Light-O-Rama Forums

New to starting a sequence

Tony2535

Staring at all those blank cells can be pretty daunting. If it's a musical sequence, get your audio file loaded and listen to it a few times. Get the beat and tempo figured out (timings). Picture certain props/lights doing certain things during specific points in the song and start by making those things happen. Although don't be too concerned about using the same lights for the same sounds throughout the sequence. Mix it up, it will be fine.

You don't have to work from beginning to end. Focus on getting something in there and keep building. Good luck! 

Think of all those grid squares as a single light bulb at a certain time. If the blank sheet has a color in the square a light will come on for that period of time.

If you haven't done so already you may want to use a color for each channel button just to help you sequence.

Keep in mind those colors have nothing to do with your lights, unless RGB the color of your lights are whatever color bulbs you have on the particular prop. I just talked to someone on the phone a few days ago that was confused about the lights thinking they could change the light colors on their props with the channel color button. In other words if you have green led or incan lights on your gutters and use a pink color in SE on your channel button, your lights will not magically become pink on the gutters. They will always remain green.

JR

Watching the channel buttons is good advice. If you are zoomed into just the channels you're working on when playing a range in the sequence, they can give you a really good visual feel for how the lights will act. Especially when you're just getting familiar with the SE (Sequence Editor).

Edited by Say watt??
Grammar

12 hours ago, Say watt?? said:

Staring at all those blank cells can be pretty daunting. If it's a musical sequence, get your audio file loaded and listen to it a few times. Get the beat and tempo figured out (timings). Picture certain props/lights doing certain things during specific points in the song and start by making those things happen. Although don't be too concerned about using the same lights for the same sounds throughout the sequence. Mix it up, it will be fine.

You don't have to work from beginning to end. Focus on getting something in there and keep building. Good luck! 

I agree with this.   Also, not every light or prop in your show has to be on or doing something at all times.    All of my sequences tend to have their own style/theme that (to me, anyway) suits the song - figure out what that song says to you (peppy, solemn, fun, reverent, etc and make the lights match that mood.     Sometimes I will toss in some not-so-subtle Easter Eggs - like whenever the word "Christmas" is used, I flash the RGB lights red and green, or when the words "bright" or "light" are used, I turn everything on.   Have fun with it.