Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

Recommended Posts

Loaded question.

You would want to make your decision based upon how far you're going to span with the plastic.

 I just put a micrometer on mine and it's .118 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Loaded question.

You would want to make your decision based upon how far you're going to span with the plastic.

 I just put a micrometer on mine and it's .118 .

four foot square, haven't used a micrometer since 1972.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're now using metric sizes because that works out to be about 3 mm. Just under 1/8 of an inch. 

And I have that on my big P10 panel which is 4 x 8 panels so if memory serves me right that's about 52 1/4 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good morning guys, Are you guys using the "outdoor" panels or "indoor"?    Im assuming the indoor and thats why you're building a frame? I was debating the outdoor panels and then not having to build a frame if they are water proof, not much info on the differences, they look exactly the same on ray's site

 

updated: 

actually looks like outdoor are 1/4 scan which I believe is not supported anyway

Edited by brichi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, brichi said:

good morning guys, Are you guys using the "outdoor" panels or "indoor"?    Im assuming the indoor and thats why you're building a frame? I was debating the outdoor panels and then not having to build a frame if they are water proof, not much info on the differences, they look exactly the same on ray's site

 

updated: 

actually looks like outdoor are 1/4 scan which I believe is not supported anyway

usually the outdoor are what billboard companies use, I have found those to be $21 a panel as opposed to $8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plus building your own frame adds additional structure to the prop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, not worth it, building a frame it is! lol

Just worried about weight to hang from windows, Im doing a 56 panel one and then adding a frame on top of it im not too sure how im supporting this y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brichi said:

yeah, not worth it, building a frame it is! lol

Just worried about weight to hang from windows, Im doing a 56 panel one and then adding a frame on top of it im not too sure how im supporting this y

if you do aluminum frame then it should add more than a pound or two to weight.   Only reason I need my wife's help with the 4ftx4ft version is it's awkward to carry.  We picked up our P10 Marquee yesterday and it was framed with 1 x 6, still pretty light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok awesome, once I get them all I will definitely start planning out frame and mounting options. should be roughly 6'x5' total so not much bigger then yours, you know your approximate weight of yours total? I doubt u ever weighed it, lol

Edited by brichi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brichi said:

ok awesome, once I get them all I will definitely start planning out frame and mounting options. should be roughly 6'x5' total so not much bigger then yours, you know your approximate weight of yours total? I doubt u ever weighed it, lol

if I had to guess I would say 10lbs.  Not particularly heavy but my wife and I are smurfs so my wingspan is shorter than most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahahah love it, thats really light, glad to hear, thanks for the info as always, im sure ill be bothering you next week once everything arrives :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not a problem, if I don't know the answer then Ed does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The outdoor panels are only sealed on the face they require A-frame that specially built for them to mount two because the back side has a gasket on it. 

Some people are building an enclosure and using a clear tablecloth or shower curtain for the face, this may or may not save you some weight depending on how you build it. 

The beaglebone does support 1/4 scan with Dan's latest image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok cool, good to know

also I used the boscoyo mounts to attach 4 panels together to make a square and there is a small gap between all the panels, is this normal? I can see right through all the edges where the panels are supposed to meet flush. I can drill the holes one the boscoyo mounts a little bigger so I have play to move them close but I figure thats a lot of holes 60 panels later and is it really needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, brichi said:

ok cool, good to know

also I used the boscoyo mounts to attach 4 panels together to make a square and there is a small gap between all the panels, is this normal? I can see right through all the edges where the panels are supposed to meet flush. I can drill the holes one the boscoyo mounts a little bigger so I have play to move them close but I figure thats a lot of holes 60 panels later and is it really needed

there is a little bit of a gap between mine on my P10 but less of a gap on the P10 Marquee so it's hard to say.  might want to ask Boscoyo on that one.  On my regular P10 the gaps aren't noticeable from the street, I only notice it in the morning when sunlight comes thru that window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks! I actually used black tape on the back end so you can't see through now but now sure once theres an image on it if that difference between the pixels will matter, I doubt it

 

do you have video of yours running? the pics look great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brichi said:

thanks! I actually used black tape on the back end so you can't see through now but now sure once theres an image on it if that difference between the pixels will matter, I doubt it

 

do you have video of yours running? the pics look great

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may not want the black tape sealing up between the panels.

First off my large panel is made with those connectors and you don't notice the small Gap. 

Second thing you should consider is the way these panels are built the front is going to act like a passive solar panel when the sun is hitting it. 

You would want some Gap in the panels so that when the heat rises inside the panel it has somewhere to go. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good point, thanks for the info!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a ways out from doing a P10 project  but will be interested in how your guys get P10 panels intregated into LOR.     Once you have the panesl, BBB/Pi, Octoscroller,  Iimages file and 5v PS all built, then what?  I'm not interested in going the route of xlights and Falcon Player software. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mpageler said:

I'm a ways out from doing a P10 project  but will be interested in how your guys get P10 panels intregated into LOR.     Once you have the panesl, BBB/Pi, Octoscroller,  Iimages file and 5v PS all built, then what?  I'm not interested in going the route of xlights and Falcon Player software. 

what is your objection to xLights?  Falcon Player?  This is my first year with both and they were easy to use, Falcon Player was load and go (you don't have to go behind the scenes and mess with Linux).  The interface in browser based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 10:00 PM, brichi said:

sick!! my wife loves that im already buying for next year, this year isn't even over yet, lol

While I have used xlights, it's not the most user friendly software for  those who are visually impiared, like myself.   LOR  also has some issue but not to the same extent.  I have view the LO|R PE and it just seems a little easier to follow for myself. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mpageler said:

While I have used xlights, it's not the most user friendly software for  those who are visually impiared, like myself.   LOR  also has some issue but not to the same extent.  I have view the LO|R PE and it just seems a little easier to follow for myself. 

 

 

 

 

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but we have one gentleman who is extremely visually impaired that uses xlights daily.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×