Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR CommListener Error

Richard Hamilton

Well, after 20 + years of doing this stuff, there hasn't been much of anything I couldn't solve on my own... until now that is.  After all, I did spend most of my career as an electronics and software designer.  I'm betting there are some smarter people out there that know more about multiple LOR networks than I do.  Sorry if I missed seeing this issue elsewhere in the forum.  I did spend time looking for it.

I run 3 networks (Regular, Aux A, and Aux B) on a separate Windows computer dedicated to only running LOR.  For whatever reason, two controllers (a 16 channel one, and a Pixie controller) on Aux B stop working during my show just a few minutes after starting up.  Never at the same place or song.  The other two networks keep working just fine.

I notice I get an error in the commlistener "19:LOR-AuxB [ERROR] Error sending packet: 31".  Yet, I have no idea what the "19" or the "31" refers to.  After that, Aux B (port 6 on my computer) seems to be locked up.  Even if I unload the LOR control panel, when I go into the Hardware control app, it says port 6 is in use!   Even if I go into Windows task manager and shut down everything related to LOR, the hardware config still thinks port 6 is in use.  The only way I get Aux B to work again is to restart the computer.  But then it only works for a few minutes after the show starts.

I'm fairly sure it is not the cable as I have a very high quality 100 foot cat 6 cable running to those to 2 controllers on Aux B and I have swapped the cable, and both cables work with other controllers without issue.

I guess it doesn't help that other ports sometimes get swapped on me when I haven't done anything except restart the computer.  Sometimes (but rare), port 3 (regular port), and port 4 (Aux A port) get swapped and you know what that means.  The display goes wacky until I go into the LOR Network config and swap them.

Yup, I have all 3 networks set to 500K enhanced mode, and I use the nice high speed red adapters for all 3 networks.  Windows device manager thinks all 3 ports are working properly.

So far, still stumped as to why Aux B continuously fails, so I guess I have to experiment with some more things.  Not really impressed with the hardware config that hasn't changed much in 15 years, but hey, I'll cut LOR some slack as they continually come up with new great stuff and support is better than any other company in America that I have run across.

Ideas certainly welcome.

Hi Richard,

My comm listener went haywire the other day and kept locking up my show.

Turned out my USB port was going out. I plugged it into another USB port on the PC and rebooted. All is good.

Greg

Edited by gsmith37064

Are ALL the boards capable of 500K?  Capable of Enhanced mode?

Each network may need to be tweaked to match the connected devices.

Yo duck.  Good question.  Some things I forgot to mention earlier.  ALL controllers in my show are the latest products shipped as of a couple months ago.  I sold all of my old controllers last year before moving to new home.  So yes, they are all 500K enhanced capable and I assume they would have come with the latest firmware by being that new. 

Not sure what you mean by needing to "tweak the network to match the connected devices.  I assume you mean to change the speed in NP to match the speed of the controllers.  Since all the controllers are new, I set them all to 500K enhanced. 

Also I run a pro license with 24 CCR capability which I have less than that.  I also ran verifier and no channel conflict are reported,  which I think would not make any difference anyway.  Also checked every sequence to make sure all of the channels send to the correct controllers and Unit IDs.   There is just something weird about trying to send data to those 2 controllers (16 chan controller ctb 16PC and the cosmic color controller CCC-II-with-2-CCB-II-100)  on Aux B.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

56 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Hi Richard,

My comm listener went haywire the other day and kept locking up my show.

Turned out my USB port was going out. I plugged it into another USB port on the PC and rebooted. All is good.

Greg

Good point Greg.  I thought of that and switched to another USB port.  Aux B used to be on comm 5.  This is also a new computer with nothing on it except LOR so I expect it to be working ok.  In my experience, when a comm port fails, you either no longer see it in the Windows device manager or the device manager reports a problem with it.  Glad you got your working.

And by the way, Franklin TN is a GREAT city.  I grew up in Dickson.  Franklin shows up in several studies as being one of the best places to live in America.  Hope you like it there.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• 10 months later...

In checking my old threads, I see that I forgot to come back here and give an update on what the problem was from the above post.

It turns out to be the ELLS !   I took the ELLs out of the network and used cat 5.   Everything worked fine after that without changing anything else. 

51 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

In checking my old threads, I see that I forgot to come back here and give an update on what the problem was from the above post.

It turns out to be the ELLS !   I took the ELLs out of the network and used cat 5.   Everything worked fine after that without changing anything else. 

After reading through your posts above you never once mentioned that you had ELLs in the config. That would have been some very important information seeing as how you had a Pixie in the config which needs 500k to work and the ELLs can't go above 115k.

• The topic was locked