Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 question

wensteve

I feel like this is something I probably should be able to figure out but I'm stuck.  I want my new Pixie 16 to only control the first 4 channels this year.  I have been struggling for weeks trying to figure out why when I play a sequence that nothing happens.  Today, I thought I would try and see if anything happens when I plug all the lights in to each channel and discovered that channel 9 and 10 are working and probably have been working all this time. I have my controller set to Unit 8 and set each prop after that Unit 9, 10, 11.  I've checked everything that I can think of but am stumped on why this would be happening. Any ideas?

I would first suggest getting out of the habit of calling each output of the Pixie a "channel".  It's an output or port, but may have hundreds of channels.  Calling that a "channel" can be confusing.

With that said, I want to clarify what you said.  You set the Pixie 16 to ID 08, which means that the 16 ports of the Pixie will have Unit IDs 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17 respectively.  You set each Prop to Units 09, 10, & 11.  Are these props lights that are controlled by the Pixie or other stuff?

In the dumb question department, are you SURE the Pixie 16 starting address is 08.  Since you said this is a new Pixie 16, I am guessing it is one of the ones that has DIP switches to set the Unit ID, as opposed to using the Hardware Utility (although you CAN set the switches to ID 00 and then use the HU to set the ID).

Sorry, Ports not channels. It is a brand new controller from LOR but there are no dip switches. I used HU to set the Unit to 8.  I spoke to JR today who advised me that the way I added the controller was incorrect.  I didn't add it in SE but rather went straight to PE and only added the 4 ports that I wanted to use.  He suggested that I add the devise in SE and then migrate it into PE.  I just did that but am still not able to get the correct ports to work.  I added props and called them Unit 8, 9, 0A, 0B. and pressed play and the only one working is port 10 which should be 0B. 

I would highly recommend that when adding controllers you add the entire controller and not just ports that you need. It is much easier to just leave the ports blank rather then try to configure things in the future when you need to use them. You should never delete controllers and adding the rest of the ports later can really screw up your sequencing.