Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you need help?

Mr. P

If you are having issues and need help please provide as much detailed information as possible about your setup. Please let us know the controllers, network, software version, license level and as much information as you can provide. Too many people asking questions like: I can't get my pixel tree to work, what am I doing wrong? Please Help.

If you provide all the detailed information to go along with that question I can give you a 99.9% guarantee that we will help you figure it out. One person on this forum may not know everything but between all of us we know it all.  :)

• Like 2

+1

As long as your logging on to ask for help, spend a few moments and update you LOR Software version and License level in your Forum user profile. It helps at a glance to understand what might be the problem.

Alan...

profile.gif

• Like 3

My question is how to set up a show after creating a sequence in pixel editor saving intensity file open sequence editor to where intensity file saved to test from sequence editor. Then after creating several sequences in pixel editor to save into sequence editor and then try to build a show using show editor and simple show builder open folder and its empty. But to open same folder in sequence editor I can select file and open it and every thing works . I have 16 CTB16PC'S and use 1-Alpha pix 16 controller and 2-Alpha pix 4,s. My light o rama licence is S4 pro edition. 

9 minutes ago, credawz said:

My question is how to set up a show after creating a sequence in pixel editor saving intensity file open sequence editor to where intensity file saved to test from sequence editor. Then after creating several sequences in pixel editor to save into sequence editor and then try to build a show using show editor and simple show builder open folder and its empty. But to open same folder in sequence editor I can select file and open it and every thing works . I have 16 CTB16PC'S and use 1-Alpha pix 16 controller and 2-Alpha pix 4,s. My light o rama licence is S4 pro edition. 

Silly question, but do you have "all files" option button selected on the dialog inside simple show editor.  Also consider using the regular Scheduler Editor instead of simple show editor in order to create a show and get it going.  It's almost as easy.

With Simple Show Builder the sequences MUST BE located in a specific file that you designated when installing S4.If you used the default locations when installing S4 then your .lms files must be located in Light-O-Rama/Sequences file or the SSB will never find them if you put them in another location.

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

With Simple Show Builder the sequences MUST BE located in a specific file that you designated when installing S4.If you used the default locations when installing S4 then your .lms files must be located in Light-O-Rama/Sequences file or the SSB will never find them if you put them in another location.

One of the major advantages of the Show Editor over the Simple Show Builder is that files can be anywhere.  This makes it far easier to deal with having been doing this for year.  For example, I have a directory for each holiday and year - so right now my show sequences are in "L:\Sequences\Christmas 2017".

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, Mr. P said:

If you are having issues and need help please provide as much detailed information as possible about your setup. Please let us know the controllers, network, software version, license level and as much information as you can provide. Too many people asking questions like: I can't get my pixel tree to work, what am I doing wrong? Please Help.

If you provide all the detailed information to go along with that question I can give you a 99.9% guarantee that we will help you figure it out. One person on this forum may not know everything but between all of us we know it all.  :)

We have 7 boxes total, all are blinking status but won't communicate to mp3 director now. Everything was working fine until we tried to connect the final box number 7, once we connected that one it started playing weird and not to sequence and freezing on certain channels. Now no boxes are communicating with the mp3 director and the mp3 director light stays red and does nothing. All of the cat5 cables are connected correctly have checked and rechecked connections and order of connections that part is right. I am stuck.

1 minute ago, A one doll said:

We have 7 boxes total, all are blinking status but won't communicate to mp3 director now. Everything was working fine until we tried to connect the final box number 7, once we connected that one it started playing weird and not to sequence and freezing on certain channels. Now no boxes are communicating with the mp3 director and the mp3 director light stays red and does nothing. All of the cat5 cables are connected correctly have checked and rechecked connections and order of connections that part is right. I am stuck.

Please be a bit more specific.  For example, they are not "boxes" but rather controllers that have a model number (1602W, CTB16, CTB16g3, CMB24D, CMB16D, etc), or type.  Although for this specific question, it MAY NOT matter, but for MANY of the newbee questions, it DOES matter.  Same thing with network configuration.  Network speed and type (enhanced vs non-enhanced) often makes a really big difference in the answers.  Same thing with the data source - computer vs director and WHICH director, and if using a PC, what Operating System and which RS-485 adapter, and if it's NOT a PC, what is it (MAC with some sort of Windows emulation or multi-boot are the most common).  What version of LOR software are you using (I see you have that in your profile - thank you), and license level.

In your case based on your limited information is that since it all worked until you plugged in controller 7, I would be be looking in detail at the connections on controller 6 AND 7, and the cable in between.  If you disconnect controller 7, do the rest start working again?

BTW, I'm not trying to pick on you in my first paragraph.  There are a number of us that really will help people with problems, but we're not mind readers.  In order to help we need to know what a person is trying to do, what equipment they are doing it with, and the symptoms are of the problem.  You are our eyes and ears, and the better you communicate what you see, the easier it is for us to help.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Please be a bit more specific.  For example, they are not "boxes" but rather controllers that have a model number (1602W, CTB16, CTB16g3, CMB24D, CMB16D, etc), or type.  Although for this specific question, it MAY NOT matter, but for MANY of the newbee questions, it DOES matter.  Same thing with network configuration.  Network speed and type (enhanced vs non-enhanced) often makes a really big difference in the answers.  Same thing with the data source - computer vs director and WHICH director, and if using a PC, what Operating System and which RS-485 adapter, and if it's NOT a PC, what is it (MAC with some sort of Windows emulation or multi-boot are the most common).  What version of LOR software are you using (I see you have that in your profile - thank you), and license level.

In your case based on your limited information is that since it all worked until you plugged in controller 7, I would be be looking in detail at the connections on controller 6 AND 7, and the cable in between.  If you disconnect controller 7, do the rest start working again?

BTW, I'm not trying to pick on you in my first paragraph.  There are a number of us that really will help people with problems, but we're not mind readers.  In order to help we need to know what a person is trying to do, what equipment they are doing it with, and the symptoms are of the problem.  You are our eyes and ears, and the better you communicate what you see, the easier it is for us to help.

I have 2 1602wg3 and 4 ctb16pc and I have the gen 3 mini director we disconnected controller no 7 and it still does not work.  I have the advanced license.

15 minutes ago, A one doll said:

I have 2 1602wg3 and 4 ctb16pc and I have the gen 3 mini director we disconnected controller no 7 and it still does not work.  I have the advanced license.

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

We are not using a computer we are using aump3g3 mini director to power the show, it is not the connections they are correct, I have checked and reconnected multiple times, I have started with just trying to use the first two controllers 1602wg3 and work forward but they do not work, they have power and a blinking green light that is all. Computer used in sequencing is win7x64 but as I said everything worked before we tried to hook up last box.

Simple stuff can be ugly. I use miniDirector technology too. The SD card brand makes a difference. Be sure it’s Kingston or Lexar - ONLY!!!

I had 5 "boxes" set up testing for summer in my backyard. 1-pixie16 (CCR tree), 1- pixie16&1-pixie 8 (matrix) and 2 CTB16g3 (singing faces). Prior to using my minidirector everything worked. (computer ran). Plugged in my old faithful mini director with PNY card. (nothing worked) exactly as you stated.

Pulled all of my hair out, spent 2 days troubleshooting, disconnecting, reconnecting, changing config. nadda.

Finally sucked up my pride and contacted the HD. Was told to try Kingsdon card. Thought to myself, what Ive been using the PNY cards without fail that surely wont matter. Wasted another day troubleshooting all things equal with every test I conducted the show would run on computer but not mini director.

Drove 1.5 hours to closest place that had a Kingston card. Got it home, wrote sequence, plopped card in and show started immediately.

I added pixels this year, that made the difference with the mini director and type of card.

JR

may have fixed the problem when I hooked up the mini director all of the boxes were still blinking green and I had random lights Coming on so I took two of my controllers down and reset the unit id on those and so far they were working,  today when I get off work I will try the rest and hook up one at a time. But why would the Ids change and they would not get connection from mini director? I am confused. Hopefully this will fix it. We did use the show builder in lor. I do have a Kingston card.

1 hour ago, A one doll said:

may have fixed the problem when I hooked up the mini director all of the boxes were still blinking green and I had random lights Coming on so I took two of my controllers down and reset the unit id on those and so far they were working,  today when I get off work I will try the rest and hook up one at a time. But why would the Ids change and they would not get connection from mini director? I am confused. Hopefully this will fix it. We did use the show builder in lor. I do have a Kingston card.

It depends on what units you are talking about. Some controllers have dip switches that from the factory are set to not allow you to change unit ID. You can manually change the unit ID in HU however when you exit HU the ID reverts back to unit #1

In order to change and save the unit ID on those controllers a certain dip switch needs to be turned off.

JR

3 hours ago, A one doll said:

Here is an over simplified, speculative answer.

On the board of the controllers is a microchip, in effect a tiny computer.  There can be times when the program running in the chip can get corrupted.  When that happens resetting the board clears that up.  Similar to what happens when you find Windows has stopped working and you need to reboot your personal computer. 

The problem could come from power surges or stray voltage/static electricity.  One possibility for stray voltage in a situation like this is a bad or shorted out socket on a controller.  I would suggest using the hardware utility to see if you can get solid communication on both jacks on the controller that was wired in last.  Check the controller previous to it to confirm all of the jacks are working.  You will at least eliminate the possibility they introduced the problem.  I would also check the boards to make sure some critter had not decided to take up residence.  

• 4 months later...

Im considering trying to build a rgb smart pixel tree. My plan is to purchase the pixie16 and purchase 16 strands of 100 pixels ws2811 from ray wu. My question is will the pixie16 work with any ws2811 pixels or is it only compatible with LOR products such as CCR?