Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

its a sickness, lol. but a fun one

make sure you add Ito this post too, they need to fix this, the more DMX you add the slower LOR becomes, not good at all, I cant even program in LOR right now - 

52 minutes ago, caniac said:

that item is for controlling pixels not P10 panels, P10 panels use a ribbon cable.  It is possible to run a pixel based show using nothing but Pi's to control your lights (and xLights) - no RGB controllers.

Can you describe how you set up a  Pi, which is running FPP, so that it can receive DMX signals coming from a PC's Ethernet port over Cat 5 to control P10 panels? 

What I know:  Load FPP on a micro SD and run the Pi with FPP; assign a unique IP address to the Pi (just like every other E1.31 controller). 

One thing I don't know:  where physically are you connecting the wires from the first P10 to the Pi (or to the PiHat, or to the PiCap).

58 minutes ago, mwilson6192 said:

snagged the last P10 Panels from DIY Express

DIY Express is a thriving business.  They'll get more in stock and up for sale.

Broadcasting DMX via LOR is fairly easy after you learn to set up your DMX universes in LOR's Network Preferences.  Using LOR files created from your saved sequences,  LOR  sends DMX info through your PC's Ethernet port on a Cat 5 cable to your E1.31 controllers.  You don't want to (or have to) go through LOR's unique network or controllers to control your E1.31 controllers.  And, you still simultaneously use LOR's proprietary USB-connected network/protocol to control your LOR controllers and lights. 

25 minutes ago, Ed K said:

Can you describe how you set up a  Pi, which is running FPP, so that it can receive DMX signals coming from a PC's Ethernet port over Cat 5 to control P10 panels? 

What I know:  Load FPP on a micro SD and run the Pi with FPP; assign a unique IP address to the Pi (just like every other E1.31 controller). 

One thing I don't know:  where physically are you connecting the wires from the first P10 to the Pi (or to the PiHat, or to the PiCap).

It will take me a few to upload photo's to show you but out of the piHat you have a ribbon cable that goes to your first P10, then from it a ribbon cable from Panel 1 to Panel 2, then from Panel 2 to Panel 3 and so on.  You won't use a PiCap, that's for pixels and not Panels.

also the Pi gets its power thru the PiHat (from the power supply), you will notice on my pics I have two wires going into the PiHat that come from the PC Power supply that i use.  Pins 1 and 2 on the PiHat supply power to the Pi underneath it.

45 minutes ago, caniac said:

It will take me a few to upload photo's to show you but out of the piHat you have a ribbon cable that goes to your first P10, then from it a ribbon cable from Panel 1 to Panel 2, then from Panel 2 to Panel 3 and so on.  You won't use a PiCap, that's for pixels and not Panels.

Ahh, your text and close-ups really helped me.  Mucho gracias. 

My aha moment:   the first P10 is connected to the Pi Hat via a ribbon.  That's the key part I NEVER knew until just now.    

So, I'll revise my text-based graphic (I feel like I'm printing with Basic on a TTY with a daisy wheel):

PC --------> Ethernet port ------> Cat 5 cable -----> Pi  (running FPP, with a unique IP address)  ----> Pi Hat (hardware attached on top)  ------ribbon cable---->  first P10 panel.       Then the required ribbon between each additional panel.

2 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

Now I'll be forced to learn DMX via LOR (as I want to control everything via LOR).

That will take about 30 seconds.  And yes, I also will be sequencing everything in LOR.

2 hours ago, mwilson6192 said:

I plan on using the P10 panel for a Tune To sign among other things.

That's what I'm aiming for this year. 

15 minutes ago, Ed K said:

PC --------> Ethernet port ------> Cat 5 cable -----> Pi  (running FPP, with a unique IP address)  ----> Pi Hat (hardware attached on top)  ------ribbon cable---->  first P10 panel.       Then the required ribbon between each additional panel.

Sounds about right.  Depending on you ethernet network, there may be a switch or two and more cables, but you've got the general idea.  Then each successive P10 panel has a ribbon cable between the panels.  Each panel also has a power connection.

My use is as a message / Tune To sign.   Plus, I'll use it for educating myself about Pi and P10 stuff this year.  

From the photo provided by caniac, the board used to control the P10 boards from a Pi is sold for $13 at http://renard-shop.com/home/48-raspberry-pi-matrix-adapter.html 

I just ordered it.  The Renard-Shop website is not the clearest site about what each of their products is, nor about what comes with each product (i.e., any standoffs, nuts, bolts?).  But, the board appears to work for caniac's P10s, so I'm trying it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ed K said:

From the photo provided by caniac, the board used to control the P10 boards from a Pi is sold for $13 at http://renard-shop.com/home/48-raspberry-pi-matrix-adapter.html 

I just ordered it.  The Renard-Shop website is not the clearest site about what each of their products is, nor about what comes with each product (i.e., any standoffs, nuts, bolts?).  But, the board appears to work for caniac's P10s, so I'm trying it.

another source and assembled:

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/pre-sale-matrix-pihat/

31 minutes ago, Ed K said:

that's because you solder it yourself from parts they supply or from the list of supplies to purchase.  www.renard-shop.com is a true "do-it-yourself",  Though my piHat is from them I bought it assembled.

caniac, did you also buy your P10s here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Outdoor-P10-rgb-SMD-3in1-full-color-LED-module-Scan-Mode-1-4-screen-unit-board/701799_32601471511.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.1c620e56b49xpU ?

I wasn't sure from reading one of your original replies to brichi.

Or from Crockett?  Or . . . . ?    

Also, where did you purchase your ribbons, brackets, and power connections?  

1 hour ago, caniac said:

that's because you solder it yourself from parts they supply or from the list of supplies to purchase.  www.renard-shop.com is a true "do-it-yourself",  Though my piHat is from them I bought it assembled.

I did not find the fully assembled board on Renard-Shop site, so I purchased the kit.

1 minute ago, Ed K said:

caniac, did you also buy your P10s here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Outdoor-P10-rgb-SMD-3in1-full-color-LED-module-Scan-Mode-1-4-screen-unit-board/701799_32601471511.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.1c620e56b49xpU ?

I wasn't sure from reading one of your original replies to brichi.

Or from Crockett?  Or . . . . ?    

Also, where did you purchase your ribbons, brackets, and power connections?  

I did not find the fully assembled board on Renard-Shop site, so I purchased the kit.

ribbons, brackets, and power connections can be had from, Crockets, Boscoyo, and diyledexpress.  Boscoyo manufacturers the brackets.  Renard doesn't carry anything fully assembled, you have to build it.  My Renard PiHat came from another lighter for the matrix and I bought one from Crocketts for my marquee.