Light-O-Rama Forums

Sealing the female socket of lawn decor

Speedster

Last night the GFCI breaker tripped several times during a light rain because I didn't realize that the female socket of some of the candy canes was actually face down into the grass with a few of them actually touching the soil.  In addition to repositioning them upright and zip-tying them to the candy canes, I'll put plastic plugs in them.  But before plugging them, I want to also seal them to lessen the chance of water getting inside the socket.  Is there some kind of sealant that is safe to use for this purpose?

I didn't have this problem before when I used a non-LOR system because almost everything was daisy-chained together.  But now everything is separate, so the female sockets aren't being used.

Edited by Speedster

I went to my local OSH (hardware store) and bought a 24 pack of those Baby-proof Outlet protectors (needed if you don't have the newer TR outlets and have smalls)

The ones I got, gad a dome grip (I already had some flat ones from a outlet strip kit).

My main intent was to keep water out and reduce Rust-out of cheap plugs.  Another Item I tried this rear is plug gaskets. I just don't know why they are so expen$ive.

https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Gaskets-Outdoor-Electrical-Connections/dp/B00ZE3FP6C/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_0?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZE3FP6C&pd_rd_r=QVTB2VFXY9TETPWSDTA6&pd_rd_w=vlxYC&pd_rd_wg=JBIdx&psc=1&refRID=JWGQDAC1GA0CJNBNYYB4

Buy a bigger than 5 pack, it is amazing how fast 5 get used.  Also watch when disconnecting and be sure to push them back onthe prongs. The try and cling to both plug and otlet.

Bagging them does not allow water to get out when it does get in. I tried that and nothing but problems. I just use Dielectric grease and make sure the plug is not in water. No issues with GFCI now.

Tom

1 minute ago, Speedster said:

Wow, those plug gaskets are a bit too pricey for me at the moment since I'd probably need a pack of 100.  But if I just use the baby-proof outlet protectors, will that be good enough to prevent rain & snow from tripping the GFCI breaker?

I don't know.  The thing, I  am attempting, is just to Shed as much water as possible.  Keeping out of puddles is still required as those plugs are full of openings (fuse access is one)

BTW I mainly use these gaskets  on the Controller (or PSU) power plugs and their feed cords.

I think what I'll do is use those plastic baby-proof outlet protectors, but will also put a thin bead of silicon around the outer perimeter of the female socket before capping it with the plug. Basically creating my own "gasket" lol.

15 minutes ago, caniac said:

I use waterproof electricians tape.

Do you use that on both the unused female sockets, and the connections to the extension cords?

21 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Do you use that on both the unused female sockets, and the connections to the extension cords?

yep, seems to be extra sticky and so far has survived rain and snow.  It's tedious but it does work.

14 minutes ago, caniac said:

yep, seems to be extra sticky and so far has survived rain and snow.  It's tedious but it does work.

Definitely sounds like a lot of work, but would be worth it if I can prevent GFCI breaker trips like last night from happening again.  Nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot at night in the middle of a rainstorm or when there's already a foot of snow on the ground!

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

Definitely sounds like a lot of work, but would be worth it if I can prevent GFCI breaker trips like last night from happening again.  Nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot at night in the middle of a rainstorm or when there's already a foot of snow on the ground!

IMHO if your show is melting snow, those connections are overloaded.

27 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

IMHO if your show is melting snow, those connections are overloaded.

That probably won't happen this year since I'm spreading approximately 800 watts worth of lights/decor over 48 channels.  But I'll definitely be more mindful as my show expands over the years.

I use the Rubber Mastic Electrical Tape from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/elecrical%20tape%20waterproof?NCNI-5

I just cut it into short pieces approximately 0.5 inches long and seal it over the exposed female ends.  I can usually seal about 240 plugs per roll.  I started with the ones that are close to the ground and over the last couple of years I have been adding it all over.  I usually go through about a roll a season.  If you press it on, it really seals well.  I have noticed the number of GFCI trips has reduced year over year since I started doing this.

Good Luck

John

I have never sealed the female ends, and have never had any trouble.  Only water issue I have in on my candy cane spinners.  The rain gets in the bottom end of the ones that are upside down, and builds up in the bottom (top).  That will blow the fuse in the candy cane lights, but has never tripped a breaker.  I do not state this as an argument that one doesn't have to be careful of these things.  I only state that, so far,  I have been lucky.

Last Christmas I jinxed myself when I stated my tomato cage mini trees never tripped my breakers. Two days later monsoons and the breaker for the mini trees kept tripping. I just dealt with it since the rest of Show worked.

During lightbrain thete were no problems. 

JR

40 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Only water issue I have in on my candy cane spinners.  The rain gets in the bottom end of the ones that are upside down, and builds up in the bottom (top).  That will blow the fuse in the candy cane lights, but has never tripped a breaker.  

For that very reason, I drilled four or so 1/8" holes in all the candy canes that are less than level on both my spinners. Just go slow so as not to hit the wires or lamps.

22 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

For that very reason, I drilled four or so 1/8" holes in all the candy canes that are less than level on both my spinners. Just go slow so as not to hit the wires or lamps.

Yup,  thought of that while trying to get asleep last night, and worrying about the weather today.  I thought about sealing the ends up,  but was a bit worried about heat from the lights warping the cane if it had no vent.

2 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Yup,  thought of that while trying to get asleep last night, and worrying about the weather today.  I thought about sealing the ends up,  but was a bit worried about heat from the lights warping the cane if it had no vent.

The reason I don't seal the open female cord ends is the same reason I don't seal my candy cane ends. Lving in Oklahoma, even if it doesn't rain, snow, sleet, ice - which it does all that - but we have a freakin humidity issue year round. Must have a means for the moisture to get out. Period. I don't seal anything - just elevate from the ground. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

The reason I don't seal the open female cord ends is the same reason I don't seal my candy cane ends. Lving in Oklahoma, even if it doesn't rain, snow, sleet, ice - which it does all that - but we have a freakin humidity issue year round. Must have a means for the moisture to get out. Period. I don't seal anything - just elevate from the ground. 

Yup,  I have always heard that sealing them only seals the moisture in.  It doesn't really prevent it from getting in.....just from getting out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcroc said:

I have never sealed the female ends, and have never had any trouble.  Only water issue I have in on my candy cane spinners.  The rain gets in the bottom end of the ones that are upside down, and builds up in the bottom (top).  That will blow the fuse in the candy cane lights, but has never tripped a breaker.  I do not state this as an argument that one doesn't have to be careful of these things.  I only state that, so far,  I have been lucky.

Wow, I was just about to ask what people did for those on the bottom.

I had a few (that fit) of something similar to these https://www.stockcap.com/store/short-caps.html

now all I need to find is a small quantity, affordable, source Red and White  (The bins at the local home stores are always out of the sizes of things like this, that I want :( )