Light-O-Rama Forums
wicket82

Channel configuration

I’m sure this has been asked but can’t find it on the forums and have searched the software and can’t find it. In previous versions their was a Channel Configuratikm Window that would show the controller numbers and channels. You could delete entire controllers and unused channels from here. I used it all the time when I was changing downloaded sequences to fit my display and the sequence had a lot more controllers. Is that option in S5 anyway??

Also is there a way open and close the provide window?

1 more thing. Is there a way to make he channel names on the left side light up when I sequence is played?

Edited by wicket82

In S5, all channels are defined in by the preview. For bulk changes to channels, open Preview Design and select Item > Channel Summary.

13 minutes ago, wicket82 said:

Also is there a way open and close the provide window?

I assume that is a typo and that you mean the "player" window...  It can be hidden or restored using the Window menu.

15 minutes ago, wicket82 said:

1 more thing. Is there a way to make he channel names on the left side light up when I sequence is played?

No there is not. However, there is a zoomed playback feature where you can focus the playback on a certain prop. To use it: right-click on a prop name and select one of the playback options.

Matt

Didnt know about the channel summary, good information heading into a new preview. Thanks.

Thanks. I’ll check that out. Going to miss the channel names lighting up because I check sequences and timings a lot by that

Matt,

I'm sure it's me not knowing how to use S5 but I don't see where Zoom Playback does anything. I have to right click on 1 channel to to get the option for Zoom Playback but it does nothing when I click it. Not sure what it is supposed to do. It very well could be the computer I am on. It's an old computer running XP Pro (my Windows 10 computer won't run S5 at all). I am just trying to get familiar with S5 to know whether I need to wait for S5 to be released or just go ahead and upgrade to S4 after the Christmas show season. But seems like S5 took a lot of the features me and my wife use for sequences out (we use 3.8). 

Also do you have to keep clicking on Windows and then playback to get the preview window to open? Is there a shortcut on the toolbar like the animator is in S3?

When you select Zoom Playback > Play Visible (or one of the other play options), what gets shown in the playback window is zoomed in on the prop (or group) you selected. When you are focused on sequencing a particular display element, it makes it much easier to see (especially for larger displays).

4 hours ago, wicket82 said:

my Windows 10 computer won't run S5 at all

I'm surprised S5 won't play on your Windows 10 PC. Does it give an error message? Did you try uninstalling S4/S3 first?

But seems like S5 took a lot of the features me and my wife use for sequences out

I'm interested to know what those were. Post them here or PM me if you'd like.

Also do you have to keep clicking on Windows and then playback to get the preview window to open? Is there a shortcut on the toolbar like the animator is in S3?

We could add one. At the Pro level, the playback window is used to show the current motion effect, so it is assumed a Pro-level user would leave it open all of the time. But it could be automatically opened and closed during playback at other license levels.

Matt

One thing I’m missing is me and my wife are used to sequencing in the SE and once we finish part of a song, we open the animator and watch it. Then close it out, fix what needs to be fixed and then open it back and watch it. So I’m opening and closing animator a lot. And with S5, you have to click “Window” and then “Playback” every time. In S3 there is a button on the toolbar to open it up. My suggestion would be either put it as a shortcut  or give us the option to use the items we use all the time. Make the toolbar customizable. That could fix that. I want to see as much of the sequencing window as I can, so I keep the window closed all the time until I get ready to watch the show. 

That brings me to my next problem with S5. The channel names don’t light when playing a sequence. I sequence part of a song and play visible screen and watch the channel names light up. I can picture in my head what that is going to look like and there is no need for the preview (animator) when sequencing say the beat of the song for a few seconds. And the zoom playback doesn’t do what I need it to do. I like the channel names flashing. I actually use that a lot during my sequencing. And I sequence 3 different shows so I sequence year round. 

And something else you can’t see the lines in between the channel names. It’s almost impossible see where one channel name ends and one begins under it. And part of that could be the fact that they are written on a white background and grey like previous versions.

One more thing is when you move the Preview window around (I make it as big as I can get it on screen), it will snap back into the toolbar. Then I have to start over trying to resize it. get it the the size I want and try to move it around and it snaps back into place. It's just frustrating to me to keep dealing with that.

So I guess my best bet is just to stick with S3 and no pixels or S4 if I want to add a pixel tree. I know that stuff is minor and some people will just say I'm trying to complain about small things, but that is how I have sequenced since 2011.

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

6 hours ago, wicket82 said:

One thing I’m missing is me and my wife are used to sequencing in the SE and once we finish part of a song, we open the animator and watch it. Then close it out, fix what needs to be fixed and then open it back and watch it. So I’m opening and closing animator a lot. And with S5, you have to click “Window” and then “Playback” every time. In S3 there is a button on the toolbar to open it up. My suggestion would be either put it as a shortcut  or give us the option to use the items we use all the time. Make the toolbar customizable. That could fix that. I want to see as much of the sequencing window as I can, so I keep the window closed all the time until I get ready to watch the show. 

The old animator button will be added back to the toolbar in the next S5 beta release. It will toggle visibility of the playback window.

And something else you can’t see the lines in between the channel names. It’s almost impossible see where one channel name ends and one begins under it. And part of that could be the fact that they are written on a white background and grey like previous versions.

This will be much improved in the next beta release.

That brings me to my next problem with S5. The channel names don’t light when playing a sequence.

We are working on this. It won't be in the next beta release, but possibly the one after that.

One more thing is when you move the Preview window around (I make it as big as I can get it on screen), it will snap back into the toolbar. Then I have to start over trying to resize it. get it the the size I want and try to move it around and it snaps back into place. It's just frustrating to me to keep dealing with that.

That is something that will take some getting used to. S5 is more flexible - in that the playback window can be docked inside the main window, or it can be free floating. However, once you have it set, the program remembers the location so you don't need to adjust again.

Matt