Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

1 hour ago, caniac said:

so no previous S4 to pull from?  One of the things I noticed on S5 or one of the "chief complaints" was that you can't go back to S4 afterwards.  I never went S5 for that very reason plus with Halloween and Christmas approaching I didn't want to trust my show to "beta" software.  They still don't have a production version of it which I find a bit concerning.

unfortunately no, I did everything in S5

4 minutes ago, brichi said:

unfortunately no, I did everything in S5

do I dare ask how many sequences your are talking about?  It is January, you have ten months!! :) lol 

LOL,,, 8 total but I really like the sequences I made and there things I do in S5 that I cant seem to do in XLights, plus I paid a fortune for LOR and SS so I would like to use it

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Don’t get too excited about the Pi configuration.  Prior to mine arriving on Monday, I had never touched a Raspberry Pi.  Followed the step by step from the Falcon forum and waited a while and the FPP web interface became live.  The setup is fairly intuitive, although the wording is a bit confusing for bridge mode, but a little help from caniac and it was easily figured out.  My panels arrived yesterday and it’s killing me that I can’t play with them yet because the PiHat is not expected until Tuesday...

Jim do you have part numbers on the Raspberry Pi and PIhat that your using  Thanks Dennis

38 minutes ago, brichi said:

the new beta update of FPP does 12 panels per pert so 96 panels on a BBB

Have you tested this?

I'm still waiting for my octoscroller, and I had somebody tell me even though it shows 12 per output on the layout panel it'll still only do 8. 

17 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Have you tested this?

I'm still waiting for my octoscroller, and I had somebody tell me even though it shows 12 per output on the layout panel it'll still only do 8. 

Yes, I am running it now, I did 9 rows of 6 so I did my last 2 rows all on port 8, 12 panels. Heres a pic of my layout

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imftq19585d513b/IMG_0613.JPG?dl=0 

2 hours ago, caniac said:

if you need close up pics of my panel let me know.

Thanks for the offer.  I saw your picture of the back of the entire prop, which, for now, is sufficient for me.  My P10 prop plan is significantly less ambitious than yours, but that will help spend more time learning how to control a P10 prop. 

My main unease was how to communicate from LOR S4 to a P10 panel prop.   I want to treat a P10 prop just like I treat every one of my other pixel props for purposes of sequencing with LOR S4.  You and brichi have really helped me today with that hurdle.  Summary:    Pi loaded with FPP and with a unique IP address, with a  Pi HAT that is connected to the first P10 panel from one of its SPI ports.

I walked through Falcon Christmas' Falcon Player website,  read their Pi/FPP written documentation, and reviewed posts of issues others have had and resolved (that's always a good source for lessons learned).

BTW, here's a decent Rasberry Pi ihtro video.  (Geez, when I posted the URL to this video, the image posted here came out UUUGE.)

19 hours ago, caniac said:

the Pi and the panels can use the same power supply, just make sure it's a 5volt.  I am running 32 panels off of one power supply.  There really is no Pi learning curve, insert SD card with Falcon Player loaded, insert thumb drive, plug in.   You should have no reason to get to the OS level of the product.  All configuring done from a web browser.

I can run the Pi with an SD loaded with Falcon Player, along with an attached Pi HAT, to accept DMX signals and control smart pixels attached to the hat.  You also mentioned a thumb drive.  Why is a thumb drive needed, if I'm using the SD to run the Pi?  Am I collecting data somewhere?

51 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The thumb drive is where config and log files are kept.

Ok, thanks. 

I just ordered from Amazon a Pi B v3 kit (micro card, PSU, case, HDMI cable), an extra micro SD card (the kit's SD card is pre-loaded with NOOBS), and a clear Pi case (I don't like the opaque case the kit provides).  I'll get a thumb drive locally. 

My home setup has three PCs connected to the same monitor/ keyboard / mouse  (including my dedicated show PC that is not connected to my home network).   However, I have an extra monitor and keyboard, which I'll use just for the Pi.   This will give me a standalone  Pi workstation.

I'll post my progress here.

1 minute ago, Ed K said:

I just ordered from Amazon a Pi B v3 kit (micro card, PSU, case, HDMI cable), an extra micro SD card (the kit's SD card is pre-loaded with NOOBS), and a clear Pi case (I don't like the opaque case the kit provides).  I'll get a thumb drive locally. 

Welcome to the P10 club.  As for the SD card, you would just format over the pre-load, but it never hurts to have an extra SD card laying around...  And do't we all have a pile of USB drives laying around?  I have a 4GB on mine, but I looked to see how much data was on it, and it's tiny.  A 1GB would be far more than enough for this application.  Now if you were using FPP for running your show - so you would have all the show files there, a larger one may be needed.

12 minutes ago, Ed K said:

My home setup has three PCs connected to the same monitor/ keyboard / mouse  (including my dedicated show PC that is not connected to my home network).   However, I have an extra monitor and keyboard, which I'll use just for the Pi.   This will give me a standalone  Pi workstation.

Reality is that you will never need anything but the web interface.

LOL on the thumb drives.  I'm looking at four that have just sat unused next to my keyboard for years.    8GB - 16GB drives.  

I just read a 12/24/2017 post on Falcon Christmas' forum, from the Administrator (Captain Murdoch), that states: "The main thing is you will need a .fseq file to play on the Pi in FPP."

The Pi will be running FPP.  So, how will sending a DMX signal from my LOR software to the Pi be read correctly to control my P10 boards connected to the Pi?

A response to the Administrator's post states:  "There [is] another mode of operation called Bridge mode. In Bridge, the Pi will act like a 2 output E1.31 controller."  Is this a step I should know about and must take?

As shown on the Falcon Christmas store,  there is a 1,600 pixel limit on the PiCap. That seems like a very low limit.

Is that why you're using the PiHat, not the PiCap?

https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=47&controller=product

1 hour ago, Ed K said:

As shown on the Falcon Christmas store,  there is a 1,600 pixel limit on the PiCap. That seems like a very low limit.

Is that why you're using the PiHat, not the PiCap?

https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=47&controller=product

that item is for controlling pixels not P10 panels, P10 panels use a ribbon cable.  It is possible to run a pixel based show using nothing but Pi's to control your lights (and xLights) - no RGB controllers.

5 hours ago, Ed K said:

I made a major mistake ... I fell into this thread and have been following it (that was my mistake ;)). So today, I just couldn't help myself any longer and ordered an Amazon Pi 3 Kit (CanaKit), and snagged the last P10 Panels from DIY Express (I wanted 4 but there were only 3 available and they are now sold out). I decided on the Pi and Nano PiHat versus the BeagleBone and Octoscroller, just because I wanted to see what all the rage over the Pi was about. Now I'll be forced to learn DMX via LOR (as I want to control everything via LOR). I plan on using the P10 panel for a Tune To sign among other things.

Now I'm into this hobby for even more money ...

Edited by mwilson6192