Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble with multiple controllers

Timbre

So this is my first year. I had two controllers set up and the show running eariler today. They were id 1 and id 2.

Tonight I added a third controller. I made sure before I put it in the system that I set it's id to 3

When I plugged it in the system and tried to detect it.. At first it came up as only finding 2 out of the three controllers but was listing one as a 8 channel instead of 16. When I ran a light test controller 1 and 3 seems to be linked and the same channel on each was lighting.

So I unplugged controller 3 and tried to get 1 and 2 to link back up. They just sit there with flashing lights. No matter what I try they won't connect now. 

Is there a specific order that the controllers need to be linked in? Is there a way to reset the other two controllers? Is there a way that the new #3 is somehow set to not allow any others to be connected? This is really frustrating tonight.

thanks in advance for help

The controllers can be linked in any order, they don' t need to be sequential. 

I would test each controller individually on its own, use a cable you know works and test one at a time, no others hooked up.  Confirm the hardware utility can find them and confirm the unit number on each when its found.  this will do 2 things

- check each controller and rule out an issue

- if each controller works on its own its very possible a cable issue

Edited by sticks4legs

So I have checked controller 1 and 2 so far. Controller 1 has one bad port so it will have to go at the end of the daisy chain. Controlelr 2 both ports are good. Now my issue is controller #3. it's a blue board and now it doesn't want to power on. I've got power to the board and both fuses are good.

I have to figure out a way to check my cables. I can't find my cable tester. Might just cut off the ends and crimp new ones on 

Just take the cable to the PC, and replace the cable your internet comes in on. If it works for internet it should work for LOR.

41 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Just take the cable to the PC, and replace the cable your internet comes in on. If it works for internet it should work for LOR.

actually, that is not a perfect test. the blue/white pair (4+5) used by LOR is not used for EIA 568

• The topic was locked