Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

I have to admit, since upgrading computer and montitor a year ago, have not taken are-look at xlights since.  Xlights doesn't handle lowe resolution settings very well but I'm now able to use much highter resolution settings because of larger monitor. 

So if you're going the xlights/Falcon Player route, do you move the sequence to the Pi/BBB and run/schedule the P10 in a stand alone mode (not PC connected) via the PI/BBB clock?

BTW, the problem people have when running lower resolutions, is software that don't program in bottom and right screen scroll bars.   When running 800x600 resolution on my old setup, there were a number of xlights screen where I couldn't move to menu button that where off the margins of my screen.   

There is a few ways to run the P10. 

1. You can run a pi or beaglebone in bridge mode and send the data from your computer or stand-alone player.

2. You could run the pi or beaglebone as a slave and then the only thing it needs is a wired or wireless connection to get sink packets.

3. You could run it as a standalone if you're just using it as a tune to sign or something similar. 

4. A new option is to run it with a Linson or Color light board and drive it from a CAT5 cable from your computer or Standalone player.  ( this option is very new and not all the details are out yet)

In addition, I am using the Falcon Player to run my show (master mode) and drive two other Pi's running Falcon Player in Slave mode.  I also connect to a switch to drive me two RGB controllers and off of one of those I use a patch cable to go to my five LOR controllers (no dongle required).

looks awesome!

soooooo I am trying to add this P10 layout to LOR and am a little confused so hoping I did this right

I am doin 56 panels (32x16 leds per), 8 wide by 7 tall so thats 256 pixels per string times 16 strings, the issue I am seeing is obviously 1 string is going over the 512 channels and theres a lot of carry over, so how does that work, does the carry over go to channel 2 and then channel 3 will pick up where channel 2 ends the carry over?  I attached a pic of what my LOR preview numbers look like. thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jzbshmzd1lxhde/Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 9.20.09 AM.png?dl=0

is that an S5 screen?  Haven't played with S5 yet but in xLights you just select the matrix model and define it as 224 pixels high by 256 pixels wide with a starting position of top left, it does the rest.  If that is S5 then it should do something similar.

so in my case even in xlights with 56 panels I would say 

#strings - 112

Nodes/string - 256

Controller type -  DMX

when I do it this way in lights it shows a total o 86,166 channels

Edited by brichi

3 minutes ago, brichi said:

so in my case even in xlights with 56 panels I would say 

#strings - 112

Nodes/string - 256

Controller type -  DMX

when I do it this way in lights it shows a total o 86,166 channels

your talking 7ft high so that would be 224 strings and in xLights it would be a E1.31 controller.  Am I right Ed?

sorry, I mean 8 panels wide by 7 panels tall, not 8 feet by 7 feet. The panels are 12x6" so definitely not that high, maybe 4 feet high with 7 panels at 6" tall, 7 panels times 16 strings in each would be 112 strings.

25 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Wow, LOR certainly makes a simple task complicated.

Why do you say that?  I don't use Pixel Editor, so therefore I am not experienced in using the Preview Editor.  I just re-created his preview in less than one minute.  If I did not have to poke around to remember how to do it and find the buttons, it would be less than 15 seconds and about a dozen mouse clicks and 7 keyboard keys..

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, brichi said:

sorry, I mean 8 panels wide by 7 panels tall, not 8 feet by 7 feet. The panels are 12x6" so definitely not that high, maybe 4 feet high with 7 panels at 6" tall, 7 panels times 16 strings in each would be 112 strings.

then you are correct

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Why do you say that?  I don't use Pixel Editor, so therefore I am not experienced in using the Preview Editor.  I just re-created his preview in less than one minute.  If I did not have to poke around to remember how to do it and find the buttons, it would be less than 15 seconds and about a dozen mouse clicks and 7 keyboard keys..

I have seen your show, you possess Jedi sequencing skills that most mere mortals do not possess.  In my case I have always hated Visualizer, cumbersome to setup and maintain.   Hated it to the point I setup everything in the animation screen which had its on issues and limitations.  After I stopped overthinking things and listening to Ed it is now easy peasy.  Will take a look at S5 this year just because.

hahaha thank you! I put a lot of time into LOR and learning tricks to make it all look good so I would hate to have to start over just to add video to certain parts of songs

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

it was very quick to create what I did on LOR, just not sure if its right, lol

It looks right to me.  256 nodes wide by 112 tall. 

At first glance I was looking at that dialog box to the right thinking that you had to set all of that up. 

The thing to do would be to get the actual panel built and set up, then test to confirm all the settings are correct before moving forward. 

Your settings looked correct but the screenshot you had only showed the lines down to 70 I'm assuming that you could expand on that and show all the lines down to 112?

I'm not sure if Lor has something similar but in xlights all you have to do is right click and select node layout and it will show you exactly how things are laid out node by node. 

heres a quick screen cast of setting up this matrix, should be correct I think. 

I wish I had the Octoscroller to set the panels up for real, I have the panels and the BBB but still waiting on the octo to plug the panels in

why do you have starting location as bottom left?

nevermind, I pressed play on the video.

Edited by caniac