Light-O-Rama Forums

**Noob Alert ** Need some guidance on pixel tree

deputy963

Hello all!

So, after several years of asking the wife if I could beg/borrow/build/steal an animated tree for the front yard she (probably against her better judgement) allowed my to purchase the LOR 6ft pixel tree. Yay me! Tree arrived yesterday and I connected everything in the house (she who must be obeyed was not happy) and found 2 strands that didn't work. Traced it back to 2 wires on channel 2 and 5 that weren't tightened in the connector. Tree is now installed outside (she who must be obeyed even helped) and tested. I've tried to play with Pixel Editor, sequence editor, and superstar sequencer, but to be honest I'm confused. Best I can do is use Hardware Pro to shimmer the lights, etc. I've even tried to play the samples in the installation folders with no luck.

I'm a visual learner, so what I would like to do is:

1. ask you fine folks for help, assistance, and guidance. I'm late to the game, and I'm trying to hit a base run on my first at bat!
  2. a better option might be to buy a sequence designed specifically for the pixel tree and reverse engineer the process, but I can't seem to find anything that is tree specific.

Any Ideas, suggestions, or will she who must be obeyed get the final work in the argument that will likely happen if I don't produce results! :)

Signed,

The guy in Indianapolis who has a sense of humor, but no previous experience. Otherwise known as Dave.

Is this the 16X25 tree?

Do you have a Superstar License?

What Controller did you get (pixie16 or Pixcon or?)

This can be easy or it can be hard, depends on time. Its crunch time for most of us but I always manage to squeeze a little extra time for new members/ new purchases.

With your UN I'm betting you didn't really want to steal it.

JR

Hello JR,

Thank you for taking a few moments to help. Much appreciated!

It is the 16x25 tree.

I opened Superstar and it shows Demo Mode. I did upgrade to the Pro license, but I'll buy Superstar if needed.

I believe it is a Pixie 8 - 8 total connections for 16x25 or 8 strips of 50 split each with a 4amp fuse.

Look on the controller to see if it’s a pixie 16.

I didn’t think they sold a 16 strand tree with an 8 Controller.

If you can afford SS upgrade you can convert 16x50 to 16x25 in 10 se onds

JR

I live in Plainfield, which is just west of the airport.  I'm not sure exactly what your asking.  Do you want to program the lights or just play sequences?  To program the lights, then Superstar Sequencer is where you'd want to do that (you can do it with pixel editor, I'm told, but SS is easier for me).  I'm not sure how many 16x25 sequences are out there as my pixel tree is 16x50.  I can tell you that you'll soon be catching the "bug". ha!  Welcome!

On November 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM, dibblejr said:

Look on the controller to see if it’s a pixie 16.

I didn’t think they sold a 16 strand tree with an 8 Controller.

If you can afford SS upgrade you can convert 16x50 to 16x25 in 10 se onds

JR

JR I'm wondering what the sequence looks like when you convert the 16/50 ccr sequence to the lor 16/25 tree , the ccr tree is 180 degrees  or flat and the 16/25 tree lor sells is 360 degrees or round  I believe it would only look good if the 16/25 tree is a180 degree tree ?

I also bought one of these trees.  I have attached a visualization file  that you should find helpful.  I have also copied the body of an email with instructions from Brian Bruderer.  I think he is the creator of the Superstar Add-on.    If you PM me your email I will send you some superstar files to try and work the issue backwards

A Light-O-Rama help desk staff member has replied to your request, with the following response:

It sounds like you have a Pixie Controller controlling the strings on your 16x25 tree. With Pixie controllers, you assign one unit ID to the controller using the Hardware Utility and then the controller uses that unit ID for the first string and it automatically uses the consecutive unit IDs after that for the rest of the strings. So the Pixel Editor is doing the correct thing to assign separate unit IDs to each string.

It is indeed confusing to have 3 programs to deal with in S4. For this reason, in S5 there is only "The Sequencer" and "SuperStar" and you create the Preview in the sequencer and then SuperStar uses the same Preview, so you don't have to deal with using a visualization for superstar. However, S5 is still in beta, so for now we will deal with how to use S4.

As you mentioned, you had to make a preview of your lights in the Pixel Editor. I am not an expert on the Pixel Editor, but one issue you may face is that the S4 Pixel Editor assumes that your first string is in the back/center of the tree. Yet the visualizer gives you the option of starting the first string on the left or right, but it does not allow you to start it in the back/center.

However, the Pixel Editor allows the import of a visualization. So a better approach is to make the visualization, and then import it into the Pixel Editor.

Attached is a visualization of a 16x25 Tree with the first string on the left, and then the strings go counter-clockwise. To make this tree I went into the Tree Wizard and selected:
Type of Tree:  360   Counterclockwise
First Bundle Location:  Left
Type of Channel Bundles / Fixtures:  CCR Edge to Center/Center to Edge
Pixels per Bundle:  25
Number of Bundles / Fixtures:  16
Density: 1

Click on OK, then a dialog box will appear with 3 options, accept the default which is the top option.

On the right will be a list of Props, double click on the prop you just created.

In the Prop Properties dialog box click on the "wizards" tab. Use the channel wizard to assign the unit ID to each strand of the tree. Strand 1 and 2 are on the same string so they both get the same unit ID. Strand 3 and 4 are on the same string so they both get the same unit ID, etc.

Save the visualization.

launch superstar, click on the File menu and select "Import Visualization"
In the "import visualization" dialog box select:
Sequencing Grid max length: 25
  Vertical, wrap around
leave the other settings alone
click on Ok
the green sequencing grid should have a 16x25 grid on the left, and a 16x25 grid on the right. This is because you are in wrap around mode. Wrap around mode makes it easy to do spiral effects on your 360 degree tree.

Now if you want to use the pixel editor you can use the preview you created, but the first string may not be in the same place as the visualization. But for many of the pixel editor effects that won't matter.

The other option is to import the visualization into the pixel editor.

I realize all of this is more complicated than it should be (in S5 it is much simpler) but its what we have to do for now.

16X25 Pixel Tree.lee

4 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

JR I'm wondering what the sequence looks like when you convert the 16/50 ccr sequence to the lor 16/25 tree , the ccr tree is 180 degrees  or flat and the 16/25 tree lor sells is 360 degrees or round  I believe it would only look good if the 16/25 tree is a180 degree tree ?

It looked really good on SS vis. I sent the sequence to the OP maybe he can let us all know. I can tell you that the test I did on my tree and matrix looked spot on. Some of the images are not exactly in the center but that's something most of us can live with.

JR

I'm sorry everyone for the delay. It's been a rough few days at work this week. I'll get back at this today and see where I can go with the help provided so far.

Thank you everyone for your time and help. I'll provide an update soon!

5 hours ago, deputy963 said:

I'm sorry everyone for the delay. It's been a rough few days at work this week. I'll get back at this today and see where I can go with the help provided so far.

Thank you everyone for your time and help. I'll provide an update soon!

If you can let us know how that sequenced I reduced looks in be actual tree would be great.

Thank

JR

Deputy963,

I have the same setup and have been racking my brains out. I too can get solid, shimmer and twinkle from only the Hardware Utility. I have managed a test sequence, but it only lights one output only four bottom lights. 

What am I missing????

Edited by jkrezdorn

It is the Pixie 8 controller. One controller. 

I bought the 

Pixel Tree Kit 16x25

Gen 3 min director ( Have not even opened that yet as I am trying all from Laptop)

Pro software.

Edited by jkrezdorn

2 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

So what is your problem ?

2 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

So what is your problem ?

I can get solid, shimmer and twinkle on the entire tree from only the Hardware Utility. I have managed a test sequence, but it only lights one output only four bottom lights. 

Edited by jkrezdorn

If the lights only work from the hardware utility then you don't have your channels right in the sequence editor  can you  show your IDs and channel layout

19 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

If the lights only work from the hardware utility then you don't have your channels right in the sequence editor  can you  show your IDs and channel layout

Well I got all to work but only via Pixel Editor/ Effect generator  I have tried saving with no luck. I decided to try and purchase Star sequencer. I was able to export to PI but I cant get it into scheduler now. Wow this seems like it should be easy, but must be way over my head. Effect generator creates really cool effects on the lights on the tree outside. I just can figure out how to use or save it.

Edited by jkrezdorn

You have to open a sequence.  If you don't have any yet.   Open sequence editor open new musical sequence use the song you want to sequence. You have to enter all your channels in sequence editor for all your controllers.  Now save this sequence as it will create a sequence.   Now open Pixel editor .  And now open the sequence you just made in SE.  Now add your effects to the sequence playing in the pixel editor when your done adding effects click on save intensity file and effects will be added to sequence

• Thanks 1