Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding Video Projector

beckanator

Greetings all,

I have the latest PRO level of the software suite.  I've created several sequences in the Sequence Editor (SE) that have video files (WMV) associated with the video that I have triggered to play when the software plays the sequence.  I have a desktop pc that I have done the initial sequencing in. It has two monitors, so I can get the sequence based on the video to work/display properly.  I've chosen the second monitor I have in that setup to display the video on it  (as it prompts in the SE software, after setting video preferences).  I then just copy my sequences and audio/video files over to a new laptop that I want to dedicate to running my show. 

My issue is with the new laptop, which has an HDMI output that I am running into a "short throw" projector.  When I start the sequence, with the video file, the sequence plays, audio and all.  However, the video does not project to the projector.  I checked "video preferences" in the SE and it's selected yet the video does not automatically display on the projector. Before creating a number of sequences, using a video which I've edited in other software, I'm hoping to resolve this.

I've looked everywhere but in the .pdf handbook and there is very little support. I found one video online that explained how to add video, but it didn't discuss or show how to set it up. I've noticed several posters in the forum that say they have video sequences in their shows, but again the explanation of how to do it off the laptop running one's show, I haven't found. So I'm throwing my issue out to see if I can find some help and answers from others who have incorporated video into their sequencing.

Thank you in advance!  

BeckSetup.jpg

Edited by beckanator
type

Yes, both video and audio. I have an edited file that I did in video editing program and exported the file. I'm assuming MP4 works?? as it does play, however, I can export into numerous formats.

Thanks for the quick response by the way!

Edited by beckanator
typo

2 hours ago, beckanator said:

My issue is with the new laptop, which has an HDMI output that I am running into a "short throw" projector.  When I start the sequence, with the video file, the sequence plays, audio and all.  However, the video does not project to the projector.  I checked "video preferences" in the SE and it's selected yet the video does not automatically display on the projector. Before creating a number of sequences, using a video which I've edited in other software, I'm hoping to resolve this.

I'm thinking I understand your issue, have you set the laptop to show it's output to the projector?

Alan...

Hi Alan,

Yes, the laptop sees it and the display setting on the laptop is "identical." I've tried "extend, etc." but no difference. BTW, I've been trying this just from running in the SE, but am going to make a scheduled test show with just the one animation and try that.

Thank you guys for your help! 

I'll add, when creating the sequence on my desktop pc, I selected the main monitor and it plays. I've tried the same on the laptop and the sequence plays but the video does not show even when disconnected from the projector. :unsure:

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe your laptop does not the same codecs installed for mp4's. Maybe try saving your media file as a wmv or avi and see what that does?

It has been a long time since I ran a projector with a show, but when I looked up older sequences that I had that did work, the video was a wmv.

Alan...

Hey default,

I've been thinking it's a driver or compatibility issue or something like you suggest. That's my next try. I'm going to export the video into WMV format, ship it on over to the laptop and see what happens. 

Thanks for the suggestions!  :wacko:

Okay, SOLVED... 

The video file, with audio, does have to be a WMV file to work solely on the laptop. My desktop has a Nivida GTX 1080 card. It has more video outputs, therefore I could run a separate cable to the projector. I just have to do some little timing adjustments. My first attempt was my own singing Christmas trees sequence, the video, and all other lights (48 channels thus far).  I thought I'd tackle the most difficult and work my way back. HA!

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :D

Good Deal, glad you got it sorted out. :D

You probably edit video on the desktop pc and it  would make sense it had the codecs/drivers to see the video on that pc vs. the laptop which probably only has MS codec on it. ie Window Media Player

I went back through some older post that involved Projectors and LOR that I know I have been part of, if your interested here are some links. If nothing else when people see your thread and want to learn more about projectors the links will be here for them also. I haven't used the projector in years, but it was an interesting process of figuring out "how do I".

Alan...

This was thread where a lot of good questions were asked and answered.

This thread was about my adventures with Video Projection, and making Masks (to only show the video in certain spots, rather than the whole house) I also made a 50ft lan cable to run from the projector to the laptop.

This thread adds a little more to the discussion of Lan cables instead of video cables. (useful for moving the projector away from the laptop)

• Like 1

Alan,

Hats off to you bro. Yes, I'll check those out. Thanks!

I've been doing video/multimedia as a hobby/job at times since HS. That's about 40+ years now! I've gone from linear to non-linear, and now using the computer to do sequencing. It fascinates me (and blows others away when they see it). I've always wanted to put together the three elements (lights, sound & video) for Christmas. I just checked it out on props which I still have to finish up! It looked pretty cool. Perhaps, I'll add another controller and get some floods and other goodies. lol My show will be really nothing compared to what I've seen, but it will be fun. :D

THANKS AGAIN!!! 

Just a thought on Codecs. If you install the free VLC Media player it will bring with it just about any Codec you might need for video playback. Its also a pretty good player with network capabilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Just a thought on Codecs. If you install the free VLC Media player it will bring with it just about any Codec you might need for video playback. Its also a pretty good player with network capabilities.

That's funny you say that Phil, that was going to be my next suggestion for the OP.  I have used VLC for years. I think the clue here was it was a new laptop probably without any codecs installed that's why I suggested the wmv or avi format, they are normally default codecs available with Windows media Player.

Here is the link for VLC if anyone is interested. VLC

Alan...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think what we discovered here is that LOR only recognizes WMV files. As long as they are the basis for the sequence it will play on the external monitor as desired. Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing! 

Merry Christmas all! :)