Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights not working when using Hardware Utility Show Builder

griswoldjr

I am having difficulty getting the lights to work when creating a show with the Show Builder in the Hardware Utility. Only the music plays, no lights. I hit play in SE and nothing at all plays when hooking to my PC with the dongle. Control Lights is checked in SE.

I just purchased pixels this year and created 2 different networks, one for my pixel controller and one for my 3 AC controllers. If I test the lights in the HU they all play. I am able to play all the pixel lights in the PE program.

I used to use the mini director before I got the pixel controller. I created a show with the Simple Show Builder (minus the pixel lights) for the mini director. That has worked for years. I just bought a G3-MP3 Director so I can run the 2 networks. When I put that SD card in the G3-MP3 Director all of the lights work (except for the pixel lights, obviously).

From what I understand I have to create a show using the Show Builder in the HU since I now have 2 separate networks (56k and 500k). The old show for the mini director works just fine for the non-pixel lights which makes me think that everything is setup correctly. Need some ideas why I only hear the music and the lights don't work when creating a show in the HU.

Thanks

Jason

Pro license 4.3.24 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 12:30 PM, griswoldjr said:

I am having difficulty getting the lights to work when creating a show with the Show Builder in the Hardware Utility. Only the music plays, no lights. I hit play in SE and nothing at all plays when hooking to my PC with the dongle. Control Lights is checked in SE.

I just purchased pixels this year and created 2 different networks, one for my pixel controller and one for my 3 AC controllers. If I test the lights in the HU they all play. I am able to play all the pixel lights in the PE program.

I used to use the mini director before I got the pixel controller. I created a show with the Simple Show Builder (minus the pixel lights) for the mini director. That has worked for years. I just bought a G3-MP3 Director so I can run the 2 networks. When I put that SD card in the G3-MP3 Director all of the lights work (except for the pixel lights, obviously).

From what I understand I have to create a show using the Show Builder in the HU since I now have 2 separate networks (56k and 500k). The old show for the mini director works just fine for the non-pixel lights which makes me think that everything is setup correctly. Need some ideas why I only hear the music and the lights don't work when creating a show in the HU.

Thanks

Jason

Pro license 4.3.24 

This sounds like a network configuration issue. Just because the HU sees a port at a certain setting COM 4, COM 5 for example it does not mean that that is the port that your PC is actually using to send data. Ignore what the HU is telling you. Try this, open your device manager on your pc and open your port utility. Plug in your rs485 into the port that you're running your networks on one at a time. What port opens? If it's different than the COM  you've assigned then go to network preferences and change it, don't use the hardware utility at all. Label the 485 adapter that you used for each port for next year to avoid confusion in the future.

Condensed version:  I'm on windows 7.

Open control panel,

choose hardware and sound,

Under devices and printers choose device manager,

choose ports, notice what is listed before you plug any of your network cords in. When you plug in your first network it will show up with a COM # assigned to it here, use that COM # in your network configuration.

Do the same for you other network.

Make sure you actually plug into each physical port on your pc that plan to run each network from and do them one at a time. Try the lights afterwards.