Light-O-Rama Forums

COM Port Speeds

edtrac

Hi,

I have a few CCR sequences that overload the network so wanted to increase my speed from 57.6 to either 500k or 115.4k.  I purchased the high speed usb485 converter and got it hooked up with power coming from the old non-high speed devices I had.  I realized all my wireless stuff maxes out at 115.4k so it seems thats the highest I should be able to make this thing run.  My computer COM ports are set to 9600 and everything works fine at 57.6k.  When I change to 115.4 or 500k nothing seems to work.  Is there a trick here?

12 minutes ago, edtrac said:

Hi,

I have a few CCR sequences that overload the network so wanted to increase my speed from 57.6 to either 500k or 115.4k.  I purchased the high speed usb485 converter and got it hooked up with power coming from the old non-high speed devices I had.  I realized all my wireless stuff maxes out at 115.4k so it seems thats the highest I should be able to make this thing run.  My computer COM ports are set to 9600 and everything works fine at 57.6k.  When I change to 115.4 or 500k nothing seems to work.  Is there a trick here?

The device manager sets a default that you can ignore.  Use the network preference (right click the lightbulb) to set  each  adapter to what speed you want

Ahh I had forgotten the wireless units arent set to auto and they have speed settings as well.  Have everything set to 115.4k now and am about to try the sequence that didnt work before.

Correct, you have to set the speed on the ELL manually.  And remember you have to each on separately and at the speed that they are currently set to.

The old rule of thumb for 115k networks was 900 channels - or six CCRs.  If you’re running more than that, you may need to split things into multiple networks.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Correct, you have to set the speed on the ELL manually.  And remember you have to each on separately and at the speed that they are currently set to.

The old rule of thumb for 115k networks was 900 channels - or six CCRs.  If you’re running more than that, you may need to split things into multiple networks.

Good points K6.  I have even had trouble with an Ell falling behind with just one CCR and a 16 channel controller in complex sequences.  Thus, I don't even use ELLs any more.  I run cat 6 everywhere.

• The topic was locked