3 outputs.