Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitting Songs

namecipS

So the wife asked and I didn't know the answer.  I know someone here does.

Do we have any liability exposure by replaying songs like Thunder by Imagine Dragons over our FM transmitters?  I'm using an open station in our area.  I also have purchased all of my music and can prove it.  

There are probably thousands of Christmas light displays playing copyrighted music.  Actually I'm playing that song in my lineup this year and haven't seen a cease and desist letter yet after 4 years of doing this and can't say I've ever heard of anyone having trouble.

In case you're interested in my version of Thunder on YouTube.

Thunder_Imagine Dragons

• Like 1

Like mentioned above, i doubt you will have any issue.....as long as you don't collect money

If you find legal jargon interesting Google "Fair Use Act"  

• Like 1

I had to set up my display different this year.  Before my FM transmitter was in a basement and had pretty good range.  This year it's outside and on a roof.  I am reaching out over 1.5 miles this year.  If there's gonna be trouble Ill let you know.  I don't know how to adjust the settings for lower signal strength.

1 hour ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I had to set up my display different this year.  Before my FM transmitter was in a basement and had pretty good range.  This year it's outside and on a roof.  I am reaching out over 1.5 miles this year.  If there's gonna be trouble Ill let you know.  I don't know how to adjust the settings for lower signal strength.

What transmitter are you using?

Why would you WANT to go 1.5mi unless you are a multi-block show?    

Mine goes probably .5 miles - much, much more than needed to hear it from anywhere the show is visible. 

On 12/1/2017 at 3:32 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

depending on what you are using to transmit there should be an output knob, set it to 25-30%.  If you are reaching out to over 1.5miles then you may end up with a visit from those guys in black vans wearing sunglasses.  THEY ARE NOT LATE TRICK OR TREATERS or so I have heard.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:48 PM, Mr. P said:

What transmitter are you using?

Its a Sainsonic AX-7c  It doesn't have an adjustment knob, just Hi output mode and low.  Low mode doesn't reach the sidewalk. 

https://www.sainsonic.com/products/sainsonic-ax-7c-fcc-tnc-amplifier-black

4 hours ago, jtomason said:

Why would you WANT to go 1.5mi unless you are a multi-block show?    

Mine goes probably .5 miles - much, much more than needed to hear it from anywhere the show is visible. 

I don't want it to go that far,  It could be a problem.  But there isn't an adjustment on it.   Just High and low.   But if I had to choose between too little or too much broadcasting signal I'm gonna take too much.  It's a very powerful antenna and easy to use for what I paid for it a few years ago which was 50.00

To change it from high power to low power push and hold the power button while you plug the unit in. You should then see a H or L on the screen then  use the up/down arrow buttons to change the power level.

Low power should go a couple hundred feet especially if it is on your roof.

Edited by Mr. P