Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

26 minutes ago, brichi said:

I just ordered a card for $30, does 256x256 pixels, same as Ebuechner is using

I wonder how many colorlights 1 Pi can control, may cut down on that cost too

Where did you order yours for $30. 

I just ordered a 5A-75B on Amazon for a $38. 

Are you sure you didn't order a 5A-75. 

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 75 and the 75B. 

I think I saw that one with my search but what confuses me is that picture of a 75. 

The 75B has a different Power connector. 

And maybe that's the only difference is the power connector that we're not going to use anyways.( because we use the screw terminals)

31 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I think I saw that one with my search but what confuses me is that picture of a 75. 

The 75B has a different Power connector. 

And maybe that's the only difference is the power connector that we're not going to use anyways.( because we use the screw terminals)

they responded 

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you, we confirm that it is 5A-75B, its main characteristic is to have 8 linsn75 ports, and it supports 1/32 scans, we will send it today, if you have any questions, please feel Free to contact us, looking forward to continue to serve you, thank you
Best regards
Vince

im assuming these P10's are LINS ports like he says below

as long as the display board is also linsn75 port, it must be connected to the PC Gigabit Ethernet port, it must use Gigabit network cable, or the PC can not find it. We do not know the structure of your display module, we can not provide specific technical support, we can be sure it supports 1/8 scan P10 display module.If you have any questions, feel free to contact us, thank you
Best regards
Vince

I'm not going to try to decipher what he wrote. 

You will need to make a connection between the color light board and your computer through a gigabeat ethernet connection to use their software for your initial setup. 

You'll need to download LED vision onto your computer to set up the card. 

After that you will need a USB to ethernet adapter connected to the pi to communicate with the card. 

Yesterday I bought a USB 3.0 to gigabit adapter at Best Buy that worked. 

The Amazon basics adapters don't work. 

Edited by Ebuechner

15 pages so far of this P10 stuff.........sheesh.  Where's the ignore button?

Edited by B.Y.R.G.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Lots to learn young Jedi!! 

23 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

click unfollow or just don't look at the thread... lots of good info in here for matrix stuff

Whew, made it through page 10 today.  This project has definitely made my list of things to do and add to my show.  

16 minutes ago, BMurray said:

So is it better to get a color light board or just run the matrix with the BBB/octoscroller or Pi

I’m going with the Pi with PiHat for my two little ones this year.  But mine will not be any video.  If I build the big one next year, it will likely be the ColorLght board.  If I knew a month ago what I know now, I would have to seriously look at going the ColorLight route.

2 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

It's not plug-and-play.

1 hour ago, BMurray said:

So is it better to get a color light board or just run the matrix with the BBB/octoscroller or Pi

If you're running under 36 panels go with the pi with an octoscroller.

If you're over that amount use the beaglebone with an octoscroller or a pi running a color light card. 

Here are some pros and cons.

The beaglebone hasn't proven to be as reliable as the pi (in my opinion) and has had some issue driving the panels this really depends on your level of expectation of performance. 

The pi (in my opinion) has proven to be more reliable but there's still a risk of building it into a p 10 panel where you have limited access.

The colorlight card is really new to the scene so opinions are still being formed but it's a commercial grade board that's more capable of handling extreme weather conditions and it's designed specifically to run LED panels of all types but it still relies on a pi to drive it. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

If you're running under 36 panels go with the pi with an octoscroller.

With a Pi, you run a PiHat, not a Octoscroller.  The rest of it I pretty much agree with you.  My two panels this year will be 12 P10 panels and six P5 panels (which is channel equivalent to 24 P10 panels).  Both will use Pi 3s.

3 hours ago, brichi said:

click unfollow or just don't look at the thread... lots of good info in here for matrix stuff

I'm definitely not following this thread and it's impossible not to see it when clicking unread content as it gets responded to very often.  It's cool that ya'll are into it but It seems like a lot of work and hardware to have this "glorified" matrix compared to a traditional matrix of strips or nodes.  I watched Chet's P10 matrix in his videos and it didn't really give me the WOW impression I was expecting.  It felt more like watching a video display which is exactly what it was doing.  It will be interesting to see your final videos and how you incorporate it into the show.

the 56 panel matrix I build looks 1000 times better then doing it with nets and nodes, I want to play real videos along with the sequences and playing a video like Uptown Funk for example or clips from Christmas Vacation are barely visible on a net of single nodes unless you do really really tiny spacing and spend a lot more then just doing P10 panels. This video clip I recorded was a few feet away in my living room around 8ftx7ft, I was definitely happier with this then attempting this many pixels doing nets or strips 

25 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I'm definitely not following this thread and it's impossible not to see it when clicking unread content as it gets responded to very often.  It's cool that ya'll are into it but It seems like a lot of work and hardware to have this "glorified" matrix compared to a traditional matrix of strips or nodes.  I watched Chet's P10 matrix in his videos and it didn't really give me the WOW impression I was expecting.  It felt more like watching a video display which is exactly what it was doing.  It will be interesting to see your final videos and how you incorporate it into the show.

my videos are limited by the quality of video I was feeding it.  I pulled my video content from YouTube so that isn't exactly the greatest source of HD content.  Cost-wise a P10 is cheaper to build than a strip or node matrix (there is little traditional in this hobby) and has a higher concentration of pixels per square foot.  There are others that have used effects, GIF's, and other images on those and the result is awe inspiring.  Don't base your opinion on my videos, this is my first year using the P10.  For what I built it for it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Edited by caniac

Is the color light board able to be connected to a laptop or only desktop computer?

I have already ordered two BBB and octoscroller. But I want to run snippits of video too. The BBB and octoscroller s weren't that expensive so if I need to put them.on a shelf for a smaller project I can. I still haven't received my P10 panels yet so I'm trying to see what the BEST option is at this point before I start building. 

Thanks!