Light-O-Rama Forums

hdpe

notredameforlife

53 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It is just too much of a coincidence that at least 3 people here in just this one forum have mentioned they were quoted low shipping cost and then charged a lot more. 

Make that 4 :angry:

I’ll let you in on a little secret.

McMastet Carr has been in business a long time.

The size of the tubing alone, along with various other things will dictate shipping cost.

Things like cost of fuel ect.

Just be thankful you can buy from them at all because back 20 years ago you had to have a business tax excemltion to buy from them. Not open to public.

JR

• Like 2

Mine came on a freight truck so big it couldn't get down my street and deliver to me at curbside.  I got four 9.5' sections, they were bundled together but not packaged in any way.   The shipping charge stung, but I figured that they must have paid a lot more than going with UPS.... 

Although I have never bought plastic from McMaster Carr, makes me glad that they are about 15 miles away from home...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I’ll let you in on a little secret.

McMastet Carr has been in business a long time.

The size of the tubing alone, along with various other things will dictate shipping cost.

Things like cost of fuel ect.

Just be thankful you can buy from them at all because back 20 years ago you had to have a business tax excemltion to buy from them. Not open to public.

JR

JR, all good points.  I don't disagree.  Just saying that several people are quoted very low shipping and then charged a lot more.   It isn't just a typo in the email as they claim.  I know a lot of companies that have been in business a long time, but they still get in trouble with bad business practices.  ;)

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Although I have never bought plastic from McMaster Carr, makes me glad that they are about 15 miles away from home...

maybe everyone should get shipping charges from Jim.

:lol:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Okay, I'll hack their website and put Jim as the POC for shipping on there.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and taking one for the home team Jim. :lol:

You should be receiving my next order through email soon. B):ph34r:

Shipping may not be too bad, but my $500.00 handling charge per item might pay for my improvements for next year :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thebug said:

This is clear, not translucent white - would not have the same effect. 

8 hours ago, Thebug said:

Would this work instead???? What diameter pipe are you using? Because these guys have 100ft tools up 10 1.5in 

https://www.usplastic.com/mobile/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23758

They don't have the same diameters as the product that I think most of us are ordering - 2" OD, 1 3/4" ID - and they only sell 100' rolls.  If you were making 10 arches, that might be worthwhile if the diameters didn't bother you.   

I didn't bother creating an account to see what the shipping cost would be for a 100' roll.