Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Here is a quick test of 8 of my P10 panels being driven by two Raspberry Pi 3s controlled by LOR S5.  Each Pi is controlling one row of the matrix.  I'm doing it this way because I have not receive the required longer cables to connect the rows together.  Note that the panels are not connected together because I have not received those parts yet - the panels are just laying on the floor...

Yea, it's a crappy cellphone video :)

looks great, glad to see yours lags too at times and its not just mine. im already programming for next year, it looks awesome

heres 1 video, im upstairs shooting out my window so the lines you see are the window screen - 

this is the other video recording the animation in LOR preview with more stuff - 

Edited by brichi

4 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

It looks like you got a panel with at least 3 dead pixels. 

Nope, just a cable laying in front of it.  I had not even noticed that on the video until you mentioned it.  

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Nope, just a cable laying in front of it.  I had not even noticed that on the video until you mentioned it.  

Well there you go, that's what happens when you look at the video on the little screen. ( my cell phone)

When I expanded the video then I could see it. 

2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Well there you go, that's what happens when you look at the video on the little screen. ( my cell phone)

When I expanded the video then I could see it. 

Been there, done that.  Although I do a lot from a smartphone, it is no substitute for a real PC.  In fact, I’m sending this from this piece of crap iPhone that my employer switched me over to a few months ago using the web interface (damn I wish we could get TapaTalk back on this forum).  Granted that I’m spoiled on PC screen space.  At home I have a 23 & a 24 inch monitor and want to add a third or third and fourth monitor, and at work, three of my computers have two monitors and one has four.  The only computer that only has one monitor runs a dedicated application (a radio dispatch console) and really only needs one.

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Here is a quick test of 8 of my P10 panels being driven by two Raspberry Pi 3s controlled by LOR S5.

Very nice job, congratulations.  You're leadin' the way for many of us. 

I don't use the beta S5, and I use only SuperStar for sequence building (including Brian's pre-releases when they fix an issue).  But, I'm looking ahead to when LOR puts S5 into production, which I'll then download.  

Did you define the P10 prop in an S5 Preview Design window?  Does the S5 preview design include a P10 panel type of pre-defined prop, or did you define this P10 prop as one matrix?  I'm assuming you did not sequence this test in SS, correct?

BTW, I didn't think there was any such thing as a crappy iPhone. Incredible, ground-breaking product.

41 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Been there, done that.  Although I do a lot from a smartphone, it is no substitute for a real PC.  In fact, I’m sending this from this piece of crap iPhone that my employer switched me over to a few months ago using the web interface (damn I wish we could get TapaTalk back on this forum).  Granted that I’m spoiled on PC screen space.  At home I have a 23 & a 24 inch monitor and want to add a third or third and fourth monitor, and at work, three of my computers have two monitors and one has four.  The only computer that only has one monitor runs a dedicated application (a radio dispatch console) and really only needs one.

I end up doing most everything from my phone as well so I don't end up strapped to a office chair. And I know how you feel about the iPhones, got to love a company that pushes their product as a status symbol too weak minded individuals who would stand in line for hours to get one just so they can feel like they fit in. ( sorry Ed K you're never going to convince me otherwise)

I have one computer hooked up to a 65 inch monitor I use that for as flight simulator.

How did we get here from P10 panels?

39 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Very nice job, congratulations.  You're leadin' the way for many of us. 

Thank you, but there are several others here that are leading the way.

39 minutes ago, Ed K said:

I don't use the beta S5, and I use only SuperStar for sequence building (including Brian's pre-releases when they fix an issue).  But, I'm looking ahead to when LOR puts S5 into production, which I'll then download. 

I did all sequencing and running the show in 2017 in S4.  I had played with S5 for a bit during the early part of the beta, but by early November, I switched back to S4 to run my show.  I have re-loaded 5.0.16 as of a few weeks ago on everything.

1 hour ago, Ed K said:

Did you define the P10 prop in an S5 Preview Design window?  Does the S5 preview design include a P10 panel type of pre-defined prop, or did you define this P10 prop as one matrix?  I'm assuming you did not sequence this test in SS, correct?

Yes, I did this in S5.0.16.  I just defined a single matrix that changed size several times as I kept adding panels to the test..

Unless there is something I have not found, there is no way to do this in SuperStar.  Actually SuperStar does not have a limitation, but Visualizer does.  Visualizer does not allow a RGB pixel to span universes.  As far as I can tell the P10 panels require all 512 channels in each DMX universe to be used which requires that pixels cross universe boundries.

1 hour ago, Ed K said:

BTW, I didn't think there was any such thing as a crappy iPhone. Incredible, ground-breaking product.

Having been forced to go from an Android to this iPhone in September - I HATE IT.  So much stuff that is easy on the Android, and either difficult or flat out impossible on the iPhone.  After having an employer issued smart phone for about 12 years - various BlackBerry, then Android, and now the iPhone, I have never personally owned a smartphone.  This move is going to force me to go out and buy an Android and then just use for iPhone for nothing but work stuff.

Back to P10 panels...

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Visualizer does not allow a RGB pixel to span universes.

Thanks for the feedback. 

I might be missing what you're saying.  You note that Visualizer does not allow a "RGB pixel" (i.e., you don't mean a prop?) to span universes.  I'm not clear what this means (2 channels in one universe, and a pixel's third channel in another?).

Just to confirm what is probably obvious to you:   I defined each of my four mini trees in Visualizer (200 pixels each mini tree).  So, each mini tree requires two universes.  I identified the two universes for each mini tree in Visualizer. 

Ditto for a couple of 200 pixel matrices.

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

As far as I can tell the P10 panels require all 512 channels in each DMX universe to be used which requires that pixels cross universe boundries.

Geez, now I understand what you mean about Visualizer.  That is an issue.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, caniac said:

Looking at your power distribution.  Looks like you have the same power cables that came with mine that each power two panels.  Then you tie two of those to the white cables with blue wirenuts.  That would make eight white power cables plus one for the Pi going to the power supply, but I count quite a bit more than that to the right of the power supply.  Or do the three to the left of the power supply go over to the piece of wood and double back so you could move the power supply somewhere else?  The real question is are you fusing those wires anywhere?  I can't see any fusing.

Unrelated, if I am following data cables, you have the top three rows on one output from the PiHat, the next three rows from a second output of the PiHat and the bottom two rows on the last output.  Do I have that right?

50 minutes ago, brichi said:

I did fused distros to be safe, I purchased and used 4 of these for my setup - https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/presale-cfol-distro-8/

I have several of those on order and you can see the fuse panel I'm using for my testing above the matrix in the video I linked yesterday.

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Looking at your power distribution.  Looks like you have the same power cables that came with mine that each power two panels.  Then you tie two of those to the white cables with blue wirenuts.  That would make eight white power cables plus one for the Pi going to the power supply, but I count quite a bit more than that to the right of the power supply.  Or do the three to the left of the power supply go over to the piece of wood and double back so you could move the power supply somewhere else?  The real question is are you fusing those wires anywhere?  I can't see any fusing.

Unrelated, if I am following data cables, you have the top three rows on one output from the PiHat, the next three rows from a second output of the PiHat and the bottom two rows on the last output.  Do I have that right?

Optical illusion, the person that built this for me left the wiring long in the event I wanted to move the power supply from it's current location.  The piece of wood makes it a bit more rigid, had a bit of a flex to it.  No fusing because it was going to be inside and connected to a UPS.  I think you are correct on the data cables.  I don't have it packed for the move yet if you need additional pics.

I like the rig runner you're using, I just looked it up for my second display, too bad its crazy expensive, lol

25 minutes ago, brichi said:

I like the rig runner you're using, I just looked it up for my second display, too bad its crazy expensive, lol

???

Caniac, in k6's video for his power distribution he's running a "rig runner 4012" vs falcons distro boxes to protect the panels but the rig runner model is over $100

Edited by brichi

5 minutes ago, brichi said:

Caniac, in k6's video for his power distribution he's running a "rig runner 4012" vs falcons distro boxes to protect the panels but the rig runner model is over $100

the black box at the top of the video?  If you are running everything from the power supply and the power supply is 5v then why would you simply not protect just the power supply?

8 minutes ago, brichi said:

I was thinking if something went wrong with the power supply and it sends out a high voltage at least the panels are protected. I ran all my panels to a distro and then only 4 wires to the p/s

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oi4baogtb05dxy/IMG_0614.JPG?dl=0

looks cleaner, how do you have your Pi mounted?  will you mount the distro's?