Light-O-Rama Forums

WiFi Issue / E1.31

BMurray

Here's one for the IT/Networking guys....

I use MIIP for my display so my WiFi needs to remain on. When I do a restart with my E1.31 network cables plugged in, the WiFi can't connect. I have to unplug the Ethernet cable and restart the computer for it to connect. Once the WiFi is connected I can plug the Ethernet cable back in and everything works like its supposed to. It didn't do this last year so I'm not sure what has changed. My Ethernet adapter is set to a static IP address and the WiFi adapter is set to "Obtain IP address Automatically". Any Ideas on what to check for?

Thanks in Advance,

Billy

Edited by BMurray

1 hour ago, BMurray said:

Here's one for the IT/Networking guys....

I use MIIP for my display so my WiFi needs to remain on. When I do a restart with my E1.31 network cables plugged in, the WiFi can't connect. I have to unplug the Ethernet cable and restart the computer for it to connect. Once the WiFi is connected I can plug the Ethernet cable back in and everything works like its supposed to. It didn't do this last year so I'm not sure what has changed. My Ethernet adapter is set to a static IP address and the WiFi adapter is set to "Obtain IP address Automatically". Any Ideas on what to check for?

Thanks in Advance,

Billy

Sounds like a Network Priority issue.   What OS?

You have probably have an application that is doing auto switching/preferring wired over wireless.   Some of these would be smart enough to give up on an interface that doesn't have Internet connectivity so it would eventually enable the wireless if you wait long enough.  Look at your system tray, you are likely looking for a vendor branded utility (e.g. Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc.) that is managing your network.  I'm not in front a Windows machine at the moment so I can't give more detailed suggestion.

arnold

You might want to consider separating your House network from the E1.31 lighting network. I installed a second network card solely for the lighting which is hardwired to the outside. Less than 20 bucks.

As far as I know, how I have it set up is separate. I've assigned a static IP address to the Ethernet adapter soley for my E1.31 netowrk. I run my show off a laptop. So I can't install a separate network card. 

Make sure that the IP assigned to the static network is outside the Wifi network range.    I.E. if you are DCHPing an address in the 192.168.1.x/24 network, then use the 192.168.2.x/24 network for your E1.31.   

If the ethernet card has an address in the same network as the Wifi network and is connected/active, the routing will get all jacked up (what network card do I send data to the internet out of?). 

Got if figured out after doing a bit of research. Under the WiFi adapter TCP/IPv4 advanced settings I set the "Interface Metric" to a lower number giving the WiFi a higher priority than the Ethernet. Basically a "first come first serve" setting I suppose. Now my WiFi connectivity works like its supposed to without having to unplug the Cat5 cable. Thanks to all that took the time to suggest things. 

• Like 1