Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I describe my setup?

MattJ

Hi Folks

First year noob.

I'm coming to the end of my (archaically) slow first year set up. By that I mean, at some point over this weekend, I will actually have everything hung, plugged in, tested and will be ready to do some of the fun stuff! A little behind the curve, right?

I poked around some of the other forums here and want to go play in the sequences forum next. I feel that to do that I need a better understanding of what I have just installed!!

Can anyone out there help me validate this, so I look like less of a noob outside this specific forum! :)

• I am running LOR Software Version:4.3.18 (Advanced Licence)
  • I have 2 x CB100D (Original? 1st Gen?) Cosmic Color Bulb Controllers (each with 100 bulbs) and 1 x CTB16PCg3 16 Channel controller, all hooked up to a G3-MP3 Director.

Here are my questions:

1. Does this mean I have 656 channels? 320 for each CB100D and 16 for the CTB16PCg3.
  2. Am I saying anything in the above two bullets that is superfluous? "each with 100 bulbs" for example.... "of course it has 100 bulbs, ya noob, it's the CB100D!!"
  3. Am I missing anything about my set up that I ought to go find out? For example;Do all of my controllers have HW & FW versions that are going to be really important for people to know when I'm asking about sequences?

Having browsed the other forums I am really appreciative for those experts out there, who return to this forum to get us noobs up and running. The LOR documentation and videos are good but I would have been lost without some of the answers I have got here. 

Thanks again. Cheers

20 minutes ago, MattJ said:

Does this mean I have 656 channels? 320 for each CB100D and 16 for the CTB16PCg3.

That's right.

21 minutes ago, MattJ said:

Am I saying anything in the above two bullets that is superfluous? "each with 100 bulbs" for example.... "of course it has 100 bulbs, ya noob, it's the CB100D!!"

Actually they CAN be ordered with just one string, and with the newer generation cosmic color devices which have far more options, being specific is a good thing.  Avoids assumptions.

22 minutes ago, MattJ said:

Am I missing anything about my set up that I ought to go find out? For example;Do all of my controllers have HW & FW versions that are going to be really important for people to know when I'm asking about sequences?

As a general rule of thumb, firmware versions of controllers is not needed - unless troubleshooting a hardware specific problem.  Certainly not for sequencing.

More information is generally better than too little.  So often someone poorly describes a problem, so those of us that often help will ask a series of questions.  More often than you would imagine, the original poster will only answer part of the questions - and of course it will be something that they did not answer that was the key to the problem.  When asking about how to make some part of the software do some particular task, stating software version and license level is very important and make sure to state what application you are asking about - even when asking in a particular section.  For example, if asking a question about Pixel Editor in the Pixel Editor section of the forum, include the fact that you are asking about Pixel Editor in either the subject or the message.  Two reasons for this.  First is that people DO post in the wrong section regularly, and secondly, if people are looking at the listing of all messages in chronological order, it is very easy to not notice what section of the forum a particular message is posted in.  If asking about an issue that could be related to Windows, include what Windows version you are using (and anything else that could be related to that).  For example, there was some thread recently about something that was a really odd happening that looked to be operating system related.  After at least a dozen posts, the original person casually mentioned that he was using a Mac with some Windows emulation - that SHOULD have been in his first post as that could have a substantial bearing on the problem.