Light-O-Rama Forums

False Feedback?

DisneyMatt10

So, kind of a question, but more of a rant. . . 

This year we have a had a great increase in traffic over last year. (Due to a lot more work on my behalf.) That being said, I noticed one of my friends on Facebook share the light show, and a LOT of the comments on it took me back a bit, and frustrated me. . . and they still have me frustrated.

In our show I don't use every light all the time. Anytime a light is on it has a beat, or a voice, or a sound... Or something that it is representing. So needless to say that makes points, and songs where the house isn't lit up the entire time, and just the props in the yard are doing things, or vice versa. . . 

So, I was going through these comments on said post and a LOT of the said "So disappointed. Half the lights weren't even working." ---- "Waste of time, most the lights don't work." --- "Awful show, waste of time, nothing works." --- "Lot's of lights don't work. They should just give up, clearly they don't know what they are doing." -- There were TONS of comments like this... it just has be so frustrated, and taken back.

Which I can understand where they are coming from (I guess) because the "major" light show in the area that has been doing this for 20+ years prefers the "quantity of quality" approach when it comes to programming. They take the "every light is always on all the time" which makes it look a bit like they just set the entire house to "twinkle" in the Sequence Editor and said "Yep, that works." 

So we have had a LOT of GREAT feedback, a LOT of comments saying how "everything is perfectly timed," and how "every light has it's own beat," and how "the lights really tell a story, instead of just a bunch of random flashing."

That being said, how do you get around negative feedback like this?? Because those people start telling their friends not to come because it's a "waste of time" or it "doesn't work right." When you know everything works right because every night you watch the entire loop of your show so you can make sure nothing is messed up. But once the negative word get's around... Obviously that will affect traffic. . . Sooo... Advice? :mellow:

Remember, a significant percentage probably don't even tune in their radios, or even spend enough time to associate the music to the lights. I don't do social media, don't advertise or desire any media attention, The show is what it is, take it or leave it. The fact that the lights are perfectly timed makes me smile, that's enough for me.

• Like 5

Some people are still rooted in the 60's, where we hung long strings of C9 and plugged them in from 5 to 9.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PhilMassey said:

Remember, a significant percentage probably don't even tune in their radios, or even spend enough time to associate the music to the lights.

This is so true. I saw a few comments that said "were you even suppose to tune your radio?" ---- Like how the heck did the miss all the signs saying "TUNE YOUR RADIO TO:" :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I don't do social media, don't advertise or desire any media attention, The show is what it is, take it or leave it.

I only do social media, but thankfully in such a small area the social media goes a long way!! However, you won't see me contacting local media outlets for news coverage or anything like that!! That's just a bit too much attention. :lol:

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

The fact that the lights are perfectly timed makes me smile, that's enough for me.

SAME!!! I LOVE sitting in my car when I get home from work and watching the show. The lights are perfectly timed, and that makes me smile! -- I guess I should stop worrying so much about what other people think of it, and just enjoy it for me and those who really appreciate the show! :)

Just now, TheDucks said:

Some people are still rooted in the 60's, where we hung long strings of C9 and plugged them in from 5 to 9.

:lol::lol: So sadly true. :lol::lol:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

.... That being said, how do you get around negative feedback like this?? ..... Sooo... Advice? :mellow:

Blow it off. Who freakin' cares? If you're like most of us, we do it for our family, friends and OURSLVES. So if you like it - done. Bamm.

Now with that said - none of us ever want to hear, "I liked last year's show better". That drives our mega anchors right through the heart.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mega Arch said:

Blow it off. Who freakin' cares? If you're like most of us, we do it for our family, friends and OURSLVES. So if you like it - done. Bamm.

Now with that said - none of us ever want to hear, "I liked last year's show better". That drives our mega anchors right through the heart.

Exactly, blow it off, There are some people who you can't satisfy no matter what you do, they will never be happy. Think of all the ones who you bring joy t as I bet the outnumber the Grinches 100 to 1.

John Lydgate - “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Blow it off. Who freakin' cares? If you're like most of us, we do it for our family, friends and OURSLVES. So if you. like it - done. Bamm.

This.  Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Plus some bad/negative comments might be from people who are "jealous" because they know that their displays pale in comparison to yours.

• Like 1

A lot of people will drive by and stop, look, then leave are the ones that did not see /or ignored the tune to sign. All they see is a lot of blinking lights. We have talked about this problem before and some have said "the only way you can get them to read the sign is to hit them between the eyes with a 2 x 4 and put it in their face".  I have 2 signs and still have the problem, so, as been said "blow it off" it's their loss.

We do ours for a three year old next door so as long as she is happy we are happy (everything else is gravy), I don't put a whole lotta stock into social media.  I have found over the years (and in particular after this election cycle) that half will love what your do and heap praise then the other half spends the rest of their lives picking it apart.  I tend to focus on those that love the show (or anything else I do) and ignore the others.  When I worked in retail we would have a saying about those folks "you could give them a 100% refund, buy them two of what they want (for free), and they would still complain".

• Like 1

usually the ones that complain are also the ones that don't have the common decency to dim their head lights while the show is running, you know - morons!! :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, caniac said:

usually the ones that complain are also the ones that don't have the common decency to dim their head lights while the show is running, you know - morons!! :)

Yeah those two brothers do get around....Mo and Ron.....sheesh!

Matt, if this is a YouTube video or on Facebook or the social media service you use, post on the account directly related to light show (i.e. "Light Show on Street Blvd") in the comments and simply explain the situation as you explained to us.

"Each light, when on or off, symbolizes a beat of music, has inherent meaning and is a part of the story. We program the lights ourselves to turn on at each beat of the song. I recommend you visit again, tune your car radio to "(your radio station)" and watch the lights dance magically to the songs. I'm sure it will bring a smile to your face. We try so very hard to make this an enjoyable experience for our community."

They may not understand the difference of your display or what makes you stand out... but give them a reason to want to come back and try again.

The theme for my display is that every year is different. We add something new to the experience that will only benefit the show and make people happy. Bringing families together to celebrate the holiday and create new memories is at the core of what we do. Remind these guests that's why we do what we do.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, TheDucks said:

Being from a farm community in central Alberta I have to say I know the feeling. While the younger generation really enjoy the animated display ( mainly because they know what it make it tick) the seniors on the other hand  just want to see a bunch of lights lit up. I am fortunate because as far as I know I'm the only one within 60 miles that has an animated display and this is the first time most people in our area have ever seen one. That being said if my timing is off a bit no one really  knows LOL.