Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

the Beagle bone (I couldn't use a Pi) is mounted with a mount that Boscoyo makes - https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_52_39&products_id=78

The distros fit pet on the existing holes of the panels so I used one of the panel holes and screw to screw it right to the panel

Edited by brichi

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

the Beagle bone (I couldn't use a Pi) is mounted with a mount that Boscoyo makes - https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_52_39&products_id=78

The distros fit pet on the existing holes of the panels so I used one of the panel holes and screw to screw it right to the panel

Boscoyo mount didn't seem to work with a regular PI so I got one from Crocketts that I have yet to use.  I do like your use of distro's so I may make changes to mine.  This past year was just about proving it would work.

same caniac, I proved it works now and I started working on my sequences, once I figure out if I can mount these on my windows safely then I will be doing a second 54 panel screen so my 2 second floor windows are screens for christmas 2018, I cant wait till it gets warmer so I can get up there and figure it all out. the panel probably weighs about 40-50 pounds so I may hire a contractor to help me out with his knowledge 

11 minutes ago, brichi said:

same caniac, I proved it works now and I started working on my sequences, once I figure out if I can mount these on my windows safely then I will be doing a second 54 panel screen so my 2 second floor windows are screens for christmas 2018, I cant wait till it gets warmer so I can get up there and figure it all out. the panel probably weighs about 40-50 pounds so I may hire a contractor to help me out with his knowledge 

that's what I used memorial day and the 4th of July for.  Put together some patriotic sequences (mostly because rap wouldn't fly out here - lol), and ran it both holidays to work out any issues.

thats a great idea, I may run it for 4th too to test. I did that last year once I finished all my window frames, I threw them up with red/white/blue patterns just to test 

9 minutes ago, brichi said:

thats a great idea, I may run it for 4th too to test. I did that last year once I finished all my window frames, I threw them up with red/white/blue patterns just to test 

that gives you time to work out any kinks and fix things you don't like or just don't work.

46 minutes ago, brichi said:

the bugs right now are mainly in LOR, I hope they start working on the fixes soon

why I went the xLights route, not anything against LOR but given that and S5 appears to be in forever beta mode I wanted to make sure what I was doing would work.  Season before last I was constantly having issues with S4, sequences that were moved to my show computer and get compressed would get corrupt and not play or simply had to compress again prior to playing.  When talking AC props that isn't a big issue, just adds a second or two delay to the song playing but then you factor in RGB sequences and 1-2 seconds became 1-2 minutes.  Once they come out with a production version I may give LOR another look see but until then I will stay with what worked last season.

Even S4 was killing me trying video the other day on another machine, they need to get up to speed I feel to catch up with software I spend hundreds on and cant successfully add P10 video content :(

3 hours ago, brichi said:

I like the rig runner you're using, I just looked it up for my second display, too bad its crazy expensive, lol

I use the RigRunner fuse panels with some of my ham radio stuff.  When they first came out many years ago, there really was not much else available, so they became quite popular in the ham community - despite the price (and hams are notoriously cheap).  That particular panel is normally in my office but because of an office relocation is not being used for a few weeks.  I will not be using that permanently.  I have some of the Crockett distro boards on order.

3 hours ago, brichi said:

I was thinking if something went wrong with the power supply and it sends out a high voltage at least the panels are protected. I ran all my panels to a distro and then only 4 wires to the ps

OK, some basic electrical info.  A fuse distribution panel does several things.  First is that it provides wiring connection points for a bunch of wires.  When you have large numbers of wires, this can be very useful.  The second is that it provides over current protection for the downstream wiring and loads.  A fuse does NOT provide any sort of over voltage protection.  

1 hour ago, caniac said:

so is it something I should add to mine or overkill?

My personal opinion is that fusing the power to the panels would be a good idea.  The biggest thing you are protecting by fusing the power to the panels is not a failure of the panel, but a failure of your wiring.  Of course a panel could fail, but the chances of a panel developing a failure that would draw massive amounts of current is pretty small.  However the wiring to the panels can develop a problem such as a connection coming loose causing an energized wire to end up floating around, or a wire getting pinched and damaging the insulation.  The 350W power supply can easily supply far more current than the wiring to the panels can carry in the event of a short circuit. 

I put my money where my mouth is - I ordered the Crockett distro boards, and since they had not arrived, I used the RigRunner that was available for my initial testing.

Well.... I'm getting on the P10 panel bandwagon. Just ordered a 36 panel kit  and an extra P10 scroller and BBB from  .http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=461 

Going to make two matrix. One 2x4 for the Tune To sign and MIIP info. The other will be a 3x9 for my kitchen window. 

Guess I got almost 300 posts to read through to get an idea of what to do...:wacko::P:D

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BMurray said:

What is this? And do I need one??

A RigRunner is a power distribution & fuse panel.  It's not what I would expect anyone else to use for power distribution.  I have not received the distro boards and wanted to have something to fuse my wiring, and I had this available.  You can see it above my panel in the video I posted late Friday evening.  This is the distribution boards I have on order:

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/cfol-distro-8/

My recommendation is to use something to fuse the panels.

Already ordered 4 of the distro 8 boards. Don't know how many I'll need. I'm adding around 4,000 more pixels to my display this year too. So I'll probably need to use them all....

31 minutes ago, BMurray said:

Already ordered 4 of the distro 8 boards. Don't know how many I'll need. I'm adding around 4,000 more pixels to my display this year too. So I'll probably need to use them all....

Same here - I ordered more that I need for my two panels.  Useful thing to have around...

always good to have extra! I order extra especially when paying a lot for shipping like from Ray Wu stuff in China, I ordered i think like 6 extra p10's just because. 

Now if i could just get the image to look smooth, its driving me crazy!! The image keeps breaking up on me as stuff scrolls or videos play. I can't seem to get this issue fixed. Even running a pattern like "butterfly" in LOR (or xlights) causes lines to break up and distortion 

This is what I usually use.

HELLA H84960111 8-Way Lateral Single Fuse Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU9D20/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qqKzAbKGHQ04F

But I'm thinking of giving this a try. 

OLS 10-Way Blade Fuse Box [LED Indicator for Blown Fuse] [Protection Cover] [100 Amps] - Fuse Block for Automotive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QMULSUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_srKzAbPEFRWN5