Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

so I want to do LED screens in my windows with nets and nodes but feel the resolution obviously won't be that great to play video on and then I came across these P10 LED panels

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Outdoor-P10-rgb-SMD-3in1-full-color-LED-module-Scan-Mode-1-4-screen-unit-board/701799_32601471511.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.1c620e56b49xpU

does anyone know if and how I can integrate this into S4/5 to run sequences on these panels? thanks!  

I searched around a little but there are very different answers and no definitive answer

10 minutes ago, brichi said:

I plan on buying a bunch of them to connect together to make it 5x5foot window screens

I believe Caniac has done something similar maybe he'll be along to chime in or if not just message him.

Mine is 4ft x 4ft square, 32 panels I think.  I am running everything thru xLights but it should work with LOR.  when you build your panel you will connect everything to one power supply for power.  It is controlled by a raspberry Pi running Falcon Player and my panels are connected using a PiHat (three outputs that support up to 12 panels each) but you can use an Octoscroller instead of a PiHat for support of up to 96 panels.  Boscoyo Studios makes connectors for the panels.  Have not tested it with S5 but with S4 you just set the Falcon Player to bridge mode so S4 can control it.  I would suggest building one and testing it January-March or building a small one (if you don't like it they are easily turned into tune to signs (I have a friend using four panels to announce the tune to station, show times, and a message for the day)).

ok thank you, ill check it all out, I guess you use regular ethernet from laptop to router and router to Pi? Just trying to figure out how u actually connect it between laptop and pi or octoscroller

Edited by brichi

6 minutes ago, brichi said:

ok thank you, ill check it all out, I guess you use regular ethernet from laptop to router and router to Pi? Just trying to figure out how u actually connect it between laptop and pi or octoscroller

it has to be on your home network (there are ways to put it on a separate network but can be a bit overwhelming when you are just starting out).  Mine is setup as 192.168.1.55 so when I type that in my browser it takes me to the Falcon Player, from there you configure everything.  Falcon Player is a free download,  Raspberry Pi is $35 or so, PiHat is $20 (Octoscroller is $25).  The PiHat or Octoscroller (depending on how many panels you decide to setup) sits on top of the Pi.  Falcon Player tells it what to do and how to display things.  IMO it's pretty easy peasy.  I will gladly help but there are others on here as well as on the Falcon forum, et al.  No shortage of help. 

awesome thank you!!!! im pretty good with the tech end of it once I have everything, thanks so much for the info on what to get. Now to figure out how im actually hanging it outside the window, lol

4 minutes ago, brichi said:

awesome thank you!!!! im pretty good with the tech end of it once I have everything, thanks so much for the info on what to get. Now to figure out how im actually hanging it outside the window, lol

that's definitely the easy part, mine is pretty light (I used and aluminum frame).  It has a groove in the front for plexi if I want to water proof it as well as one behind it.  depending on the wind you should have several options.

4 minutes ago, brichi said:

Caniac can I bother you just to tell me the panels you actually used and 12v or 5v if thats even an option

5v, don't hook up a 12v unless you just love buying panels!! :)   I have one power supply driving my 32 panels.

ok cool and which panels did you find for $8 a piece? 

can you literally program this as a sequence so when I do like a Rudolph part of a song in lights I can have Rudolph or something appear on the screens or is this just to throw on a video and let it play all night?

actually I may pass, if I am pricing this out right I found 3 inch by 7 inch panels, I am covering 2 -  80x60 inch windows meaning I would need like 200 panels per window at $2000 per window plus all the controller stuff and frame material. Am I off on this? seems like a lot unless im miscalculating something

26 minutes ago, brichi said:

ok cool and which panels did you find for $8 a piece? 

can you literally program this as a sequence so when I do like a Rudolph part of a song in lights I can have Rudolph or something appear on the screens or is this just to throw on a video and let it play all night?

Ray Wu had the panels.  you can do both and then some.  you can send pics, gifs, movies, or any other RGB effect you so choose.

14 minutes ago, brichi said:

actually I may pass, if I am pricing this out right I found 3 inch by 7 inch panels, I am covering 2 -  80x60 inch windows meaning I would need like 200 panels per window at $2000 per window plus all the controller stuff and frame material. Am I off on this? seems like a lot unless im miscalculating something

your numbers are off by a bunch, my panel is 48 inches square and cost $400 (including power supply, cables, mounting brackets, P10's,  Pi, PiHat, and frame).  Mine took 32 panels at $8 each.  What are the dimensions of the window?  Height? Width?  you might be looking at waterproof outdoor panels, those can be pricey.  Don't know of anyone using those for that reason.  A frame and two sheets of plexi (and some silicone) can be had for much much cheaper.

Edited by caniac

so you got 12x6" panels then obviously, I have to find those, they seem to be around $12-15  a piece, looking for the $8 ones 

10 minutes ago, brichi said:

so you got 12x6" panels then obviously, I have to find those, they seem to be around $12-15  a piece, looking for the $8 ones 

yep or at least that is what the metrics converted to.  I have seen them local at $12 to $15 but Ray had them at $8, of course I bought them last May so that might have been a factor.  You could save money building your frame out of 1 x 6 but that would add to the weight which may or may not be a factor depending on where you put it.