Light-O-Rama Forums

Friendly Neighborhood Competition

bryan.hurley5

So I finally set up my display yesterday (late due to a deployment) and I have noticed my neighbors putting more lights up on their display today. I love how I inadvertently made my neighborhood more festive! 

Has anyone else experienced this before?

• Like 2

Yes it happen in my area as I kept adding lights to my house my neighbors stepped up with their lights however they admit they can not keep up...

• Haha 1

Slowly, but surely my street is stepping up, but 3 years ago there wasn't even on house besides mine on my street. now I even have the family that live right across the street that is wanting to get started with 16 channels next year

58 minutes ago, jfuller8400 said:

I think mine had the opposite effect.  Most of my immediate neighbors don't decorate at all :(

Bunch of grinches!!!

When we first moved into the neighborhood only 3 houses out of almost 100 decorated.

This year roughly 80% of the neighborhood has lights up and some are even asking me where to get the controllers and hired my kids to pur their lights up as well. Shockingly they have been busy all month putting up lights for people in the neighborhood so I am very happy with how it turned out.  Sometimes all it takes is that one kick in the rear by an extreme holiday decorator to whip those lazy people into shape and jump start the holiday spirit.

Then again between my 3 years here and now having the easy link linkers controlling my neighbors lights as well for a combined 50k lights, Even the HOA has come around saying they love what we have done and even put donations in our box. Even the grinches in the neighborhood now have lights up. I honestly expected them to tell us to tone it down but we got the opposite and were encouraged to keep it going and told it makes people want to live here. So I definitely see a difference in the people around here. Heck I even have most of the neighborhood decorating for halloween now too so it is surely a good feeling. It only took them 3 years to join in but now I see neighbors we never knew we had since most people now walk the neighborhood at night. Total difference from when we first moved in. 2 different families even told us our displays are why they chose our neighborhood to move to.

Never give up on the holiday spirit, people will come around eventually even if it is only those star shower things lol

Edited by GriswoldStyle
  • Like 2

I don't attribute it to our display, but this year I've noticed an uptick in people in my 'hood putting up lights this year.  But we had a lot of turnover in the neighborhood - lots of new folks have moved in.  It's mostly those houses that are decorating, which is a nice change of pace.

My next door neighbors used to never decorate the outside, but over the past 2-3 years have brought out very modest decorations - some garland around their front door, twinkle lights on a couple bushes.  This year the wife admitted to me that her husband got on the roof to try and put lights around their garage roofline a few weeks ago, and failed.  Apparently when he got down he swore he'd never try again.  I  told her to tell him not to give up - he can ask for our help next year if he wants to try again. 

What's awesome is that some of the new neighbors have told me they like our display and dancing lights a lot - and yet they have NO IDEA what they'll experience next year when we do the full thing instead of the 30% we have going this year.  My teen daughter's friends have declared our house to be "boring" this year and have demanded we go full force AND MORE next year to make up for it.

20 hours ago, Jaynee said:

My teen daughter's friends have declared our house to be "boring" this year and have demanded we go full force AND MORE next year to make up for it.

Sounds like your daughter's friend is going to put you in a little bit of debt :)

I'm now controlling lights on 5 homes in my hood this year, all of them are already talking about going bigger next year.

6 hours ago, oilmoney said:

I'm now controlling lights on 5 homes in my hood this year, all of them are already talking about going bigger next year.

That is amazing! If I had the time and money I would light up my neighborhood. 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:44 AM, NEWTOUR said:

Slowly, but surely my street is stepping up, but 3 years ago there wasn't even on house besides mine on my street. now I even have the family that live right across the street that is wanting to get started with 16 channels next year

This is pretty much the same thing I have going on. 3 years ago no one was decorating besides us. . . Now there are a few homes on the street with lights, and my immediate neighbor want's me to do her house next year too!! 

Since I moved into my house 3 years ago I was the only house that decorated . Then somebody bought one of the other houses on the street and they put up a small number of lights and then my neighbor Kitty corner to me his daughter turned 3 this year And she demanded that her house have lights like the neighbor over their. So he walked across the street and asked to  Borrow my ladder   So i went over and helped him put up lights. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, GriswoldStyle said:

Even the HOA has come around saying they love what we have done and even put donations in our box. 

Wait, you have a donation box up? Does that work?

On 12/13/2017 at 6:51 AM, oilmoney said:

LOL...we started with just us, then 2, then 16, now 34...and 25 more wanna join it..........God help us all!  

Same thing happening in our town. When I started using LOR three years ago there were always some houses that were decorated, but this year there are WAY more houses with WAY more lights. Our next door neighbors have asked about hooking up to our show and said a good chunk of the houses on our street might be interested too. I better get organized, it sounds like things may get busy in the coming months. Lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, debtoews said:

LOL...we started with just us, then 2, then 16, now 34...and 25 more wanna join it..........God help us all!  

How many ELL networks do you run for that many houses?

On 12/20/2017 at 10:29 AM, debtoews said:

50!

Networks or controllers? I'm just curious how many channels and ELL's can be run off of one network.

36 minutes ago, debtoews said:

In our biggest network we have just under 500 channels and 12 ELL's- 

We run 9 networks and 50 ELL's

That's awesome! thank you!

• Like 1