Light-O-Rama Forums

Plugging in controller

HitTheLights

Can I plug both controller power plugs into a surge protector located near the controller or do I have to run 2 extension cords to an outlet?

Edited by HitTheLights

Yes.  I plug mine into a 3way tap and then run one cord to power.

As long as the amps are less than the circuit.  I use all leds and plug 6 controllers to one 20 amp outlet.

That depends on the amount and type of lights you have connected to your controller.  

If you have LEDs you should be fine.  Unless you plan to run hundreds of strings. 

With regular incandescent lights you are going to have to calculate the amount of amps they will draw.  An easy rule if thumb is that three strings of 100 incandescent mini-lights will draw one amp.  Once you have that calculation check the amp rating on the power strip.

One last thing with the power strip is that if you get rain there is a very high probability the GFCI will trip.  I'd suggest a three way plug (aka triple tap).  Less area to collect water.

(Too late.  I could have just said "ditto")

Edited by basis21b
Ditto comment
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HitTheLights said:

They're all LEDs...the 3 way tap sounds like a great option. 

Thank you both! 

Lowes had a sale on them last year after the Holidays, I got 30 of them at .25 cents each.  :)

6 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Lowes had a sale on them last year after the Holidays, I got 30 of them at .25 cents each.  :)

What ^^he^^ said.  You will always find a use for them.