Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

that pic is from S5 which looks just like PE in S4 ,  I think S5 did away with visualizer and you only use preview manager which is the same look as pixel editors layout

5 minutes ago, brichi said:

that pic is from S5 which looks just like PE in S4 ,  I think S5 did away with visualizer and you only use preview manager which is the same look as pixel editors layout

Ok, thanks for the info. 

Hopefully, LOR releases S5 into production within the next few months,  hopefully SS will work with S5 Preview, and hopefully SS will be able to handle two pixels on each P10 board that cross universes.

As for using SuperStar , there may be a way.  I noticed that in FPP you can set universe size to 510 channels.  If that works, you should be able to build a Visualization file and them use SuperStar.  I will attempt that today after I finish pruning my roses.

LOL.   I pruned my roses in November, and they've not budged since.

k6ccc, thanks for your effort in figuring out if SS can be used to sequence the P10 panels through FPP.   This will be the first time I use FPP.   I hope FPP does not just auto-number channels, but allows assigning channels.

36 minutes ago, Ed K said:

LOL.   I pruned my roses in November, and they've not budged since.

I have 17 roses in my front yard along a wall.  Got 15 done yesterday, but ran out of daylight.  Only two left to prune.  This is Southern California, so they pretty much grow all year.

East_end_of_planter.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ed K said:

k6ccc, thanks for your effort in figuring out if SS can be used to sequence the P10 panels through FPP.   This will be the first time I use FPP.   I hope FPP does not just auto-number channels, but allows assigning channels.

Although to a large extent I expect to use Pixel Editor to sequence the P10 panels, it would be nice to be able to use SuperStar.  One of the big reasons for using PE is channel count.  I currently have a 9,000 channel SuperStar license and will be increasing that to 12,000 channels for this year.  I think I have my 2018 show configuration finalized and there will be 11,268 channels sequenced in SuperStar - not counting the P10 matrix and the P5 matrix.  The P10 matrix will be 18,432 channels and the P5 matrix will be 36,864 channels.  That would be a lot of SuperStar upgrade!

In any case, I will see what I can do with Visualizer and SuperStar later today...

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

This is Southern California, so they pretty much grow all year.

Yep, I live about 25 miles east of Sacramento, next to Folsom Lake, and the weather is always great.  My roses still seem to stay dormant, though green.

11 minutes ago, caniac said:

what is the colorlight card?

ColorLight is a "receiver" card.  It gets mated with a "sender" card.  The sender takes DVI video in and puts it into raw Ethernet packets.  The Receiver card receives the raw Ethernet packets and drives a P10 matrix.  Go to:  https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-diy-led-video-wall/overview  to learn about as much as I know about it.  That is not the same card that was being used in the video, but it's enough to learn what the heck he's talking about.

With that said, I'm impressed.  If you are running video only, that may well be the way to go.  As I am not planning on video (at least this year), not gonna go that direction.

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

As for using SuperStar , there may be a way.  I noticed that in FPP you can set universe size to 510 channels.  If that works, you should be able to build a Visualization file and them use SuperStar.  I will attempt that today after I finish pruning my roses.

Short answer - it worked.  More in a little bit...

1 hour ago, caniac said:

what is the colorlight card?

It's a card that's only purpose is to drive LED panels which means that it can match exact refresh rates and other parameters to drive the panels with better color depth and scan rates. 

The advantage is you can still use an ethernet cable to run your display but you won't need to build a pi or beaglebone into the back of your display. 

These are also capable of doing more panels as well as different refresh rates sizes and orientation. ( you can also daisy-chain the receiver cards together to make a huge display if you choose)

In the video I had my computer sending E1 31 packets to the Raspberry Pi which then was converting that data to send to the color light receiver card. 

There was some concern with the pie converting the data that there would be a noticeable leg from the panel. 

Edited by Ebuechner

Earlier today, I built a visualization in S4.3.24 of a 32 row by 64 column matrix (2 wide by 2 high P10 panels).  I told Visualizer to pack the rows so there were no unused channels.  Visualizer being unable to split a pixel between universes only uses 510 channels.  Since there were four panels, which would take very slightly over three universes per panel, the visualization took a total of 12 complete and one partial universe.  I then used SuperStar S4.3.24 to build a one minute sequence.  This was then exported to Sequence Editor as an intensity file.

In FPP, I configured a matrix of 2 wide by 2 high P10 panels and I configure 13 universes that were configured as using only 510 channels per universe in E1.31 bridge mode.

I then played the sequence using S4.3.24 Sequence Editor.  It played essentially exactly as I expected.  There were a few places where there were unexpected pixels on the far right or left edge of the panel, but there was very little of that.  As my test last week, the panels were just sitting on the floor and not connected to each other mechanically - and not quite perfectly aligned.  Note, you will see artifacting in the form of mirror image of the actual panel display - That is in the camera and was not on the panel.  That is obvious in several places where I moved the camera and the artifacts move around - including off the panel.  Also note that the video may show as upside down - that is being fixed on the you tube end.  That is a benefit of my piece of crap iPhone.

10 hours ago, k6ccc said:

ColorLight is a "receiver" card.  It gets mated with a "sender" card.  The sender takes DVI video in and puts it into raw Ethernet packets.  The Receiver card receives the raw Ethernet packets and drives a P10 matrix.  Go to:  https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-diy-led-video-wall/overview  to learn about as much as I know about it.  That is not the same card that was being used in the video, but it's enough to learn what the heck he's talking about.

With that said, I'm impressed.  If you are running video only, that may well be the way to go.  As I am not planning on video (at least this year), not gonna go that direction.

so mostly for pushing video content a distance from the P10?  you lose effects and everything else?

Caniac I believe the simplest way to put it as far as I have read up on and awesome info from the guys here as always it the colorlight card is pretty much similar to a Pi Hat or octoscroller BUT its on its own and does a better job being its made for LED panels and you can leave it on its own vs having to have it mounted to the Pi

in this case you can have a Pi in you house vs outdoors and then run an ethernet cord from the Pi to the receiver card outside mounted to the display

please correct me if im wrong guys but that seems to be the easiest way to explain it, an octoscroller or pi hat that doesn't need to be mounted right to a BBB or Pi

7 minutes ago, brichi said:

Caniac I believe the simplest way to put it as far as I have read up on and awesome info from the guys here as always it the colorlight card is pretty much similar to a Pi Hat or octoscroller BUT its on its own and does a better job being its made for LED panels and you can leave it on its own vs having to have it mounted to the Pi

in this case you can have a Pi in you house vs outdoors and then run an ethernet cord from the Pi to the receiver card outside mounted to the display

please correct me if im wrong guys but that seems to be the easiest way to explain it, an octoscroller or pi hat that doesn't need to be mounted right to a BBB or Pi

You pretty much got it.

These cards are the commercial grade unit that's designed to drive these panels. 

You can keep your Raspberry Pi in the house garage or attic running the display remotely giving you access to the Pi if you need to do any maintenance and the receiver card is built into the display and there is nothing on there that you would need to access physically.

13 minutes ago, brichi said:

cost?

I just ordered a card for $30, does 256x256 pixels, same as Ebuechner is using

I wonder how many colorlights 1 Pi can control, may cut down on that cost too