Light-O-Rama Forums

2.0.16 Vu Wizard Issue

Dennis Cherry

I wanted to add a VU wizard section to one of my Track, I have a 6 second area I was trying to place the VU Wizard information

Let me explain how I was trying to do it. Could be operator error.

1. Moved to the area in the sequence to insert the VU Wizard information and set the play option for "Visible Screen"

2. Brought up VU Wizard.

3. Selected "Just Part of the Song" and entered the 0:45.0 to 0:51.0 into the boxes. Pushed the "Update" button.

4. Slected the "Peak Meter" Button.

5. The time in the Preview area remained showing the total time of the song.

6. Pushed the Preview "Start" button and it played the sequence for the visible screen area.

7. In the "What to do with the Peaks" area I selected the "Turn a channel on then off" option, then selected the channel 1 in the track I was using.

What happens is the VU Meter information is added to the channel starting at 0:45.0 seconds and the VU Meter information is added to the channel but it also overruns the selected area and wipes out any sequencing done on that channel to the end of the song. It does not add any VU Meter information past the 0:51.0 area just erases the information to the end of the song.

This Track is my LLA Track and I have some sequencing already timed for the arches, I just want to add the VU Meter effect to the arches for a portion of the song.

Is this a bug or did I not setup everything right?

Dennis,

I have never used the VU wizard. From my reading and intuition. You may want to try to create another track add the channels that you would like to control via the vu wizard information and then run the vu wizard.

Chuck

I've used the VU Wizard quite a few times, but I use it for the duration of the song, not for just a few seconds, so my experience doesn't exactly mirror yours. Although I think I did something very similar to what you described before I realized how it worked best for me. Using the VU Wizard on a track with pre-existing timings adds new timings on top of what's already there, which drives my eyes crazy. (Even if you only specify an action for a particluar channel, the timings will still occur in all the channels of that track.) If you specify a particular action for a particular channel, that will overwrite what's already there and if you work with many different channels at different sensitivity settings, the track becomes a timing nightmare. For me, it's easier to just create a duplicate track with the channels I want the VUW to time and then let it do it's thing.

I hope that helps a little. I can't speak for why anything outside the range of time you selected should be affected though. Someone smarter than me is going to have to chime in on that.

George

Thanks for the comments all.

Trying to create the VUW info in another track would seem to create another problem.

Would not trying to copy the additional timing and VUW sequence still change the original sequence information already in the channels?

The UPDATE buttons do not seem to work right if you have the option to just change a portion of the song, but it clears out everything else in that channel.

Guess my idea will not work, what I wanted to do is use my arches as a VU meter function for some fast sections of the songs and still be able to do the standard patterns where appropriate.

Dennis,

What you're wanting to do might not be as difficult as you think. I've done exactly the same thing you are wanting to do and this method worked excellently for me.

Of course, the first thing you need to do is save your existing sequence with a different name. This will become your "throwaway version". Then, create a new track in the throw away version that has just your arch. Run the VUW on that track. Then, delete all the events that the VUW has placed there except for those in the segment you want. Select that segment of time and copy both the timing and the events, and then paste them into that same time period in your original sequence.

Actually, it doesn't take all that long to accomplish. If there's an easier method, I'm all ears to learn it from someone, but my process worked well for me. IMHO the VU Wizard is an incredible tool, but it definitely takes a bit of practice to get the results you're after. Keep at it - it's worth it.

If you'd like to see some of what I've done with it, PM me and I'll send a sample.

George

This is a bug. Thank you for pointing it out. We will get it fixed.

You probably already know this, and it doesn't help now if you didn't, but just for future reference in case something like this happens again: The "undo" button can undo the mistaken change in one shot.

Sorry for the problem. Hope this didn't cause too much of a hassle.

• 8 months later...

bob wrote:

This is a bug. Thank you for pointing it out. We will get it fixed.

You probably already know this, and it doesn't help now if you didn't, but just for future reference in case something like this happens again: The "undo" button can undo the mistaken change in one shot.

Sorry for the problem. Hope this didn't cause too much of a hassle.

I'm wondering if there is still a bug in the latest version. (2.1.6) Here is what I've found:

On starting a new sequence, I laid down the first track using the tapping wizard. I then created another track of 16 channels to use the VU wizard for the voice in part of the song. I checkmarked for selection of only part of the song and entered the times for the selected area. I then used the default setting for peak detection and played back the selected portion of the song in order to place the peak transition marker to capture only the very peaks. The idea was to progressively place the marker farther to the left for each of the 16 channels so that the next channel is ON for a longer period of time. I have done this with another song and the process worked as described, however, in that sequence, it was done on the first and only track and it was done for the whole song. This time, I was entering the VU data on a second track and only for a portion of the song. Instead of placing the ON events for only the peaks, the wizard did the opposite and turned on everything below the peaks. As I progressively move the transition marker to the left so that the ON events should be longer, the data entered to the next channel results in the ON time being shorter and again it is everything below the peak transition marker. I also discovered that if I select the whole song instead of only a portion, it works as expected with only the peak areas turned ON.

Brad

No, it was fixed in version 2.1.2. What you're describing sounds like a different issue (if I'm understanding correctly - basically you're saying the VU Wizard inserted "offs" where it should have inserted "ons", and "ons" where it should have inserted "offs", right?).

I will take a look to see if I can make this happen.

Oh, but in the meantime, if it happens again, as a workaround you could fix it by applying the Toggle tool to the entire affected area (if I am understanding your description of the problem correctly).

bob wrote:

No, it was fixed in version 2.1.2. What you're describing sounds like a different issue (if I'm understanding correctly - basically you're saying the VU Wizard inserted "offs" where it should have inserted "ons", and "ons" where it should have inserted "offs", right?).

I will take a look to see if I can make this happen.

Yes, that is correct. I tried it again on a 3rd track and the same thing happened again. I then tried a new sequence from scratch with no entered events. I again selected only a portion for the VU wizard to enter events. This time the first 5 of 16 channels of data were entered correctly but the following ones were in reverse. The fact that it decided to change after 5 correctly entered channels was strange so I again tried another sequence from scratch. This time only the first channel entered correctly followed by 2 reversed, and the data entry for the 4th channel gave a "subscript out of range" error.

Brad

Yes, that is correct. I tried it again on a 3rd track and the same thing happened again. I then tried a new sequence from scratch with no entered events. I again selected only a portion for the VU wizard to enter events. This time the first 5 of 16 channels of data were entered correctly but the following ones were in reverse. The fact that it decided to change after 5 correctly entered channels was strange so I again tried another sequence from scratch. This time only the first channel entered correctly followed by 2 reversed, and the data entry for the 4th channel gave a "subscript out of range" error.

OK, this will be fixed, possibly in the next release, but if not, then almost certainly in the one after that. In the meantime:

This is actually two different issues. The one that you originally pointed out (cells that should be turned on are turned off, and vice versa) can be worked around as I described in my previous post.

The one that you additionally point out in this post ("subscript out of range") happens when it doesn't detect any threshold crosses during the selected interval. Other than the error message popping up annoyingly, it doesn't cause any problems, with the possible exception that you might have to manually turn on that entire time range for that channel.

Thanks for reporting these, and sorry for the hassle.

bob wrote:

OK, this will be fixed, possibly in the next release, but if not, then almost certainly in the one after that. In the meantime:

This is actually two different issues. The one that you originally pointed out (cells that should be turned on are turned off, and vice versa) can be worked around as I described in my previous post.

The one that you additionally point out in this post ("subscript out of range") happens when it doesn't detect any threshold crosses during the selected interval. Other than the error message popping up annoyingly, it doesn't cause any problems, with the possible exception that you might have to manually turn on that entire time range for that channel.

Thanks for reporting these, and sorry for the hassle.

Thanks for the quick response, Bob.

It was no hassle. With your suggestion, I was able to get done what I needed.

Brad