Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid stoopid question

oilmoney

When my last display was up ( 2015 ) I had 12 10w floods pointed at the street, they really popped and were bright. I was running some version of S3. I upgraded to S4 and added another 16 floods pointed outward and when I seen them in action it was blah. I am running S4 but still using the old way in SE instead of intensity files. By some chance of me switching to S4 and not using intensity files am I not utilizing the full potential of my lights? In the sequence it still shows that the intensity is set at 100% on the lights but they just seem so much dimmer now. Am I loosing my mind? I said it was a stoopid question...

Edited by oilmoney

Answer could be many things but I dont think it is the software, Questions back, Are they the same brand of floods? power supplies? 

First I would look at power and type of LED Floods they are. But then again you could just have too many floods out now, meaning now that you have so many floods that the colors blah together. 

This brings us to the term that sometimes LESS IS MORE.  Not knowing the size of your yard/stage I would look at the over abundance of lights. When just having 12 floods, colors were popping, bright and vibrant but then add another 16 to that mix and the colors seem blah, dimm and just simply plain.  Give you an example, Take a blue crayon and just put 1 line down, nice blue color huh? now on that same line mark it 4 more times, a little darker but still a nice color of blue. now do it 7 more times on the same line, darker yet but you still see the blue. now do it 16 more times and see what you get, kinda blah and almost to dark to see the blue. Im sure you see where im going with this. So again not knowing how large your canvas is I would first look at power consumption then I would look at how much is too much.  12 looked bright and popping so try adding just 4 more and see what you get, then 4 more and so on until you get the balance your looking for. Again not knowing the size but just by what you say I cant see you adding more then 10 more and even just 8 out of the 16 should do ya, Also remember Location, location, location. Mix em up, some on the roof , some on the ground OH wait , Heres a prop for ya, leave the 12 where they were and the new 16 floods have 2 8 flood RGB fire sticks. Just a thought.

I know this was a long reply but I hope it helps.

1 hour ago, oilmoney said:

I said it was a stoopid question...

Oh and one more thing. The dumbest question is the one never asked!!!!!!!!   If we never ask, we never learn.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Mr Grunts said:

Answer could be many things but I dont think it is the software, Questions back, Are they the same brand of floods? power supplies? 

First I would look at power and type of LED Floods they are. But then again you could just have too many floods out now, meaning now that you have so many floods that the colors blah together. 

This brings us to the term that sometimes LESS IS MORE.  Not knowing the size of your yard/stage I would look at the over abundance of lights. When just having 12 floods, colors were popping, bright and vibrant but then add another 16 to that mix and the colors seem blah, dimm and just simply plain.  Give you an example, Take a blue crayon and just put 1 line down, nice blue color huh? now on that same line mark it 4 more times, a little darker but still a nice color of blue. now do it 7 more times on the same line, darker yet but you still see the blue. now do it 16 more times and see what you get, kinda blah and almost to dark to see the blue. Im sure you see where im going with this. So again not knowing how large your canvas is I would first look at power consumption then I would look at how much is too much.  12 looked bright and popping so try adding just 4 more and see what you get, then 4 more and so on until you get the balance your looking for. Again not knowing the size but just by what you say I cant see you adding more then 10 more and even just 8 out of the 16 should do ya, Also remember Location, location, location. Mix em up, some on the roof , some on the ground OH wait , Heres a prop for ya, leave the 12 where they were and the new 16 floods have 2 8 flood RGB fire sticks. Just a thought.

I know this was a long reply but I hope it helps.

It's all identical 10w floods from LOR, same power supplies, controllers, everything. I was just checking to make sure that there wasn't a box unchecked or something that was creating conflicting data or inputs. You know me too well, I made them into 4, 4 flood firesticks lol!

19 hours ago, oilmoney said:

It's all identical 10w floods from LOR, same power supplies, controllers, everything. I was just checking to make sure that there wasn't a box unchecked or something that was creating conflicting data or inputs. You know me too well, I made them into 4, 4 flood firesticks lol!

This is awesome, I am one that likes to stay with the same manufacture when it comes to equipment. No I dont think it is the software or anything you did wrong. I love firesticks, arches, light bars or anything I can run, lol. What did you do with your first 12 floods? 

Were they just on the ground pointed at the street in a line, scattered, or all of them in 4ch firesticks also? reason I ask is I admit , I too am now curious why they would seem dimm if yet the same.

Are these sharing Extension cords?

Switch mode power supplied draw power off the top of the sine wave (replenishes the input caps).

'Popping', will have all grabbing power at the same time. The cords will drop voltage during the cycle.

Also, hitting them enough times in a row, and the supply will drop out of regulation (low).

• The topic was locked