Light-O-Rama Forums

Water proofing light plugs GIG trios

BCBjorklund

Hi!

At suggestions on how to find circuit that keeps tripping GFI? And a y suggestions on water lriifing plug ends?

Thanks!

Sorry you're having problems. To find the guilty strand(s), sorry - it's painful. You'll need to isolate via one controller on at a time until you find it. Then, one circuit at a time. Only way. UNLESS all the controllers are plugged into the same circuit. Then it could be accumulated leaking to ground. If so, you might not find the strand(s). So, break your controllers up to different circuits. 

Plug ends - I don't "seal" any with anything. Just elevate. Nothing is laying on the ground.

Good luck.

Remember a GFCI is measuring / tripping on current flows that are unbalanced on the normal 2 prongs.

Technically, you could dunk a 2 prong cord socket into a glass full of water and NOT trip (the glass insulates the water from ground).

OTOH a wet plug on a 3 prong socket cord end, could provide a leakage path, and as someone pointed out, this can accumulate across all outlets till you trip.

Controllers need to be high enough that splash does not reach the pigtail ends. (at least 18" AGL is typical for outdoor outlets) Those should hang straight down, so the body acts as an umbrella.

BTW examine the inside of the controller box after a trip. Is it all steamy inside. That will do it. Cure the water entrance issue.

My controllers(4) is powered by one source 30 amp GFCI all controllers are livated in a plastic bench in my covered porch.. no moisture. Total load is less than 30 amps

I will try the isolating but the tripping only occurs during heavy rain. Of course it is not raining today.

So it’s a 30amp GFCI breaker setup - that can be bad. As I said before, best to split it all up. Change out that GFCI breaker to a standard breaker. Then change the standard receps out to GFCI receps. Spreading out the leakage while still protecting people. 

• Like 1

I use 4 different GFCIs even though I can run my entire setup on one circuit (thanks to LEDs).  This eliminated my GFCI trips.  

arnold