Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller 2 keeps working when power has been cut from Controller 1

Speedster

I'm using the ShowTime Central TSO Edition with multiple CTB16PC-ReadyToGO controllers with 2 plugs.  I did some initial testing tonight with 2 of my 3 controllers.  When I was finished I unplugged Controller 1 (the one connected to ShowTime Central).  I expected Controller 2 to stop working, but the lights connected to Controller 2 continued to flash/blink, and the FM transmitter continued to transmit.  Any idea why this is happening?  I thought ShowTime Central is on only when the 1st controller has power.

50 minutes ago, Speedster said:

I'm using the ShowTime Central TSO Edition with multiple CTB16PC-ReadyToGO controllers with 2 plugs.  I did some initial testing tonight with 2 of my 3 controllers.  When I was finished I unplugged Controller 1 (the one connected to ShowTime Central).  I expected Controller 2 to stop working, but the lights connected to Controller 2 continued to flash/blink, and the FM transmitter continued to transmit.  Any idea why this is happening?  I thought ShowTime Central is on only when the 1st controller has power.

From the blurb: The ShowTime miniDirector pulls its power from the nearest Light-O-Rama controller so there’s no worrying about ‘wall wart’ power supplies.

When you use CAT5, there are power pins in that cable.

Also many dumb light controllers will continue doing the last command without further input.  So Twinkle, twinkiles until commanded OFF (or plug pulled)

Each controller is outputting power on the same pair of wires.  As long as the cable length is not too long, any controller or combination of controllers can be powering the director.

Why not have the last show be 'Lights 'Off'.

My controllers stay powered. (all are out doors in LOR or CG1500 cases)

Warm helps keep moisture at bay and is a less stressful startup (lights on) on a cold day

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Why not have the last show be 'Lights 'Off'.

My controllers stay powered. (all are out doors in LOR or CG1500 cases)

Warm helps keep moisture at bay and is a less stressful startup (lights on) on a cold day

I'm looping an approximately 50-minute show on an SD card in ShowTime Central, and we'll manually activate it by using remote controls to supply power to all 3 controllers, and will also cut power to the controllers this way.  (The controllers will always remain plugged in.)  We'll probably run the show approximately 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm.  Since I'm not using a computer and we're having the show loop continuously until we decide to stop it, I'm not sure how to program a 'Lights Off' show on the SD card that will run from 11:00 pm until the show starts again at 4:30 pm the next day.

I already planned on using the remote control to supply/cut power to controller 1, so I guess using it for the other 2 controllers too won't be too much more of an effort.

Or you can do what I did.

The Mini-Director that came with the ShowTime Central package has the ability to be powered by an external power supply (commonly called a wall wart).  You isolate the Mini-Director from the controllers by following the instructions in the manual for the Mini-Director.  I checked the manual for the uMP3g3 model that currently ships and it is as easy as attaching the barrel connector of the external power supply to the Mini-Director.  If you have an older model like I have you need to remove a jumper in the case of the Min-Director to isolate it.  You then put the external power supply on a timer or your remote control and there is no need to power off any of the controllers.

This guy will do the trick.
http://store.lightorama.com/12vowatr.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basis21b said:

Or you can do what I did.

The Mini-Director that came with the ShowTime Central package has the ability to be powered by an external power supply (commonly called a wall wart).  You isolate the Mini-Director from the controllers by following the instructions in the manual for the Mini-Director.  I checked the manual for the uMP3g3 model that currently ships and it is as easy as attaching the barrel connector of the external power supply to the Mini-Director.  If you have an older model like I have you need to remove a jumper in the case of the Min-Director to isolate it.  You then put the external power supply on a timer or your remote control and there is no need to power off any of the controllers.

This guy will do the trick.
http://store.lightorama.com/12vowatr.html

The 3 remote controls to power on and off each controller are working as planned, but I like your idea better!  Since the miniDirector that came with my ShowTime Central TSO Edition a few months ago is a newer model, the 12V DC external power supply will work great with it.  Thanks, I ordered one!  :)

• The topic was locked