Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

39 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Ebuchner  have you tried  using Ron"s  Holiday Lighting  E1-31 p10 panel controller for P10 panels ?

No I haven't.

The reason being is the Pi setup running in slave mode greatly reduces the amount of network traffic. ( I have 2 P10 panels soon-to-be 3)

I just don't see tempting fate with a lot of network traffic and then finding out last minute that it doesn't work when I'm trying to run the show. 

You know these sort of things like to rear their ugly heads the day that you are trying to turn your show on :blink:.

• Like 1

so I started playing with xlights so I can get a handle on both and 1 thing so far is confusing me. (I did register over there to ask but waiting approval)

How come if I setup 4 universes it says

E1.31 universe 1 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1-512

E1.31 universe 2 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 513-1024

E1.31 universe 3 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1025-1536

E1.31 universe 4 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1537-2048

how come universe 2,3,4 don't start at channels 1? its a separate DMX universe, why start at 513 for U2?

in LOR each separate universe starts the address at 1

Sounds like a flaw.  A DMX universe can only have 512 channels.

10 minutes ago, brichi said:

so I started playing with xlights so I can get a handle on both and 1 thing so far is confusing me. (I did register over there to ask but waiting approval)

How come if I setup 4 universes it says

E1.31 universe 1 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1-512

E1.31 universe 2 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 513-1024

E1.31 universe 3 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1025-1536

E1.31 universe 4 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1537-2048

how come universe 2,3,4 don't start at channels 1? its a separate DMX universe, why start at 513 for U2?

in LOR each separate universe starts the address at 1

you are confusing channels with universes. in my show I have 800 universes but my channel count goes to 80,000.  Not sure the best way to answer this other than those channels matter later when you are setting up your controllers and P10.  When you setup your P10 it has to know the start channel and you can't say Universe 500 channel 1.  It has to have the actual channel number.  Would it help to see how mine is setup?

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Sounds like a flaw.  A DMX universe can only have 512 channels.

it's not a DMX channel per se.

In the Falcon Player for my P10 Matrix it has to have the starting channel in order to map what is sent to it.  In my case I put 10113 as the starting channel in my Falcon player for my matrix and 61313 as the starting channel on the Falcon player on my Marquee.  Everything that gets sent to both with those starting addresses will display on those props.  It's how xLights and FPP sort things out.

thank you, so when you set your props up though you have to start it at the address shown above, for example if I have an arch in port 3 of an alphapix, that may really be starting address "601", not "1"

I definitely have to watch a few tutorials, I would like to learn both just so I have the knowledge but even just adding a second "string" of lights in the layout was good but then after saving it doesn't show in the sequencer end, only the first arch does, not any other props, I need to watch, lol

1 minute ago, brichi said:

thank you, so when you set your props up though you have to start it at the address shown above, for example if I have an arch in port 3 of an alphapix, that may really be starting address "601", not "1"

you can set it up that way or #3:1 which is universe 3 address 1.  On you Alphapix you will put 601 as your starting channel for output 3 universe 3 (assuming that's how you set it up).

what I like is when you setup your props and say you decide to go from 16 strand pixel tree to a 24, xLights will "stretch" your output over the new strands.

in addition to tutorials you also have Ed and I to call on.

on the Alphapix I have it setup as "1" as the start channel for each universe

your right, I got confused:

image.png.ced027db30b5291954105c5f889b8ae4.png

I control it with universes in xLights.

The second set of numbers is what we refer to is absolute addressing.

This is done to accommodate some older controllers.

If at all possible try to avoid doing the absolute addressing because it will create problems, instead use universe and start channels. 

Also we have Zoom meetings every Wednesday night that you could join and ask questions. 

You can also get one on one help in the zoom meeting from someone. 

This is how I helped Chet out when he was having problems. 

48 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

If at all possible try to avoid doing the absolute addressing because it will create problems, instead use universe and start channels. 

Also we have Zoom meetings every Wednesday night that you could join and ask questions. 

and he was a great help, I had gotten all confused about absolute addressing to the point I had lots of bleed over on my RGB components (I am a mainframe programmer and have a tendency to overthink things).  Zoom meetings were extra helpful.

3 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

I tried using universes and start addresses of 1 but the port wouldn't light unless I entered the absolute address of U2 address 513 even though I have the controller as U2 address 1, weird. I have to play more. Right now im excited that I got the separate DMX port working on one of my DJ DMX uplights, lol.. Plans for the future

actually, I think I just figured it out poking around XLights. I went and did 4 arches and then configured each screen individually in the "offset" part, changed it from absolute to universe number and changed the numbers accordingly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88hzvyc43m77mob/IMG_0497.JPG?dl=0

47 minutes ago, brichi said:

actually, I think I just figured it out poking around XLights. I went and did 4 arches and then configured each screen individually in the "offset" part, changed it from absolute to universe number and changed the numbers accordingly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88hzvyc43m77mob/IMG_0497.JPG?dl=0

There's plenty of good videos on the setup if you poke around on their website. 

I'm trying hard not to say too much on this forum because last time I did I got warning points issued to me without any conversation beforehand. 

I had to go up the chain of command to have them removed because they were issued without any explanation whatsoever. 

Turns out they were upset about me talking about what they perceived as the competition even though they hired one of the creators and then started to make a copy. 

gotcha!!! makes sense, I am still using LOR full time, just playing with XLights because I like to learn it. No worries LOR, lol

well I am very happy to report that everything is working in XLights as well as in LOR, very happy right now. Now to order 120 more P10 panels :)

so now I have 2 BBB, I have one set to 10.0.230.200 and one 10.0.230.201

do I still setup FPP exactly the same on both?

x.x.x.200 -  I set FPP to 4 panels, 12 universal, address starts at 1 and ends in 5633

x.x.x.201 - I set FPP to 4 panels, 12 universal, address starts at 1 and ends in 5633

in XLights I can get it to work but in LOR I set the 201 address in networking settings to UNIVERSE 13 being thats the next free one and in LOR sequencer I set the new matrix up starting at U13, channel 1 but I cant get it to work. if I set it to U1 in LOR network and LOR preview then it comes up but then the 200 addressed BBB won't work :(