Light-O-Rama Forums

SS upgrade $100?

Dcroc

I want to update my SS from 4 ribbons to 16, because anything less makes no sense.  However, the $100 price tag on this seems a bit much.  16 strip tree is pretty standard equipment for most users, anymore.  Why would I not just use PE, and skip the extra cost?  Am I alone in my sticker shock?  I don't mind paying for an upgrade,  but it feels like this is a bit of an extreme price to upgrade just to do what is now considered a standard, every Joe is doing it,  task like a 16 strip tree.

7 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

I want to update my SS from 4 ribbons to 16, because anything less makes no sense.  However, the $100 price tag on this seems a bit much.  16 strip tree is pretty standard equipment for most users, anymore.  Why would I not just use PE, and skip the extra cost?  Am I alone in my sticker shock?  I don't mind paying for an upgrade,  but it feels like this is a bit of an extreme price to upgrade just to do what is now considered a standard, every Joe is doing it,  task like a 16 strip tree.

Just a few months ago there wasn't a 16 CCR so you would have had to get a 24 CCR license. Brian just recently added the 16 CCR due to the huge demand for the ribbon/pixel trees.

33 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

You could just use PE for your tree and get plenty of nice effects  ,but Superstar will give you more precise control of the effects you can create  totally different than PE.   I use PE for my 360 degree tree. But use SS.  For my CCR tree just my opinion .

The exorbitant costs of upgrades is what turned me off to continue to upgrade the light O Rama. 

I might still be using it if they didn't grossly overcharge for the software upgrades and they were able to keep up with the neewer Lighting Display options that are popping up. 

I explored a couple of the free options and found one that does absolutely everything that light O Rama can do plus more without draining funds from my wallet that could be used for display items. 

When I contemplated adding pixels I just jumped in head first in SS. At the time I couldn't figure out exactly what I needed so I just got the 60 ccr upgrade. EVen though I do not use it to its full ability (my ability) I do use it. I have produced 4 matrix sequences and can use all of the free pixel tree sequences I have received so in the long run it has already paid for itself. I also converted many tree sequences to fit mine.

In the beginning I couldn't even figure out how to set up the free software mentioned so I gave up. I understand it has gotten easier but I don't want to have to learn a new trick this far into the game.

Plus Brian B has never failed to contact me and fix any problems I have had along the way.

That's my perspective on the tag.

JR

• Like 1

I love the program.   However,  not sure I am into that $ amount just to upgrade to 16 strips, which at this point, should be just a small step up from basic entry level.   Not sure what I am going to do, yet.

Edited by Dcroc

48 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

I love the program.   However,  not sure I am into that $ amount just to upgrade to 16 strips, which at this point, should be just a small step up from basic entry level.   Not sure what I am going to do, yet.

Like the program and I'm with you it is pricey.  I got the 40CCR license and won't go any higher as spending $300 on software was difficult to pull the trigger on.  Now I just break my display up into individual props/visualizations up to the 6000 channel limit and then combine them in SE.

1 minute ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Like the program and I'm with you it is pricey.  I got the 40CCR license and won't go any higher as spending $300 on software was difficult to pull the trigger on.  Now I just break my display up into individual props/visualizations up to the 6000 channel limit and then combine them in SE.

I'm in the same boat but I won't go over 24CCR unless the prices come down. I just sequence my stuff seperately as well.

3 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

The exorbitant costs of upgrades is what turned me off to continue to upgrade the light O Rama. 

I might still be using it if they didn't grossly overcharge for the software upgrades and they were able to keep up with the neewer Lighting Display options that are popping up. 

I explored a couple of the free options and found one that does absolutely everything that light O Rama can do plus more without draining funds from my wallet that could be used for display items. 

What program do you use that can duplicate Superstar effects ?

7 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

C'mon now, everyone know the free software.  :D

X-lights ? That won't give superstar  effects.   Pixel editor  about the same 

Edited by Dennis Laff

I agree. Superstar pricing is way out of range. I dont mind paying for it but the levels of pricing just dont make sense anymore. 1 matrix alone can eat up a 60 CCR license. I hope LOR sees this sooner than later.

Edited by dougd
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dougd said:

I agree. Superstar pricing is way out of range. I dont mind paying for it but the levels of pricing just dont make sense anymore. 1 matrix alone can eat up a 60 CCR license. I hope LOR sees this sooner than later.

That’s a mega matrix

JR

My matrix this year is 84x30. That is the equivalent of 50 ccr's. Therefore a 60 ccr license would be needed. I dont sequence it in SS because I have the 40 ccr license.

2 minutes ago, dougd said:

My matrix this year is 84x30. That is the equivalent of 50 ccr's. Therefore a 60 ccr license would be needed. I dont sequence it in SS because I have the 40 ccr license.

I was contemplating doubling my matrix but I may use my extra tree frame for a 100X24 instead using the node strands for spacing.

That's a nice size matrix, do you mind sharing the spacing? On testing the 24X100 mine are .75" apart. My matrix and ccr tree are 120' from road but I still want the nodes closer.

JR

I inch spacing. I use it for my 4 singing faces. Each face is 30x20 pixels. I put a couple of videos on it. Have a few 24x50 sequences on it. It is viewed from about 60-70 feet away, so the videos look fairly decent.

7 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Last time I mentioned names here they threatened me with warning points.

Well... I had decided to go with the free software... It is very capable. Because I have 3 LOR controllers and my Mega Tree is the only pixels have I struggled with the upgrade costs. I had purchased a 2CCR license years ago to get familiar with SS.  I didn't do anything with it.

I finally got the free program working well and then could not get the scheduler to work at all.  So I did what any panic driven Christmas Lights person would do... I upgraded S4 to Pro from Advanced and upgraded 2CCRs to 24CCRs.  $220 later and now I have a problem.  2 of 3 SUP files exported using the new intensity method are not working correctly. One of them has no pixels lighting at all. The other one, the animation is blown out and weird looking. The 1st one is working fine.  All three work is the free program (they are purchased SUP files).  All have played fine in SS and the hardware has to be configured correctly as one of the files plays fine.

So, if I can get these files playing correctly I will think upgrade is still too expensive, but at least all is working. If I cannot figure out what is wrong, I will feel VERY disappointed and stupid for spending so much on an upgrade.

The ccr sequences you bought did you play them in SS first and  did  you set channel configuration and when you sent in intensity   File did you uncheck Maco. channels .

3 hours ago, zeighty said:

Well... I had decided to go with the free software... It is very capable. Because I have 3 LOR controllers and my Mega Tree is the only pixels have I struggled with the upgrade costs. I had purchased a 2CCR license years ago to get familiar with SS.  I didn't do anything with it.

I finally got the free program working well and then could not get the scheduler to work at all.  So I did what any panic driven Christmas Lights person would do... I upgraded S4 to Pro from Advanced and upgraded 2CCRs to 24CCRs.  $220 later and now I have a problem.  2 of 3 SUP files exported using the new intensity method are not working correctly. One of them has no pixels lighting at all. The other one, the animation is blown out and weird looking. The 1st one is working fine.  All three work is the free program (they are purchased SUP files).  All have played fine in SS and the hardware has to be configured correctly as one of the files plays fine.

So, if I can get these files playing correctly I will think upgrade is still too expensive, but at least all is working. If I cannot figure out what is wrong, I will feel VERY disappointed and stupid for spending so much on an upgrade.

Why don't you try the simple stuff first.

In SS did you set up your tree or matrix correctly? Under Layout and Configuration

1) Export in Legacy format without intensity or macro channels. If you forgot to turn off macro channels while copy paste you will have weird looking stuff happen and only 10 of 16 strings will light.

2) Sometimes during the downloads strange things happen, if all else fails scrap the first downloaded copy and re download from whatever site you purchased

3) Since you say the 1st one works I can only assume you have your configuration correct, otherwise they would all play the same

JR

Edited by dibblejr