Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I cut a 50 set of lights down?

racerc20

Can I cut a standard 50 count strand to 41, 26, 14, 10 and 8 light strands?  I just did a 35 set to 20 andam noticing they are a tad brighter than the whole set when plugged in.  I have the boscoyo 30 inch c9 bulbs and they are drilled for led/incan m5 sizing but the mouth movements and eyes are real small bulb counts.

Any help before I melt the thing down?

LOL

Thanks

Carl

7 minutes ago, racerc20 said:

Can I cut a standard 50 count strand to 41, 26, 14, 10 and 8 light strands?  I just did a 35 set to 20 andam noticing they are a tad brighter than the whole set when plugged in.  I have the boscoyo 30 inch c9 bulbs and they are drilled for led/incan m5 sizing but the mouth movements and eyes are real small bulb counts.

Any help before I melt the thing down?

LOL

Thanks

Carl

You need to add a resistor to make up for the missing LEDS.  apply ohms law  (you will need to know I (amps) of the original string)

(alternately (but NOT fool proof) Dim (limit) to the percentage of remaining bulbs.  The bulbs are not really dimmed at that percentage.  You really need  to use a kind of string that runs on the controllers output voltage.

What about a set of incandescent bulbs.  Those I have and are cheap if I  mess up.  Do I still need resistors ?  

CArl

43 minutes ago, racerc20 said:

What about a set of incandescent bulbs.  Those I have and are cheap if I  mess up.  Do I still need resistors ?  

CArl

Yes if they are series (1 wire in, one wire to next).  Real C7's can be any count since the bulbs are 120V.. Remeber, you are working with LIVE voltage connections. INSULATE any conductors very well

Bulbs/count= volts per bulb    (10 bulbs= 12V, 20 bulbs=6V...). typically, they use the next HIGHER standard voltage, not lower. longer life

i DID THE REVERSE. I converted 120V strings into 12V strings by cutting at the correct count. each string (and parallel up to the current capacity of the port) could be easily driven by an output on a CMB24

So there is going to be a problem cutting 8 or 10 or 14 or 26 lights out of a 50 lights set and putting a male plug on the end.  I Understand how to cut out the third wire and how to join the end of the run but it seems like with the small number of bulbs i need for certain face features i would need a resistor.  I trimmed a 35 light set to 20 is that going to be a problem?