Light-O-Rama Forums

How to print large images on multiple pieces of paper for tracing

hoosierdoc

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/print-large-image-multiple-pages-4-steps-using-microsoft-paint

I found this quick article about how to scale an image to print on several sheets of paper. I took a a 400x400px image of a tree and printed it on six sheets which I'll then trim and tape for an outline to trace onto my coroplast sheet from home depot.

I did it all with microsoft paint, freely installed with windows

• Like 3

Also, try to crop your image to remove all extra white space outside your shape. If you have 10% on each side as empty space and scale that across multiple sheets you'll have a fair amount of wasted space.

Something i learned, tape it all together with packing tape before cutting each individual sheet. Probably tape along your outline you plan to cut, front and back. This will keep your edges all lined up and make it a bit more rigid for tracing. Piecing it al together when cut individually is not fun. 

Learning by doing :D

• 6 months later...

We drew this out on a piece of subfloor plywood by using a standard paper size image and then using a projector to enlarge it on the plywood,  then we traced it out.   The projector controlled the size of the image and kept it to scale. 

horns.JPG

As another option

Walgreens  has Poster  printing for 24x36 size for about $20 at most photo locations

I've used a projector to do tracing in the past.  Both (old school) Overhead projector, and now I use my digital projector I use for 3D animation in my front window for Halloween.  I put the projector at one end of the basement and the coroplast or plywood at the other end to adjust how big I want it.  Sometimes the picture isn't totally clear, but works well enough.

• 7 months later...

I use big print program.  I paid for 30$ for it.  If you need an image converted to pdf on a certain scale then just message me and I will convert it for you for free.  And free for anyone that needs it done. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

I use big print program.  I paid for 30$ for it.  If you need an image converted to pdf on a certain scale then just message me and I will convert it for you for free.  And free for anyone that needs it done. 

Cool Offer!

JR

I use Rapidresizer. I see now there versions are on line only, Rapidresizer.com, but allows you to scale to very large sizes over multiple sheets of paper