Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 4D, non-repsonsive pixels at freezing temps.

rcoaster

I went from a CCB system last year with 100 pixels to a 250 pixel setup this year with a Pixie 4D. It's running a beta firmware that has a proper stand-alone functionality. The show runs off a G3 Mini-Director set at 500K. I switched to all new 12v C9 pixels from Holiday Coro (this was before LOR started offering their own 12v CCB strings). The power supply is a 200W 12v power supply, all the pixels total 120W, and I added 12 watts to power the mini-director. The director is powered by the Pixie 4D via a POE set-up. 

During the warmer days (above freezing) all the bulbs behave normally. When the temperature drops below freezing, on Port 1 (which has 100 pixels) only pixels 1-80 behave normally, 81-82 are static color and the rest are off. On Port 4 (which only has 50 pixels), Pixels 1-23 work normally, and the rest remain off. Port 2 has 100 pixels as well, and they all behave normally. Port 3 remains unused. 

Any suggestions what I should check? I tested everything inside my house, running the show for several hours without any issues before installing them outside.

Whats the distance from controller to first pixel(s)?

Doesn't say where you are at on your profile.

What RS485 adapter?

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Move to a warmer climate :)

it sounds like you are finding the temperature where those pixels start failing.  The failure points are likely the most sensitive of the pixels.

RS-485 adapter should not apply since you’re using a director.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Move to a warmer climate :)

it sounds like you are finding the temperature where those pixels start failing.  The failure points are likely the most sensitive of the pixels.

RS-485 adapter should not apply since you’re using a director.

I missed the not using computer part. 

JR

Also Check your 12V when it is cold. It may drift. IMHO set to  12.6 when at room temp. give safe breathing room.

Thanks for the suggestion about the voltage- I'll check the voltage levels. The LED driver (Pearlight) is rated for operating temps between -22 thru140F, and I couldn't find it's load derating curve, but based on other led drivers, the load would drop off at higher temps, not lower. So, at 27F, it should be at 100% voltage. I'll confirm tonight. It does say that there's a drift of ± .5 volts. The output is non-adjustable, and is fixed at 12V. 

As for the distance between the controller and the lights, the run down is this: 

Port 1: 100 pixels, 8" spacing between pixels, there is a 13' run between the controller and the first pixel.  

Port 2: 100 pixels, 8" spacing between first 50 pixels, 4" spacing between the 2nd 50; 10' run from the controller to the 1st pixel. 

Port 4: 50 pixels, 4" spacing between pixels, 11' run between the controller and the first pixel. 

By the way, I'm located in Rochester, NY and it was 27F last night, and no thanks, I like my cold air. :) 

Thanks everyone for their suggestions- the temps dropped to 16F and all the lights went out. I recently tested it, and found the voltage at 2.7. So, it's the power supply. Ordered a Mean Well 12V power supply this time, and will follow up once I get it from Amazon and install it. Pearlight Technology? Forget it- cheap chinese crap.

Well just to let you it's not the C9 pixels I have a couple 100 from Hoilday  Coro  on  my house and I live in the Chicago IL area  never  had a problem  with  the cold.  

• Like 1

• The topic was locked