Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

Maximum # of channels per network?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, is there a set number of channels, pixels, ports or however LOR lays it out of which is the maximum number we can use per network? I looked but didn't see anything. I have 8 controllers, all Pixies from LOR listed below and am wondering if I'm near my max being I am getting some lag. Mr.P was great in helping me with some suggestions that I will try but was wondering what the max is, thanks!

using

2 - pixie16s (one gen1 one gen2)

1 - pixie 8

5 - pixie 4's

so 60 port outputs, only using 47

my LOR config says - 

Number of Master Props: 36
Number of Sub-props: 0
Number of Hidden Props: 0
Number of Bulbs: 2,624
Number of Channels: 7,872
Number of Groups: 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny you asked this, I was going to ask the same thing tonight for different a reason. I am starting to work on an updated tutorial about how to add networks to an LOR show and wanted to know this info to help people decide whether or not they should add a network(s).

It seems with the popularity of Pixies, mainly the Pixie16 and the Pixcon16, those 2 controllers comprise a lot of channels and people have been having issues with networks and Pixies this year.

You may already know, but the way to figure out channels for smart RGB's is to count the the Leds, then times by 3 for RGB.
For example a Pixie16 with 16 strands of LEDs having 50 LEDs per strand would be 16 (strands) X 50 LED's (per strand) = 800 LEDs X 3 (RGB channels) = 2,400 channels.

A little history on networks, years ago before LOR introduced the 500K speed and Intensity Files, the general consensus seemed to be 900 channels per network, anything above that would/could cause lag depending on the level of sequencing commands. Obviously since the 500K speed and Intensity Files were introduced that number has gone up. I have researched it in the forums and have not been able to find the what is the limit of channel per network either.

When I bought my Pixie16 I was concerned about that many channels (2,400) per network. The help desk assured me 1 -  500K network would run a Pixie16 just fine and indeed it has. It would seem by your channel count that you have come close or passed the limit of channels per network. Since you are experiencing lag, and your channel count per your 1 network is so high, another network would help you.

In my setup I use 1 network for each Pixie16. I maybe able to run more channels per network, but this has worked for me. Between S5 Sequencer and Superstar I have a lot of sequencing commands being sent over the network to the Pixie16's. I not saying 2,400 channels is the limit, that is just what I go by. The RS485HS is only $31.95, so it easy and cheap to add a network to run the show from a PC. It also helps to establish a limit of channels you run, because editing props to new networks can be a pain later after the your sequencing is done.

Hopefully others will weigh in with their thoughts / experiences.

Alan...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming as shows grow we are able to run this all of a USB hub also? I have 2 ports on my laptop so once I add a second network I have no more ports left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brichi said:

I'm assuming as shows grow we are able to run this all of a USB hub also? I have 2 ports on my laptop so once I add a second network I have no more ports left

Yes, with a hub you can add more networks even with 2 USB ports on your PC.

(looking for post that I did, showing pics of how I have setup)

Alan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this thread, I posted pics and a general walk through of how to add a network. This is what I am working on as a tutorial (to clean it up a bit). Also a helpful reminder as you add networks, create a cheat sheet or notes about your setup, you'll will forget all this next year. :wacko: It really helps as your setup gets bigger and bigger. There is an example of what I do in this thread also.

Alan...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an email from the HD that tells me exactly how many pixels should be on a network. From my Halloween adventures. Let me look.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly why I decided a few years ago that I will not run pixels on the LOR network. my personal preference as Pixies and Pixcon were not released then. RS485 is great for distance but it is just too stinking slow and I did not want the headache trying to figure out what to put on what network to keep things running.

I currently run two networks, one LOR (RS485) and one E1.31, all my ac controllers and dumb RGB controllers go on the LOR nrtwork and all my pixels run on E1.31. I am running seven CTB16PC's and four CMB24D's on the LOR network and somewhere around 11,000 pixel channels on E1.31 with Falcon and Alphapix controllers. E1.31 has a much shorter distance but it is way faster so I have two 8 port switches stretched across the yard.

This works great for me without one bit of lag so this is one headache I don't have to worry about, at least for now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have an email from the HD that tells me exactly how many pixels should be on a network. From my Halloween adventures. Let me look.

There is no exact number.  On a DMX network there is a hard number, but not so on a LOR network.  It depends on how busy the channel commands are.  As Alan said earlier, back in the days of 115K speed and non enhanced networks, the general rule of thumb was six CCRs which is 900 channels on a single network.  I'm quite certain that you could write a sequence that would over-tax that, and you could also write a sequence that would allow far larger numbers of channels.  Since then we have seen network speed increase about 4X for 500K and 8X for 1000K networks and enhanced networking.  The only thing I have seen from LOR was a comment that at Christmas Expo a couple years ago, they were running 2400 pixels on a single network in their show display.

I'm like Mr. P, almost all of my pixels are on E1.31.  I have three LOR networks for Christmas - Regular is 56K non-enhanced and has exactly one Input Pup on it (can't use inputs on a non-enhanced network), AuxA is 115K enhanced and has two AC controllers and three 16 channel DC controllers, AuxB is 500K enhanced and has three CCP controllers and the only one that is not used year round.  The other 4,581 channels are on E1.31.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

There is no exact number.  On a DMX network there is a hard number, but not so on a LOR network.  It depends on how busy the channel commands are.  As Alan said earlier, back in the days of 115K speed and non enhanced networks, the general rule of thumb was six CCRs which is 900 channels on a single network.  I'm quite certain that you could write a sequence that would over-tax that, and you could also write a sequence that would allow far larger numbers of channels.  Since then we have seen network speed increase about 4X for 500K and 8X for 1000K networks and enhanced networking.  The only thing I have seen from LOR was a comment that at Christmas Expo a couple years ago, they were running 2400 pixels on a single network in their show display.

I'm like Mr. P, almost all of my pixels are on E1.31.  I have three LOR networks for Christmas - Regular is 56K non-enhanced and has exactly one Input Pup on it (can't use inputs on a non-enhanced network), AuxA is 115K enhanced and has two AC controllers and three 16 channel DC controllers, AuxB is 500K enhanced and has three CCP controllers and the only one that is not used year round.  The other 4,581 channels are on E1.31.

 

Ive looked high and low for the # of pixels per network advice I received from the LOR HD. Hotmail now combines emails and it is to difficult to open each string and each email within the string. That 2400 sounds about right. For some reason I had 2000 in my brain housing group. 

Couldn't search last night because right after I typed that another member was having issues so I assisted him.

JR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well it was easy to break mine up a little, I took the pixel sign and my upstairs windows (roughly 700 pixels) and moves them to another network being I had an extra high speed USB adapter, set both networks to 1000k (all LOR pixie controllers).   

 

hopefully tonight it all runs smooth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×