Light-O-Rama Forums

UGH!!! Total ribbon tree failure

Mr. P

Opening night tonight and my 16 ribbon tree totally failed during the 18th song. Everything was running fine for about 90 minutes then the entire tree started to flicker and each ribbon one by one started to go dark, I couldn't believe it. Everything else is working fine so I will finish the show and I will be troubleshooting and rebuilding toorrow.  :huh:

BUMMER!!!

What type of ribbons and controller?  Did something happen when the failures started?

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Opening night tonight and my 16 ribbon tree totally failed during the 18th song. Everything was running fine for about 90 minutes then the entire tree started to flicker and each ribbon one by one started to go dark, I couldn't believe it. Everything else is working fine so I will finish the show and I will be troubleshooting and rebuilding toorrow.  :huh:

Had that happen to half my ribbons during Halloween, got HC to replace them because they were still under warranty.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

BUMMER!!!

What type of ribbons and controller?  Did something happen when the failures started?

Alphapix16 with two power supplies and ws2811 ribbons. Been in use the last four years and tested perfect the other day but only ran about six songs thru.

I unplugged it and kept the show going and will test in the morning. I have enough stuff to totally rebuild another tree if I have to.

That sucks!  Hope you can either get it working, or rebuild whatever needs it.  If I were to make a guess, my first shot would be the controller.

Good luck!

Now that you mention it... I just had one of my mini trees fail tonight. Like, these HC ribbons aren't that old, and this is their first season out. They shouldn't be failing already. 

Hope you got yours fixed.

10 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Now that you mention it... I just had one of my mini trees fail tonight. Like, these HC ribbons aren't that old, and this is their first season out. They shouldn't be failing already. 

Hope you got yours fixed.

Mine lasted 9 months but they did get replaced under warranty.  Have you check the fuses on the AlphaPix?  I had three go out last year, replaced and good to go.

*UPDATE*

Well I figured out what happened, the ribbons and fuses were good but the pixel controll chips blew. Each chip controls four channels so now I have to find where I can get replacements. The chips are long black rectangular chips with 16 pins and just pop out no soldering.

I had a backup 16 port controller so I wired in the backup controller and the tree is back up and running.

If the chips have part numbers, you can likely get replacements from either:

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/homepage

https://www.mouser.com/

Neither has a minimum, and shipping is unreasonable for small orders.

That would likely be easier than dealing with HC...

The big question is WHY did those chips blow?

I have no idea what happened. I was outside watching the entire first set play through, 24 songs, so I could see any discrepancies in my programming, you know little flashes here and that that aren't supposed to be there. When the 18 song was about half way through the entire tree started flashing and the ribbons started dropping like flies.

16 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I have no idea what happened. I was outside watching the entire first set play through, 24 songs, so I could see any discrepancies in my programming, you know little flashes here and that that aren't supposed to be there. When the 18 song was about half way through the entire tree started flashing and the ribbons started dropping like flies.

Check your Power supply voltage.  Now, before you blow a controller

21 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Check your Power supply voltage.  Now, before you blow a controller

I always check them both are 11.8 and 11.9v.

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

*UPDATE*

Well I figured out what happened, the ribbons and fuses were good but the pixel controll chips blew. Each chip controls four channels so now I have to find where I can get replacements. The chips are long black rectangular chips with 16 pins and just pop out no soldering.

I had a backup 16 port controller so I wired in the backup controller and the tree is back up and running.

Mr P... Contact Dave with HolidayCoro. He has them for sale on the site.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/625.htm

I ordered some about 6 months ago just to have some.

Edited by gsmith37064

20 hours ago, Mr. P said:

*UPDATE*

We ordered some of those from Holiday Coro and they were delivered in 2 days!! 

Hope you get what you are needing, but glad you found the issue and it isn't anything super major, or expensive!!

On December 2, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Mr. P said:

How to did you troubleshoot back to those chips?  One of my three alphapix16s just lost 4 outputs. I was able to reorganize one of my other 16s to handle the load but don't know why I lost those 4 ports.  All I could find is a mention that a shorted pixel string may cause those chips to blow. But those strings are running fine on the other controller for 4 days now so I don't think that is the cause...

I don't have any blown fuses, the power supply checks out ok, but I'm not sure how to test those chips, or should I just assume that is the issue?

20 minutes ago, whyintheworld said:

How to did you troubleshoot back to those chips?  One of my three alphapix16s just lost 4 outputs. I was able to reorganize one of my other 16s to handle the load but don't know why I lost those 4 ports.  All I could find is a mention that a shorted pixel string may cause those chips to blow. But those strings are running fine on the other controller for 4 days now so I don't think that is the cause...

I don't have any blown fuses, the power supply checks out ok, but I'm not sure how to test those chips, or should I just assume that is the issue?

Just swap the chip with another chip. Example: if the chip that controls channels 5-8 went out swap the chip for the one on channels 1-4 and see if 1-4 quits working and 5-8 starts working again.

On 12/2/2017 at 12:30 PM, k6ccc said:

If the chips have part numbers, you can likely get replacements from either:

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/homepage

https://www.mouser.com/

Neither has a minimum, and shipping is unreasonable for small orders.

That would likely be easier than dealing with HC...

The big question is WHY did those chips blow?

On 12/2/2017 at 2:49 PM, Mr. P said:

Yeah, the alphapix seems to be very fragile when it comes to those chips. I had an alphapix, and replacing those chips from HC got expensive with shipping and all. I finally did exactly what Jim said to do above, and got 8 or 10 at a fraction of what HC sells them for.  Just get the part number off the chip and search online for it. It was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember which outfit I got them from. I sold the spares with the controller, otherwise I'd give them to you. FWIW, I've never blown an output chip on any of my sandevice controllers.

--Mike

I found my source for those chips: They are Texas Instrument chips SN74HC245N. I got them from Jameco,   https://www.jameco.com/z/SN74HC245N-Texas-Instruments-Bus-Transceiver-Single-8-Channel-3-Straight-20-Pin-PDIP_251432.html . From Jameco they are only 35 cents per chip. From HC they are $4.99 per chip. The only hitch is that you need to order 10 from Jameco, but still way cheaper than HC.

-Mike

1 hour ago, greenie95125 said:

I found my source for those chips: They are Texas Instrument chips SN74HC245N. I got them from Jameco,   https://www.jameco.com/z/SN74HC245N-Texas-Instruments-Bus-Transceiver-Single-8-Channel-3-Straight-20-Pin-PDIP_251432.html . From Jameco they are only 35 cents per chip. From HC they are $4.99 per chip. The only hitch is that you need to order 10 from Jameco, but still way cheaper than HC.

-Mike

Nice thing about Jameco, is you can just pop in for a will call (just don't browse the display case ;) )

• The topic was locked